Good Shoot

This is a discussion on Good Shoot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By Jose Jesus Zaragoza, The Sun A store owner at this small grocery store last week thwarted a robbery attempt when he pulled out a ...

Thread: Good Shoot

Good Shoot

By Jose Jesus Zaragoza, The Sun

A store owner at this small grocery store last week thwarted a robbery attempt when he pulled out a weapon and fired at the three suspects, wounding one.INI/Jose Zaragoza

BELLE GLADE n A local store owner decided he wasn’t going to be the victim of a robbery last week.

After three suspects shoved him to the ground and took his money, the man pulled out a gun and followed them out of his store, shooting and hitting one twice.

The incident happened on June 16, at about 3:30 p.m.

According to the Belle Glade Police Department, that’s when three suspects entered Lake Supermarket on Ave. A, a small, privately owned grocery store.

The suspects looked around the store, behaving like any other group of customers, and grabbed a soda. When they took the merchandise to the front counter, and the store owner rang them up for the purchase, they pushed him to the floor and began to grab money from the open cash register.

They hurriedly got the money and started to flee from the scene.

The store owner then reached for his gun, which was tucked away in one of the store counters, and opened fire on the suspects.

Some of the suspects dropped the money on the floor and ran outside.

When the last of the suspects dropped a bundle of the money on the sidewalk outside of the store, the owner ordered the suspects to stop, firing at them when they continued to run.

He hit one of the suspects, catching him with a bullet to each leg, including one that went through his knee and another that hit him higher on his leg.

Despite the injuries, and leaving a trail of blood behind him, the suspect managed to run for five blocks and momentarily escape capture.

Police later caught up with him in an open field.

The juvenile was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries and was arrested for robbery.

The other two suspects got away.

According to police, the owner of the store will not be facing any charges, saying he was only defending his property. The case is being handled by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

This town is where I grew up.
    I like the way the reporter call's them suspects and
    not victims.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

A "good" shoot is not having to shoot

A good shoot in my line of work-
    is a legal shoot.
    Sorry for not wording it more clearly.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg
    A "good" shoot is not having to shoot

Then how could it be a "shoot"? It doesn't make any sense. Please explain further!

(I'm so confused)

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903
    A good shoot in my line of work-
    is a legal shoot.
    Sorry for not wording it more clearly.

No problemo.

I understand...Legal/justified shoot now

In some states that would not be a 'good shoot' as he shot at persons that were fleeing and at time of trigger pull not being in imminent danger.
    Yes he was robbed and yes he demanded that they halt, after being pushed to the ground and they fleeign the store.
    Also why is it that people in such cases are mindful enough to keep a pistol in their store but not mindful enough to provide employees (or themselves) with a proper holster so as to carry it discretely on their person.
    He was fortunate that all they did was push him down _and_ that he landed in a place as well as position that allowed him to be within reach of it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Interesting. It highlights the differences from state to state. I don't think this would be considered a good shoot in Virginia, because the suspects were fleeing and the store owner's life was no longer in immediate threat. Too bad our castle doctine bill didn't pass...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

In Tennessee this would not be a good shooting because the threat ceased to exist when the suspects left the store. This is a legality that will probably not be rectified in the near future. Dadgum the luck!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Didn't sound like a good shoot to me, he shot unarmed men who were running away. Even if he dodges criminal charges, I suspect he's gonna eat it in civil court.

Not in FL.
    If no chargers are filed.
    Protected in civil court.
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    good for Fla.
    cant do that in TN....

(Maybe a Taser? hmmmmmm.... ;o))
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

If the B.G.'S were on the retreat , how was it a good shoot ?

Links