Fed LEO shoots dog...check the comments

This is a discussion on Fed LEO shoots dog...check the comments within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The comments seem to lean more towards attacking the officer for carrying a gun than shooting the dog. I suppose I should expect nothing less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed LEO shoots dog...check the comments

The comments seem to lean more towards attacking the officer for carrying a gun than shooting the dog. I suppose I should expect nothing less from not-so-merryland, but some of these comments are just ...out there.
    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/24513015/detail.html
    Probe Continues After Dog Fatally Shot At Park
    Federal Officer Accused Of Fatally Shooting, Killing Siberian Husky

POSTED: 2:09 pm EDT August 4, 2010
    UPDATED: 9:33 am EDT August 5, 2010
    Either way, if reported correctly it seems to me the officer should be in the clear. The jack-donkey owners of the husky need to quit crying and maybe this will be a lesson to keep their dog under control next time.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sounds like an overreaction but I wasn't there.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I was unable to read the comments, but I think there might be more than meets the eye here. If you take your dog to a dog park, then the risk of spontaneous dog fights exist. In addition, most dog parks allow the dogs to run off leash, which would result in many dogs and owners being separated by a fair distance. It sounds like to me that the officer went from 0 straight to 10 on the spectrum of possible responses to the situation. Based on the article alone, I'm left questioning whether he did the right thing and questioning his judgement in this situation. Didn't the article say he had a German Shepard? Shepard vs Husky for a few seconds while everyone gets the situation under control isn't going to leave either dog traumatized. I have to think there was a better way to handle this.

From what I read the LEO over reacted,If it would have been you or me we would be in deep doo doo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

mkh
    It does seem a little overboard to shoot the dog but "fearing for the safety of the dog, him and his wife" is a very subjective thing. It could go either way.

I'm concerned about the County Executive who has "great concern when a firearm is discharged in a public place". Doesn't he know that crime takes lace in public places and thus the need to defend yourself in public places.

It 's very difficult to judge based on news stories and even eye witnesses accounts. I wasn't there, neither were those on the board, consequently it would be meaningless to judge based on what little information we have. As usual in media reporting, it may take several days, even weeks for the complete story to emerge and get forwarded to media and usually by that time everything has been settled.
    Anything posted is basically up for grabs as far as those readers are concerned and anything said without full knowledge of the situation is just meaningless and pointless.
    We know that a person pulled a weapon and shot a dog. That's all we know at this point and until the complete story emerges, conjecture is all we have to go on. Consequently it's a waste of time and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    It 's very difficult to judge based on news stories and even eye witnesses accounts. I wasn't there, neither were those on the board, consequently it would be meaningless to judge based on what little information we have. As usual in media reporting, it may take several days, even weeks for the complete story to emerge and get forwarded to media and usually by that time everything has been settled.
    Anything posted is basically up for grabs as far as those readers are concerned and anything said without full knowledge of the situation is just meaningless and pointless.
    We know that a person pulled a weapon and shot a dog. That's all we know at this point and until the complete story emerges, conjecture is all we have to go on. Consequently it's a waste of time and energy.
    All we have is the article. If we all refrained from posting based on articles then there wound't be much of an "In the news..." forum. Conjecture is what drives most message boards, I think. And I also think that's why many of us frequent these boards. To hear and be heard - it's what makes it fun.

Anything I read in the paper is usually factless and wrong, because actual reporting has gone out the window and sensationalism is the norm. I would rather wait to see the official police report and witness statements.

VIP Member
    From the article, it does appear as this Fed LEO over reacted to the dogs aggressive behaviour.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hmmm... They were playing and then the Husky tried to bite him when he intervened.

Sounds to me like the LEO didn't want a bunch of mixed breed pups around the house!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

O.K., I'm prejudging, but from what I know about huskies and dog fights/tussles...this was an overreaction on the part of this cop.
    It just doesn't sound like a situation in which the cop and his 'crew' were in fear of their lives.
    Dog fights are just that...a part of the canine world (watch the Dog Whisperer)...quick and over...no harm done.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    O.K., I'm prejudging, but from what I know about huskies and dog fights/tussles...this was an overreaction on the part of this cop.
    It just doesn't sound like a situation in which the cop and his 'crew' were in fear of their lives.
    Dog fights are just that...a part of the canine world (watch the Dog Whisperer)...quick and over...no harm done.
    Agreed.
    As I am moving to that area, and am a devoted Husky guy, I've been following this story, including the threads on Maryland Shooters, which includes accounts by the Husky's owner.
    It appears there was no real threat, the husky was in play mode and the guy WAY over reacted. Animal control found no offensive or defensive marks on EITHER dog.

Witnesses say the guy didn't try any other intervention before shooting the dog, and did not give the husky owner, who was running over, time to get the dog.

MY opinion: The guy was a trigger happy ass, badge or no badge. Huskies are rarely dangerous (though I'll give benefiot-they can appear scary). The doogs were doing the dog/play/into/ mock fight. They were at a DOG PARK where such action is not unexpected and is an assumed risk.

The guy blew the husky away in cold blood. And the local PD attempted initially to white wash it.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

If you can take 2 steps back, aim, and then shoot.... you aren't under an attack by a dog. I think he over-reacted and if he doesn't know the difference between dogs wrestling around vs fighting, then shouldn't own a dog and shouldn't be at a dog park.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Based on what I read so far this officer shouldn't even be a security guard & should be charged with killing the pet & endangering the general public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links