Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

This is a discussion on Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Please don't let this be an AR-15, or AK/SKS. - Janq...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

Please don't let this be an AR-15, or AK/SKS.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ctsketch or others, does anyone know whether concealed carry is common in that part of CT? (CT's a may-issue, according to HandgunLaws.us.)

Seems to me at some point we should be seeing more instances of carriers defending against such mass murders, when they're caught in the crowd. Perhaps there simply isn't a great enough percentage people carrying yet.
    The problem, though, is that this happened on company premises and I'm willing to bet that the company has a strict "no guns" policy. As much as I hate to sound like I'm politicizing a horrible tragedy, this is gun control at its finest.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

my workplace has no such policy. once I get my PM9 it will be in my pocket until they say otherwise
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Please don't let this be an AR-15, or AK/SKS.

- Janq
    http://www.courant.com/community/man...0,837990.story

"Thornton shot a number of people and then shot himself with a .223 caliber semiautomatic rifle as police approached and is dead, sources said. Two people were shot outside the building and five were shot inside, police sources said"

Doesn't look good Janq!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

F...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Oh dear... I'm betting AR-15 with that description. This is really sad to hear. Hopefully we'll get lucky and the media will villainize the man and not the rifle.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    In a twisted way, we can be thankful that he chose a .223 instead of a 12-gauge shotgun. Then it would be 19 dead instead of 9.

But of course, brace yourselves for a trashing of "assault rifles" from the Brady Bunch.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The problem, though, is that this happened on company premises and I'm willing to bet that the company has a strict "no guns" policy. As much as I hate to sound like I'm politicizing a horrible tragedy, this is gun control at its finest.
    Yup. It's a horrible formula that fails nearly every time. Uncertain about the specifics at this particular business, but it's highly likely they've hopped up onto the No Guns Allowed bandwagon.

No doubt, (a) ensuring the good guys have no effective means of defense via threats of termination and (b) not being able to ensure the bad guys are either elsewhere or disarmed results in exactly this sort of tragedy. About the ONLY way a BG can be stopped on the instant of snapping and deciding to commit this sort of "random" attack is to have as many of the potential target victims be armed themselves. Anything short of that is essentially allowing (even daring) the murders to proceed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Oh dear... I'm betting AR-15 with that description. This is really sad to hear. Hopefully we'll get lucky and the media will villainize the man and not the rifle.
    Could have been a Ruger Mini-14 in .223. I see no where it said the rifle was black or was an "assault" rifle.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

It takes an unexpected angle...

Gunman Opens Fire at Hartford Beer Distributorship, Kills 8 Before Shooting Himself
    Connecticut Gunman Complained of Racial Harassment at Work, According to Girlfriend's Mother

By EMILY FRIEDMAN and NED POTTER
    Aug. 3, 2010

...The suspect was identified as 34-year-old Omar S. Thornton, according to John Hollis of the Connecticut Teamsters Union, of which Thornton was a member. Police said Thornton opened fire before turning his gun on himself. A spokesman said police never fired their own guns.

Joanne Hannah, who said she was the mother of Thornton's girlfriend, told ABC Thornton had called his mother this morning, apologizing for what he had done and saying goodbye.

Hannah said Thornton had complained for a long time about racial harassment, and claimed he had pictures in his cell phone of the N-word and a hangman's noose scrawled on a bathroom wall at Hartford Distributors.

She said Thornton was a hard-working, "mellow" man. However, she said, she knew he did have pistol permits and another relative says he would occasionally "come up" with a case of beer, presumably taken from the distributorship.

A union official told The Associated Press that Thornton had "made no complaint of racism to us or to any federal or state agency."

"It's got nothing to do with race," said Teamsters official Christopher Roos, according to The Associated Press. "This is a disgruntled employee who shot a bunch of people."...

The full report can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-co...ry?id=11313457
    - Janq

Personal Note:
    I too had at an employer in the long ago past endured exact same. Notes and written statements left at and in (through the air ventilation slot) my assigned locker as well as among the work environment.
    I did complain to management even as the statements left around the work space were obvious. The manager basically told me to go pound sand. Further at a subsequent time when I'd gone to management and informed them well in advance that I would be taking the then new MLK day off as it is a Federal holiday and that I expected no pay nor allowance but rather wanted to use a sick day (I was one of only two minority persons among ~40 at that place and the only negro), my manager commented tome; "Kennedy doesn't get holiday off so you don't either.".
    I was told to show up for work or do not show up again. I quit.
    And I vowed then to never not take MLK day off ever for the rest of my life. I was 20 then and I've kept to that rule ever since, now being self employed the last 15 and age 40 in a few weeks.
    But even still among that very toxic environment and several others prior and after; It never once occurred to me to come in and do my coworkers mass harm. I have thought to fight one or two, but to shoot people up...That's just crazy talk! : |

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Man,

Not another one, and this one only a few miles down the road from me. All the more reason to carry all the time, everywhere when possible. Unfortunately I can't carry at work (nuke plants tend to frown on that), but I definitely carry whenever possible.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Jang. What is the "unexpected angle" the shooter's race? Sorry if I am unable to follow said angle.

I'm guessing the unexpected angle is that the shooting is in some way rooted in racial tensions. Most of us were probably expecting a worker disgruntled at missing a promotion or pay raise.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm guessing the unexpected angle is that the shooting is in some way rooted in racial tensions. Most of us were probably expecting a worker disgruntled at missing a promotion or pay raise.
    Nothing personal but I'll wait for Jang's reply.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    - I'm also in CT and I know that virtually all of the Insurance and Financial companies in Hartford have a strict "no weapons" policy, including knives, etc. Not that it would stop something like this tragedy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links