Should he have just complied?

This is a discussion on Should he have just complied? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Vallejo man, 65, injured fighting knife-wielding robber Times-Herald staff report Posted: 07/30/2010 04:26:32 AM PDT A 65-year-old man cut his hand Thursday as he resisted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should he have just complied?

Should he have just complied?

Vallejo man, 65, injured fighting knife-wielding robber
    Times-Herald staff report
    Posted: 07/30/2010 04:26:32 AM PDT

A 65-year-old man cut his hand Thursday as he resisted an alleged robber armed with a knife.

The incident began at about 10:30 a.m., police said. The man was walking his dog on the 100 block of Copper Way when the suspect approached him from the rear and put a knife to his throat, police said.

Read the rest of this copyrighted article here.
    Last edited by Bumper; July 30th, 2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Complying with copyright laws.

2. Remove Ads

65 YO apparently unarmed vs 20 YO armed with knife? Yup, comply. Pitch the wallet in one direction and try to run in the other.

Personally, I think that trying to judge a persons actions after the fact is not terribly productive. The reason I say that is that whatever action was taken or not taken has precluded any other possible outcomes.

One could use statistics to evaluate possible actions and potential outcomes in this and similar types of situations. While a general indicator of the possible or likely outcomes, it is by no means absolute.

IMO, each situation must be judged by the individual involved based on the perceived threat and the individuals attributes, training, experience and their perceived ability to effect the outcome in a positive manner. Other than that a perceived outcome of death or GBI to the victim would suggest resistance regardless individual capabilities.

Not enough info to call it as anything but a strong arm robbery.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Not enough info to call it as anything but a strong arm robbery.

- Janq
    With a knife to his throat?

No situational awareness, no carry piece, and a very useless dog. Fighting bsck may have saved his life or just cost him a bunch of stitches, who knowes which.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i think he did what was right for him in that situation, someone pulls a knife on me, im apt to deploy my own and defend myself
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    i think he did what was right for him in that situation, someone pulls a knife on me, im apt to deploy my own and defend myself
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Well he's alive after having a knife at his throat...can we fault him?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Maybe his personal code of honor demanded that he fight rather than surrender. If he chooses to live and die fighting for himself, I can't really fault him for that. Perhaps he will be more prepared in the future because of this incident, and that preparation could one day save his life. Obviously those of us here would like to get it right the first time which is why we discuss these things.

Being that located in Northern California, just outside San Francisco, the person was more than likely walking a bichon, a toy poodle or a chihuahua.

LOL Barren. Yeah, the ones that help people drive a 2,000 lb. vehicle down the road, climbing all over the driver and sticking their heads out the window while doing 75 mph. Yeah, I've seen them too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Well he's alive after having a knife at his throat...can we fault him?
    no way to know how any other action would have turned out...

Vallejo Ca. used to be the home of Mare Island Naval Shipyard and has always been a low rent district for the bay area. The shipyard was closed several years ago, the local economy is in the dump. The city of Vallejo filed bankruptcy and has fired most of the LEO's. The criminals have the run of the city. I lived and worked there (shipyard) in the 80's and carried every place I went Vallejo was not safe then and it isn't now.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

So, let me try and understand this....he allowed someone to follow him, while walking a dog, and allowed the person to get close enough to hold a knife to his throat and demand his wallet?
    Then tried to resist? Grabbed a knife with his hand? Seems like he should have just given the guy his wallet and walked away....now he's gonna have a sore hand for a while and lost his wallet too.
    I guess he was in a feisty mood or thought he could overcome a guy with a weapon with his bare hands....maybe he'll think a little differently from now on....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links