Other side : Texas man .... free after 27 years for Rape he didn't commit

This is a discussion on Other side : Texas man .... free after 27 years for Rape he didn't commit within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/30...est=latestnews Texas Man Walks Free After Serving 27 Years for Rape He Didn't Commit Published July 30, 2010 | Associated Press Texas Department of Criminal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other side : Texas man .... free after 27 years for Rape he didn't commit

Other side : Texas man .... free after 27 years for Rape he didn't commit

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/30...est=latestnews

Texas Man Walks Free After Serving 27 Years for Rape He Didn't Commit

Published July 30, 2010
    | Associated Press

Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Michael Anthony Green, 44, was released on bond after spending 27 years in prison for a rape he did not commit.

HOUSTON -- A Texas man who has spent the last 27 years imprisoned for a rape he didn't commit is free.
    Michael Anthony Green walked out of jail Friday after a judge ordered he be freed on a $500 bond.
    His release was made possible after the Harris County District Attorney's Office reopened his case. New DNA tests it commissioned showed he did not commit a 1983 rape of a woman who had been abducted. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals will make a final ruling on his innocence.
    Last edited by JD; July 31st, 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Edited to comply with copy right laws. See Forum News/Feedback for more info.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Why does an innocent man have to post bond????? If I was innocent and locked up for that long, I can assure you that their will be a whopper of a civil case against the agency that put me away.

I'm sure the Harris County taxpayers will feel this one. In prison since he was 17 and now they know he didn't do it.

I'm all for law and order, but I really do believe that too many of our prosecutors are more interested in winning convictions or clearing cases than in justice.

I don't know if there is a monetary sum sufficient enough to ever compensate a man for such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I don't know if there is a monetary sum sufficient enough to ever compensate a man for such a thing.
    Nothing can repay what he has lost in life....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Post 500 dollars to get out of jail when he was cleared

Notice at the end of the article, there is a 2nd case.... same thing on another guy who spent several years in prison and now found to be innocent.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I hope Mr. Green becomes a multi-millionare.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    At any age this is a travesty, but the years that this man lost are a tragedy. Age 17-44. Just thinking about what I've done from age 17 until now (I'm 39), makes me very sad for this person. Travelling the world, going to college, the 20's party scene, getting married, having kids, establishing a career. Sure, he's not too old to do most of that stuff, but its not the same. There is no compensation that can make up for his stolen youth.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Not to diminish what really has been lost, but you don't know the circumstances of his conviction. Many of the mistaken conviction stories ive seen are about guys who already have a lawbreaking history. They are fishy to begin with and are already on the road to crime. i'm not saying this guy is, but its important to know the whole story. Just because they are found innocent in this case doesn't make them clean.

People here talk all the time about getting scumbags off the street early in their career of crime. I believe that cases like this are more often the result of a scumbag getting bagged for something they didnt do (when there is plenty of stuff they could be bagged for if it was known) than an upstanding citizen getting randomly hosed out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Not to diminish what really has been lost, but you don't know the circumstances of his conviction. Many of the mistaken conviction stories ive seen are about guys who already have a lawbreaking history. They are fishy to begin with and are already on the road to crime. i'm not saying this guy is, but its important to know the whole story. Just because they are found innocent in this case doesn't make them clean.

People here talk all the time about getting scumbags off the street early in their career of crime. I believe that cases like this are more often the result of a scumbag getting bagged for something they didnt do (when there is plenty of stuff they could be bagged for if it was known) than an upstanding citizen getting randomly hosed out of the blue.
    Thanks, I'll pass on the department of pre-crime thank you very much. Cases like this undermine the rule of law; make people ever more distrustful of law enforcement; reduce the efficiency of our legal system; distress crime victims and to add insult to injury, incarcerate relatively small time offenders while leaving the dangerous perpetrators not only free to prey on more victims but actually free of pursuit (fear of which frequently serves to keep predators in line for a time and sometimes indefinitely).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

I'm with you. Many so called "innocent" persons have a lengthy criminal history and are guilty of many other crimes. We know nothing of this guy's history. This could be looked at another way, how many crimes were not committed because this guy was locked up?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Its not pre-judgment when they already have a similar record. Live a life of crime and don't be surprised when you come up suspect frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    Why does an innocent man have to post bond?????
    Michael Anthony Green walked out of jail Friday after a judge ordered he be freed on a $500 bond.

His release was made possible after the Harris County District Attorney's Office reopened his case. New DNA tests it commissioned showed he did not commit a 1983 rape of a woman who had been abducted. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals will make a final ruling on his innocence.
    I think he had to post bond, because he is technically not innocent/free until the court rules on it. $500 is probably a minimum bond that they could impose to go ahead and get him out of jail until the ruling makes it official. That's just speculation on my part based on reading the article.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I'm with you. Many so called "innocent" persons have a lengthy criminal history and are guilty of many other crimes. We know nothing of this guy's history. This could be looked at another way, how many crimes were not committed because this guy was locked up?
    None? All this pre-crime crap is getting irritating. We could say the same thing about you. As to Mr Green. The article specifically says he was picked up for a lineup while walking down the street in the same area. It also says the state has ALREADY IDENTIFIED the 4 individuals who actually committed the crime, but can't charge them due to statue of limitations.

http://www.khou.com/news/Family-wait...-99636634.html
    by Taylor Timmins Wiley & Michelle Homer / khou.com
    khou.com
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    Updated Friday, Jul 30 at 7:14 PM
    "Lykos said members of the Post-Conviction Review Section have identified all four of the men involved in the assault. She said they’ve all been in prison, and one of them is still behind bars."
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links