Another Craigslist Robbery

This is a discussion on Another Craigslist Robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_15562191 Craigslist scammers rob man at gunpoint in Vallejo Another man similarly robbed two weeks ago By Shauntel Lowe/Times-Herald staff writer Published By Times Herald ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Craigslist Robbery

Another Craigslist Robbery

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_15562191

Craigslist scammers rob man at gunpoint in Vallejo
    Another man similarly robbed two weeks ago
    By Shauntel Lowe/Times-Herald staff writer

Published By Times Herald
    Posted: 07/20/2010 06:45:12 PM PDT

A San Francisco man is out $2,000 after another man leapt from the bushes outside a Vallejo home, and robbed him at gunpoint Monday during what the victims thought was going to be a Craigslist car purchase.
    Police say it was the second time this month that a Craigslist fraud was committed in Vallejo. Two weeks ago, a man was beaten and robbed of $2,000 in a similar scam, police said.

Neither the victim nor his companion were injured during Monday's robbery, which occurred about 10:46 p.m. on Neptunes Court.

Police have no suspects in either case.

The San Francisco man, 23, had come from San Francisco on Monday to buy a car he saw advertised on Craigslist, Vallejo Police Sgt. Herman Robinson said.

He and a 25-year-old companion, also of San Francisco, got out of their car when they couldn't find the house listed in Craigslist, on the 200 block of Neptunes Court.

Robinson said the address they were looking for does not exist.

As the men stood on the sidewalk, another man jumped out of nearby bushes with a handgun and ordered them to the ground, police said.

The man is described as a 6-foot black male in his 20s with a heavy build, wearing dark clothing. A second suspect also was present and is described as a medium-build, black male in his 20s wearing dark clothing, Robinson said.

While the victims were on the ground, the first suspect took one man's wallet which contained $2,000 in cash he planned to use to buy the car, Robinson said.

The second victim took off running and was chased by the first suspect but fell and was made to empty his pockets, police said. He said he had no valuables except a cell phone, which the first suspect smashed to the ground.
    The suspects fled in a white vehicle that had been parked and left running, Robinson said, adding that the victims had noticed the vehicle when they pulled up.

An incident with similar circumstances and suspect descriptions happened about 11 p.m. July 7 on the same street, Robinson said.

A 59-year-old Concord man and his 16-year-old stepson were responding to what may have been the same Craigslist ad when they were robbed of about $2,000.

The pair had knocked on a door when they couldn't find the Neptunes Court address from the ad. The residents said they weren't selling a car and the man and his stepson walked away to call the number from the ad. As they walked, the man was struck from behind and left bleeding from the back of his head and left forearm.

The man said he was beaten and robbed of his wallet and cell phone by a 6-foot-1-inch, 180-pound clean-shaven black male in his 20s wearing a black "muscle man" short sleeved shirt and black gloves. A second suspect was described as a black male of unknown age.

The man was taken by ambulance to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.

Robinson said there is a "high probability" that the suspects in both cases are the same people.

Robinson advises people making similar purchases to meet in well-lit public places. He also suggested people not bring cash to a transaction with people they do not know.

2. Remove Ads

Hmmmmmmm..........
    Note to self, don't agree to do multi thousand dollar cash transactions with strangers at 2300hrs in unfamiliar territory.........
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Agree re 2300hrs.
    I went with my son to purchase a restore project out in the boonies in SoCal, off of Craig's List. There were four or five adult males at the loc. We were both strapped, in bright crimson and covering each other until we were on the road with the veh.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    We were both strapped, in bright crimson
    Huh?

Carrying, ccw, had a strap, heeled, had pieces, etc, and were in a state of red alert.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    This is why I do not buy things from people on craigs list. especially not for $2000 cash, especially not at 23:00! Cashiers check will be just fine! If you dont like it, sell your wares elsewhere!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Ture, but hard to plan for haggeling with a Cashiers check.

You've got to watch everything these days. Your own back being one of those things and most important. Those who are not interested in making an honest living will go to some extreme measures to survive or make their way. You must be ready for the day you meet them. Learn how to spot scammers from the beginning.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_3390860_spot...raigslist.html

You know, 20 years ago you didn't need an armed VIP protection detail to accompany you for a classified ad transaction. I prefer ebay and having the merchandise shipped via common carrier.

Still, If I ever do want to buy or sell from Craigslist or in a similar face-to-face situation, I think a minimum of two armed people plus yourself would be best.

I prefer two others plus myself, because it really takes a minimum of two people just doing over watch while you make the transaction. I believe it's too much to expect just one additional person be responsible for watching all possible avenues of attack. You really need two people dedicated to watching your back.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    This is why I do not buy things from people on craigs list. especially not for $2000 cash, especially not at 23:00! Cashiers check will be just fine! If you dont like it, sell your wares elsewhere!
    Most of the cashier's checks are bogus from what I've seen lately unless you are at the bank and watch them cut it.

I've done a multi-thousand dollar deals on craigslist with no problem. FWIW... my son and I were both armed as was the seller. More guns the merrier! Just use some common sense.

Bark'n,

I wouldn't have minded another hand, but none available at the time. Green I would have been uncomfortable, but we have a lot of street time between us.

Don't blame the victim!....Something something sitting in cars looking at Craigslist ads at 11PM while your dental hygenist from church 'programs your GPS'.

- : p
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm all about meeting at a neutral location. If I'm selling, I don't want them to know where I live. And if I'm buying, I'd rather them not be in their comfort zone.
    I still don't know why you'd meet up with anybody at 11pm

The problem is that sheep people don't think about crime happening, they never see it coming because they aren't looking for it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    In general, if somebody's selling something and you want to buy it, it should not be necessary to arrive in an armed convoy and have bodyguards. We aren't Russia quite yet.

In this case, there was no house at that address. That could have been determined in advance with a Google map check. Also, there was no need to be carrying $2000 in cash. First visit should have been to inspect the vehicle. Second visit to take vehicle to mechanic for check-out. Third visit to actually buy it.

So. How does this get us to 2300 hrs and a robbery? The buyers thought they were getting such a great deal, maybe a BMW 325i for two grand, that they were willing to override common sense. In most scams, greed on the part of the victim is involved. I hope they learned a good lesson from this (and I hope the cops find the dirtbag perps).
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Gotta do these things in public! in day time! lucky they got out un hurt
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links