Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

This is a discussion on Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not all the details are in but the suspect is supposedly one of the dead. http://www.courant.com/community/man...,3865241.story...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad: another workplace shooting - several dead - Connecticut

Not all the details are in but the suspect is supposedly one of the dead.

http://www.courant.com/community/man...,3865241.story

GM
    It is horrible that something like that should happen again and again.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That's my town :( its been years since we've had a murder
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Story doesn't seem to be loading for me. Anyone got an alternate link?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

As featured at Hartford, CT based radio station 93.7 website:

At Least 3 Found Dead In Manchester Shooting
    hot937

At least three people are dead and at least three injured in a workplace shooting in Manchester at Hartford Distributors. State Police said Omar Thomas, the suspect, shot himself as police approached, and is dead. The suspect was an employee, the marketing director of the company said, before police identified Thomas.

A firefighter on duty said there were three people dead, but it was unknown whether the shooter was included in that number.

The shooting occurred shortly before 7:30 a.m. in a facility of the beer and wine distribution company, one of the state’s largest. At the time, there were about 35 or 40 people in the office and warehouse, said Brett Hollander, the director of marketing, whose family founded and owns the company.

“Our shifts were just changing,” said Hollander, who said the shooter was an employee.

“There are definitely some people that are shot, some people that are dead,” Hollander said, speaking in a tense and shaken voice at about 8:30 a.m. Employees were in a warehouse across the street when police entered the building where the shooter was located. “They just went in there with guns blazing,” he said.

South Windsor Police said they are assisting Manchester Police with investigating the shooting.

Hartford Hospital was treating three victims of the shooting, spokeswoman Rebecca Stewart said. One was in critical condition, one in fair and the condition of the third was not known.

Shortly after the shooting, a thick column of black smoke could be seen coming from the building. It later turned to white, then stopped as firefighters were on the scene.

A source said Thomas is believed to have used a rifle.

Hartford Distributors is at 131 Chapel Rd., near the border of South Windsor and Manchester in the area Buckland Hills Mall and Interstate 291. The company is one of the state’s largest beer and wine distributorships, carrying hundreds of brands. The company merged last year with Franklin Distributors, a South Windsor company. Employees are represented by the Teamsters union.

Hartford

Life Star Medical helicopter is on standby for the incident.

Source - http://hot937.radio.com/2010/08/03/a...ster-shooting/

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Not all the details are in but the suspect is supposedly one of the dead.

http://www.courant.com/community/man...,3865241.story
    The following is the story as for those who due to work related firewall restrictions may not be able to follow links outward from a website.
    Which is why I always post the story as along with the source URL. As well due to most of us being at work on company servers that might be actively tracked as based on page views, some folks may prefer to not follow external links but rather read them direct as within the forum page here.

~~~

As reported by the Hartford Courant

At Least 3 Dead In Manchester Workplace Shooting

Hartford Courant and Fox CT Staff Reports
    11:28 a.m. EDT, August 3, 2010

At least three people are dead and more injured in a workplace shooting in Manchester at Hartford Distributors, a family-owned beer and wine wholesaler.

Sources said Omar S. Thornton, 34, was a driver for the company and was described by a Teamsters Union official as a recent hire and a "disciplinary problem."

"The union was bringing him in to meet with the company to remedy the problem," said John Hollis, a Teamsters official. "He started shooting."

Thornton shot a number of people and then shot himself as police approached and is dead, sources said. Thornton was an employee, a company official said.

Hollis declined to describe the nature of the disciplinary problem, and he said he wasn't certain if the meeting had taken place when the shooting started.

A firefighter on duty said there were three people dead, but it was unknown whether the shooter was included in that number. More are injured, and at least one person was reported to have died after arriving at Hartford Hospital.

Source - http://www.courant.com/community/man...0,837990.story

- Janq
    Last edited by JD; August 3rd, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Edited to comply with copyright policy.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

FNC just reported 8 dead....including the gunman.... Fox said he used a rifle (they said the type I don't recall it) and killed himself before police arrived.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Nine now reported as dead:

From Comcast
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Terrible tragedy
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

ctsketch or others, does anyone know whether concealed carry is common in that part of CT? (CT's a may-issue, according to HandgunLaws.us.)

Seems to me at some point we should be seeing more instances of carriers defending against such mass murders, when they're caught in the crowd. Perhaps there simply isn't a great enough percentage people carrying yet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ctsketch or others, does anyone know whether concealed carry is common in that part of CT? (CT's a may-issue, according to HandgunLaws.us.)
    I don't know if its common or not, I mean there is a shooting range in Manchester mostly for target shooters. Myself and two other students from my jujutsu class have Carry permits and 2 of us live there and one near by. However I think we are the exception, there are more Carriers in the more western or southern part of CT
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Wonder if it was a AK. I can't imagine somebody reloading several times. This is very, very bad. Sick.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Seems to me at some point we should be seeing more instances of carriers defending against such mass murders, when they're caught in the crowd. Perhaps there simply isn't a great enough percentage people carrying yet.
    Slightly under 10 percent of the adult population in CT has pistol permits, a surprisingly high rate for a generally liberal state. However, there is no data available for how many actively carry.

When I lived in the Hartford area, the few people I knew for certain carried included a TV news reporter and most of his film crew, and a news director for a major Hartford radio station...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links