Two Stray Bullets in my area in one day

This is a discussion on Two Stray Bullets in my area in one day within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Question: How can a revolver discharge if it is dropped? St. Peters, MO Another stray bullet A man waiting in line inside a St. Peters ...

Thread: Two Stray Bullets in my area in one day

Two Stray Bullets in my area in one day

Question: How can a revolver discharge if it is dropped?

St. Peters, MO
    Another stray bullet
    A man waiting in line inside a St. Peters gas station accidentally shot the man in front of him when his gun fell out of his pocket, police said Monday.
    Officer Melissa Doss said the shooting occurred about 6:30 a.m. at the Phillips 66 station near Highway 94 and Harvester Road.
    Both men were hit by the shot, but neither had life-threatening injuries, she said.
    Doss said the first man was pulling something out of a pocket when the small revolver fell out of a holster inside the pocket and dropped on the ground.
    The gun fired, grazing the leg of the gun's owner. The bullet traveled through the wrist of the man in front of him and lodged in that man's side, she said.

O'FALLON, Mo. •
    The 16-year-old lifeguard didn't know at first what hit her. She later found out it was a bullet.
    The stray bullet grazed the back of her upper leg while she was working on the deck at the Twin Chimneys subdivision pool about 6:30 p.m. Sunday, according to pool management and police. The slug landed nearby.
    The teen, whose identity was not released, was treated at a local hospital for what police said were minor injuries.
    Michelle Olejniczak, property manager for the subdivision pool, said the lifeguard is recovering and is expected to return to her job soon. Neither she nor any of the other lifeguards on duty heard anything resembling a gunshot.
    "This was just a fluke," she said. "It was just a weird thing."
    Police on Monday said it's possible that the bullet was fired from a significant distance away. They did not disclose the caliber of the weapon fired.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...81a809890.html
    "Proud To Have Been Banned by Huff PO"

2. Remove Ads

It depends on the type of revolver, and what kind of safety it has to prevent it from going off when droppped. Something like a .22 NAA revolver, if the owner left the hammer down on a round instead of the notches like its supposed to rest on, could do it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That's why I like my Ruger revolvers with the "transfer bar" safety.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Couldn't a older S&W with the firing pin on the hammer fire if dropped on the hammer?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Couldn't a older S&W with the firing pin on the hammer fire if dropped on the hammer?
    No since they have a hammer block that is withdrawn only when the trigger is pulled.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A Garland, Texas LEO accidentally shot himself in the leg with his back up gun, an older .25 caliber semi auto, when the gun went off as he was getting out of his patrol car. He ended up loosing a leg, since the bullet went down his thigh. This was back in the 1970's and I don't know the make of the gun. He did not touch the trigger or even the gun.

It wasn't me.

I hadn't heard about the one near Harvester.

Here's an update for the O'Fallon shooting: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...81a809890.html
    Police seize rifles after learning teens were target shooting near the Twin Chimneys subdivision.

O'Fallon, Mo., police said a tip led them to five teenagers who may have been target shooting less than a mile from a Twin Chimneys subdivision pool where a lifeguard was grazed by a bullet on Sunday.

Investigators have seized four .22-caliber rifles for ballistics tests.

1) I 'm wondering about this one, if he tried to grab it as it fell and he found the trigger. I've dropped a "old" design revolver on pavement and never went off, it is not that easy to do. The guy needs to obviously work on his carry method and gun retention.

2) Why seize them, unless they were shooting in an area / direction that they shouldn't have been... which then would be good cause.

One guy here left a place that was posted, and when he got to his car got in the trunk and went to stick his .380 back into his back pocket, without a holster. He shot himself in the buttocks. I'm sure he has yet to live that down.

One guy was traveling down an Interstate by-pass around the city, and crashed. They found a .22 bullet in his head and he was dead. Someone (expect kid) may have been shooting in the flood relief canal out there and shouldn't have been. Whoever did the shooting, was never found.

A guy (don't remember where) went to the hospital because he kept having these "headaches" over a couple of days. They found he had a .38 cal bullet in the side of his head and he never knew he had been shot.

Bullets..... don't make noise. They may hit something that makes noise or breaks upon impact, but in themselves.... are quite quiet. Reason some people never realize they are being shot at, because they don't hear the report. Been there, and have seen it happen... when my partner asked "what's that " , I had to tell him to get behind the friggin car because someone was shooting at us. I heard the distance gunshot, but he didn't. A guy was shooting at us long distance with a rifle and hitting pretty dang close. One had missed his head by about 1-2 inches.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by MoResident View Post
    Question: How can a revolver discharge if it is dropped?
    No transfer bar or hammer block to protect the firing pin. Gun is dropped onto the hammer, hammer engages firing pin, firing pin fires round. Older revolvers can be problematic with this.

Another reason not to carry extra stuff in the same pocket as your gun too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links