1 killed, 2 hurt, in Montana bear attack

This is a discussion on 1 killed, 2 hurt, in Montana bear attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1 killed, 2 hurt, in Montana bear attack Posted 11:30 PM ET COOKE CITY, Mont., Jul 28, 2010 (UPI via COMTEX) -- A bear attacked ...

Posted 11:30 PM ET

COOKE CITY, Mont., Jul 28, 2010 (UPI via COMTEX) -- A bear attacked campers in a Montana campground early Wednesday, killing one of them and wounding two others, authorities said.

Ron Aasheim of the state Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department said it appeared the victims were camped in different locations of the Soda Butte Campground near Cooke City and were attacked separately sometime between midnight and 2 a.m., KTVQ-TV, Billings, Mont., reported.

Only one bear was suspected in the attacks, the report said. It wasn't known whether it was a black bear or a grizzly.
    www.upi.com

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...ar-attack.aspx

People just don't learn. This is why becoming armed is important.
    Last edited by MattInFla; July 31st, 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Article pared down to clipping

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post

Posted 11:30 PM ET

"Our hope is that it is in the area and will return this evening, and then we'll have some answers as to why," Sam Sheppard, warden captain for the department's Bozeman office, told the Gazette.
    Bringing in the "Bear Whisperer" I see.

What a shame. I'm not so sure as to the affect of the horn honking though. They may start to learn that as a dinner bell.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Unhappy

Are campers not allowed to carry firearms ? I have never been camping in bear country but I would not do it if I could not be armed for self protection. Sorry for the dead and injured.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have to agree with the post above. If I am not able to bring something to defend myself with, there is no way that I am camping in bear country.

That has to be a terrible way to go.

Personally, a soft sided abode in the habitat of genus ursus mandates sufficient defensive capability to disuade or dispatch any inquisitive or hungery members of same.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^UMMM^^^^^^Yeah^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about sleeping in a tent on my own property.
    I'll be doggoned of I'm going to feel safe with just a thin piece of rip stop between me an Gentle Ben, No way no how.
    My Idea of adventure is getting in the car and going for an ice cream cone.
    People are nuts.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
    ~ Henny Youngman
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I heard about this on the raido today. It is terrible. A couple of my mom's dogs have been attacked, and we are thinking it was a black bear. One had been spotted a few times in there area recently.

Contrast this with what happened in Denali recently when a guy took out a grizzly with 9 rounds of 45 ACP as it charged his female companion.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Ironically, after looking it up..... I've been at that campground and in that area. Beautiful area. Also, not far from there is the "one" place I have seen grizzlies in the wild.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...cc4c002e0.html

FWP euthanizes grizzly after fatal attack; three cubs headed for Billings zoo
    NICK WOLCOTT/CHRONICLE

Trucks towing bears captured at the Soda Butte Campground outside of Cooke City arrive at the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks office in Bozeman Friday morning.

Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:00 am | Updated: 10:45 pm, Fri Jul 30, 2010.

Tags: Soda Butte bear attack, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks By LAUREN RUSSELL Chronicle Staff Writer and The Associated Press | 0 comments

A female grizzly bear was euthanized Friday afternoon after DNA test results confirmed she was responsible for the predawn maulings at a campground outside of Yellowstone National Park Wednesday that killed one man and injured two other people, wildlife officials said.

Bear hair, saliva and tissue samples collected by investigators and tested at a forensics lab in Laramie, Wyo., proved that the sow attacked three people at the Soda Butte Campground near Cooke City, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials said.

"We can't relocate such a bear into the wild again," Chris Servheen, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service grizzly bear recovery coordinator, explained Friday.

Her three yearling cubs, who likely participated in the attacks, too, have all been rounded up by wildlife officials and will be sent to ZooMontana in Billings as soon as possible, officials said

story continues.......

LOCATION / MAP : http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/117096.html
    This also shows a satellite mapquest format map, which you can zoom in or out, definitely BEAR country.

Definition of either a brave or a stupid Dog : the one's they use for tracking a bear.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Four bears instead of one, that increases the problem considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Four bears instead of one, that increases the problem considerably.
    I'm wondering if the cubs did the exploring / attacking, and mom came to protect them.....

I've had that nearly happen with a black bear, and the "cub" was the one who I was nose to nose with thru a tent flap.... they were just exploring it to figure out what it was. I thought mom would be over there in the middle of us any second. Mom growled several times and convinced the cub to leave us and follow her..... thank God.

First hand account : http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15636559
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Glad for you that she did not charge.
    I wouldn't doubt that, that was the case, as inquisitive as cubs are.

Links