Good and Bad: Man released from prison after home invasion self defense shooting

This is a discussion on Good and Bad: Man released from prison after home invasion self defense shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too bad about the grandson though. there may have been some confusion and he mistook the first responders as more intruders. DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good and Bad: Man released from prison after home invasion self defense shooting

Good and Bad: Man released from prison after home invasion self defense shooting

Too bad about the grandson though. there may have been some confusion and he mistook the first responders as more intruders.

DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...08/detail.html

DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense
    Prosecutors Say Filberto Alderete Shot Man Trying To Forcefully Enter Home
    Alan Gathright, 7NEWS Content Producer

POSTED: 1:19 pm MDT July 20, 2010
    UPDATED: 7:12 pm MDT July 20, 2010
    [BUZZ: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [DELICIOUS: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [DIGG: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [FACEBOOK: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [REDDIT: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [RSS] [PRINT: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense] [EMAIL: DA: Grandfather Killed Intruder In Self-Defense]
    DENVER -- Denver prosecutors will not charge a 62-year-old grandfather initially arrested in a weekend killing, saying Filberto Alderete acted in self-defense when he shot a man trying to forcefully enter his home.

It appears Alderete fired one or two warning shots before shooting 36-year-old Jesus Sifuentes Jr. during the confrontation on his porch early Sunday morning, said district attorney spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough.

Prosecutors decided the shooting was justified under Colorado self-defense and "Make My Day" laws, Kimbrough said.

The "Make My Day" law states that a home occupant is "justified in using any degree of physical force" against an unlawful intruder if he reasonably believes the person "might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant."

Alderete, who was arrested Sunday on investigation of first-degree murder, was released from jail Monday, Kimbrough said.

The deadly shooting occurred as a group of people was involved in an altercation outside Alderete's duplex at 3436 West 18th Ave. about 12:35 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

Neighbors told 7NEWS that Alderete, a Vietnam veteran, had been repeatedly harassed by neighborhood gang members. They said that a group of men armed with knives and bats were milling around outside the Alderete home just before the shooting.

Kimbrough said the investigation showed that "Mr. Sifuentes was the only person who went up on the porch."

"Mr. Sifuentes was in the process of unlawfully gaining entry into the home when he was shot and killed by the homeowner," Kimbrough said.

Sifuentes died from a gunshot wound to the torso, the Denver medical examiner said.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I don't know the whole story, but if men looking like police (I would assume they would be uniformed officers at this point) who were identifying themselves as officers per SOP, then I'd put my gun down. To me, sounds more like the nephew was still looking for a fight. Good news about the grandfather though
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Wow.
    "Any degree of physical force?"

On one hand, I could see this one causing some trouble with shootings that would be considered unjustified anywhere else in The States. On the other, pretty good deterrent if you think you could be shot for just being on the property...
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Sounds like the grandfather never should have been locked up in the first place. What the heck is going on in Denver?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Sounds like the grandfather never should have been locked up in the first place. What the heck is going on in Denver?
    For his own safety? There was a large group that may now be looking for revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    For his own safety? There was a large group that may now be looking for revenge.
    Locked up for his own safety? That's a good one. Please remember to count me out of your safety plans...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I don't know the whole story, but if men looking like police (I would assume they would be uniformed officers at this point) who were identifying themselves as officers per SOP, then I'd put my gun down. To me, sounds more like the nephew was still looking for a fight. Good news about the grandfather though

Or....cop shot him without verbal warning, later claimed he DID warn him, then also tacked on the assault charge to further justify the shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Locked up for his own safety? That's a good one. Please remember to count me out of your safety plans...
    You're 70 and a bunch of punks try to break in. You kill one and the rest scatter. Would you want to spend the rest of the night alone?

No charges were filled. You nor I know on what terms he was taken in.

You're a young punk and a 70 y/o just blew another punk off his porch. I think I would remain gone if I knew said 70 y/o was still manning the arty.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Another win for the old gents

And another for Colorado; "you wanna force your way into my house? Well do ya; punk?"
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    You're a young punk and a 70 y/o just blew another punk off his porch. I think I would remain gone if I knew said 70 y/o was still manning the arty.
    You're an unarmed young punk and your friend just got blown away. I'd go arm up before coming back.

I hope they don't come back to "settle the score"!

I hate the name "make my day law"! What kind of crap is that? Never heard of castle doctrine/law?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

At least its not called the "He Needed Killin'" law
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    At least its not called the "He Needed Killin'" law
    That's a Southern law...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    They didn't need to lock up the grangfather for his own protection, he could have easily spent the night at a friends or relatives.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links