Off Duty LEO Shoots Irate Customer

This is a discussion on Off Duty LEO Shoots Irate Customer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ron Reynolds & Scott Lawrence ORANGE - A man has died after he was shot by an off-duty officer with the Orange Police Department during ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Ron Reynolds & Scott Lawrence

ORANGE - A man has died after he was shot by an off-duty officer with the Orange Police Department during a disturbance outside an auto parts store late Monday afternoon, according to Police Chief Sam Kittrell.

James Whitehead, 28, of West Orange, was taken to a hospital by ambulance from O'Reilly Auto Parts on 16th Street in Orange at about 5 p.m. Monday.

He died a short time later at Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth in Beaumont.

The officer wasn't hurt.

Witnesses identified the officer as Capt. Robert Arnold. Chief Kittrell wouldn't release the officer's name.

An employee at the store told KFDM News a customer who wanted to return merchandise was arguing with the manager and became belligerent.

The manager called 911.

The employee said an off-duty officer with the Orange Police Department, Capt. Robert Arnold, was in the store with his daughter and witnessed the disturbance. The employee said the customer called Arnold, who is a black, a 'coon.' The employee said Arnold told the customer he didn't like him using derogatory language around the girl.
    http://www.kfdm.com/articles/store-3...stigating.html

This is local too me.Will be interesting to see what happened.
    Last edited by MattInFla; July 31st, 2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Paired down article, added source link

:S

Keep us updated!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

According to the employee, Capt. Arnold went outside the store to retrieve his badge from his truck so he could detain the man until police were able to respond to the 911 call about the disturbance. The employee said the customer followed Arnold outside.

Police are investigating what happened at that point to precipitate the shooting.
    Sounds very suspicious that he was followed outside. I'm very curious what the story will be outside
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Doesn't sound like he was armed but with the officer's little girl around, all it would have taken was one wrong move toward a child and you have an easy claim to the threat of GBH or death.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    That area has been known for racists for as long as I can remember. If you were black you didn't want to be anywhere near Vidor, TX. I bet this story will be on Houston radio 740 AM on the Michael Berry show.

Do off duty cops need their badge to detain someone? I'm sure it would help the situation, but is it a requirement? Could he have just identified himself as a police officer and made the arrest? I hope his daughter didn't have to see the shooting. Another life lesson for the rest of us...don't lose your cool or let your temper get the best of your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    Do off duty cops need their badge to detain someone? I'm sure it would help the situation, but is it a requirement? Could he have just identified himself as a police officer and made the arrest? I hope his daughter didn't have to see the shooting. Another life lesson for the rest of us...don't lose your cool or let your temper get the best of your mouth.
    maybe the guy did not believe he was a cop and he wanted to use the badge to diffuse the situation?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What does Orange have to do with Vidor?Well,I am in my 50's and my family came to Vidor in the 1930's.All I will say is you can hear anything on network news.I have lived hear all my life.So you see,I KNOW what I am talking about.The news media always had a deep desire to castrate Vidor and make the city a whipping post for the liberal media.The media will interview the worst person they can find to make the city look bad.By the way,Orange is a very racially diversified city,how can Vidor be blamed for this?

Mr. Stuart this is where the Vidor reference came from.

"Chief Kittrell said the Texas Rangers are investigating, along with the Orange Police Department, Vidor and Pinehurst Police, the Orange County Sheriff's Office and Orange County D.A.'s Office".

I grew up in Baytown and spent a ton of time in the Golden Triangle area. Vidor has always been known to be unfriendly towards blacks.

Ok,if you say so,end of conversation

I wasn't trying to offend you Mr. Stuart.

I understand,no hard feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I don't know if it's a requirement or not but other then a badge how are you going to actually prove your a cop? If someone claims to me to be a LEO they better be able to produce a badge.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I see that Rollo, but better yet, he produced a gun, which cop or not the guy should have listened and should have understood that he was the BG in the situation.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The authority rests with the individual. The possession of the badge or id would fall more in the realm of department policy, which normally requires carrying id/badge when carrying a weapon. Identifying ones self as LE is often required, whether this includes the badge could vary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links