Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

This is a discussion on Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Janq As well apparently the plant is huge, and he knew how to maneuver as he sought out other specific co-workers to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As well apparently the plant is huge, and he knew how to maneuver as he sought out other specific co-workers to shoot...
    - The local 5 o'clock news is reporting the same. A woman in a wheelchair saw Omar and he let her go.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    In Ct one needs a pistol permit to carry. As far as I know you don't need a permit to own a handgun. I believe you can obtain special paper work from the town PD to go and purchase a pistol just to bring it home.
    Yes I forgot about that, you can get a temporary permit that is good for purchasing.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Just started another thread about this today without realizing this was here. Sad situation.

Chilling 911 call from gunman "released 911 audio"

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/hartfor...-911-call-omar

"This is Omar Thornton, the shooter over in Manchester," he says to the 9-1-1 operator.

He says repeatedly that the motive behind the shooting is because of racial harassment.

It looks like the main sewer media has bit on the racial angle on this tragedy. Taking the heat of the typical anti-gun spin in their reporting.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    It looks like the main sewer media has bit on the racial angle on this tragedy. Taking the heat of the typical anti-gun spin in their reporting.
    If you listen to the 911 recording he goes on and on about how the company is racist. He says it over and over.

The media is not spinning this into a racist story. He, the shooter called 911 and said it was about racism. Listen to the 4 plus minutes of audio.

The details coming out aren't exactly pretty. It sounds like the catalyst for this was racial discrimination. The disciplinary action is what finally set everything in motion. I'm sure more information will come out in the following days...

Ok, take this hearsay for what it's worth.

My wife's colleague went to a birthday party a couple nights ago, and the guy who's party it was works at the distributor.

His comments were that racism is DEFINITELY a HUGE problem there, very rampant, and that in fact nearly everyone that he knows there steals product too. He compared it to an office worker taking a pack of post-it notes home from the office, that's how prevalent the beer theft is at that place.

I know it's no excuse for what the shooter did, but perhaps there's less media "spin" going on here than some seem to think, regarding the racism angle. A man can only take so much, you know.

Honestly Roalho as based on my own life experiences, I am very much inclined to think and believe exactly what you heard as to all points of degree.
    I'd stated same in an earlier post.

Not to say that as much excuses the action/reaction because it most definitely does not.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    It is horrible that something like that should happen again and again.
    Yes.

So long as businesses take little control over their perimeter defenses, so long as walk-ins off the street can easily gain access to areas throughout a businesses, so long as nearly nobody inside any such building is prepared to resist and withstand any concerted attack (even by a single individual), and so long as an angry person is prepared to suffer whatever injuries up to and including death, it'll keep happening. In other words, continuing to fail to do the same things forever will not change anything. But then, that shouldn't be a surprise to any business that gets hit like this, or to anyone who thinks about the basics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links