Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

This is a discussion on Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Janq, good thing you weren't caught on tape stealing something. Then your racial harassment issues would have had legitimacy. (Sarcasm)...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Janq, good thing you weren't caught on tape stealing something. Then your racial harassment issues would have had legitimacy. (Sarcasm)
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Janq, good thing you weren't caught on tape stealing something. Then your racial harassment issues would have had legitimacy. (Sarcasm)
    Indeed.

As to this dudes situation I would not at all doubt that he was not alone in his thievery activity.
    I'd bet many of his coworkers were five finger discounting themselves product off the production line as well, which to be caught & called out singularly for doing same no doubt added fuel to this guys internalized mental fire about on the job discrimination/racism et. al.

Not an excuse but rather a potential insight.
    Still though at the end of the day; Crazy people think and do crazy things. : |

- Janq

P.S. - For those wh might take issue with my use of the generic term "crazy" please insert your own preferred variant that is most comfortable for you.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I had to let one guy go 30 years ago. I was concerned enough to have a 44 mag in my pocket when I told him. Keep in mind that back then Texas had no concealed carry law but I figured that I would take what came down if I had to use it. He did get hot and broke a door on the way out but no one ever knew that I was armed.
    Many moons ago as a HS student working my way to survive and into college I'd worked at a place (different than the place I mentioned prior) where the boss man had to manage a staff of roughly 20 roughnecks, plus me.
    They commonly drank on the job, smoked weed and snorted lines on the job and monthly somebody said something to somebody sideways and there would be a fist fight out back near the loading dock. This was the late 80s and early 90s. Times very different than today.
    Best most fun job and work group I ever had pleasure to work with, hands down. : p

Anyway the boss man then being a slight build and quiet man for ages had made it no secret that he carried a 1911 to work everyday.
    He was never direct and boisterous about it but at the same time if one of the much bigger roughnecks got out of line to such a degree that he just looking at them or saying in calm words get back in order, he would not hesitate to brandish his 1911.
    We'd all seen it at least once...And 'Dave' became known as the guy to not press.

FFWD 19 yrs....

I'm now the same age as he had been. I still stay in touch with him on a friendly basis.
    Last year he retired from the job.
    Guess what he shared with me that left me in stitches....That gun he'd had and was always ever present either locked in his office top left drawer or in his briefcase if not displayed at the loading dock after a fight in his left hand, never once had ammunition in it.
    In fact he said he didn't ever buy ammo and doesn't like guns at all. The gun was a hand me down from his brother and he didn't even know how to shoot a gun.

He thought it was hilarious that I now am a shooter and prefer 1911s.
    I thought it was equally hilarious that he was not, and ran very real risk of getting his behind handed to him if folks on the job had only known his gun was empty and he had no clue how to use it aside from standing there with it in hand.

Do not do this. : p

- Janq

P.S. - As well Dave was the most raw intelligence book smart man I've ever met.
    Why he was working this job was not something anyone could understand nor he explain, other than he liked his work.
    Smart as hell but on this item oddly very very dumb. : \
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member

Question Type permit

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    some very bad news
    Anyone local know if Connecticut requires a permit to own, or is this likely to be a CHP?

Any other coverage as to type permit?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Anyone local know if Connecticut requires a permit to own, or is this likely to be a CHP?

Any other coverage as to type permit?
    - I believe you need a pistol permit to even buy a gun in CT. I'm not 100% sure since I've had my permit since I was 21.

CT's permit is a "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". It doesn't specify open carry or concealed carry, which has sparked some debate in the last few years. I'm guessing Omar Thornton had a standard permit since he listed Hoffman's Gun Center as place where he frequented. They won't let you shoot at their range without a CT Pistol Permit.

VIP Member

Question Did he have a driver's license too?

Authorities found two 9 mm handguns at the scene, and a shotgun in Thornton's car.

So he drove there and stored guns in his car, as well as on his person.

Bottom line, if he wasn't licensed to drive a car, all these lives could've been saved.

Where's the website or news article licensed driver killers?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I'm guessing Omar Thornton had a standard permit since he listed Hoffman's Gun Center as place where he frequented. They won't let you shoot at their range without a CT Pistol Permit.
    OK I still confused.

Is a "standard permit" a permit to carry?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Dave,

I know you are being serious.
    But your post had me laugh out loud.

"Licensed driver killers." : p

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I believe you need a pistol permit to even buy a gun in CT. I'm not 100% sure since I've had my permit since I was 21.

CT's permit is a "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". It doesn't specify open carry or concealed carry, which has sparked some debate in the last few years. I'm guessing Omar Thornton had a standard permit since he listed Hoffman's Gun Center as place where he frequented. They won't let you shoot at their range without a CT Pistol Permit.

You need a permit to buy
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    OK I still confused.

Is a "standard permit" a permit to carry?
    - Yes, it's a standard permit to carry. Although on my permit, there are four types listed on the back of the card.

0 = Pistol Permit
    1 = Security Guard Firearms Permit
    2 = Bail Enforcement Agent Firearms Permit
    3 = Combination Security Guard/BEA Firearms Permit

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Dave,

I know you are being serious.
    But your post had me laugh out loud.

"Licensed driver killers." : p

- Janq
    It was meant as sarcasm -- which is in some ways has a humor element.

So, LOL is welcome. , if you want.

DaveH

BTW -- The more you post the more I like to meet you over a beverage of choice someday -- very interesting past.

Years ago, I quit talking much about my past. A co-worker of mine happened to have an investigation to do in the town where I went to HS. Having decided that my varied past was stretched a tad, he took the time to check it out. Later, he told other co-workers and it got back to me that everything had checked out, even though they had a pool on what wouldn't.

From then on I alway tried to preface stories with "I had a part-time job", "a short term job", "a summer job", "two summer jobs", one full-time and three part-time jobs", etc. but it didn't help. So, I quit talking much about my past.

Even, my 31 years w/ the Government was less of a career that a soap opera of job changes -- RIFs, Furloughs, reorganizations, agencies abolished, organizational slice and dice, etc. Somehow, I just managed to land on my feet -- I like to think being good at what I did had a part, but I know luck played a larger part.

Good to hear from someone else with a bit of variety.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In Ct one needs a pistol permit to carry. As far as I know you don't need a permit to own a handgun. I believe you can obtain special paper work from the town PD to go and purchase a pistol just to bring it home.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

CNN has confirmed 2 9mm pistols. Also, according to their report this man ran around for 45 minutes shooting people, inside & outside the building. What if 1 person had been carrying? I know that's not a question the media want to hear. And how long does it take the local police to respond?

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    CNN has confirmed 2 9mm pistols. Also, according to their report this man ran around for 45 minutes shooting people, inside & outside the building. What if 1 person had been carrying? I know that's not a question the media want to hear. And how long does it take the local police to respond?
    If, the 45 minutes is true and the news account of multiple SWAT entry points to clear the building, I have a few questions.
    My understanding was that it was accepted pretty wide spread that in an active shooter incident, waiting for the arrival and deployment of special units costs lives. That was the driving force for the concept of the first few officers on scene becoming an entry team to seek out and eliminate the threat that an active shooter presents. It appears that somebody, either didn't get the memo or refuses to accept the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
    ABCNews this morning indicated that he had two handguns stowed in his lunch box, as kept in a break room.
    After signing a company provided resignation letter he asked if he could get a drink of water and was give an okay for that. He went to the break room, retrieved his lunch box and returned to the office where his superiors were located and with gun in hand and began firing without saying a word.

Police response was stated to have been inside of :3m.
    But because the plant is huge and there had been pallets of merchandise (cased beer) stacked everywhere police faced lanes of what they termed as artificial hallways. As well apparently the plant is huge, and he knew how to maneuver as he sought out other specific co-workers to shoot...While the responding police had no idea what the logisitics of the plant might be. Home field advantage.

They found him 45m later (the shooting had stopped well before that) in a corner room shot in the head by his own hand.
    he'd had a third handgun as well as a shotgun along with ammo for both in his car.

More info can be found here...

Connecticut Shooter Chased Victims, Stowed Weapons in Lunchbox
    Omar Thornton, Gunman at Hartford Distributors, Killed Eight Before Turning Gun on Himself
    By EMILY FRIEDMAN
    Aug. 4, 2010
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticut...ry?id=11322281

- Janq

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links