Another Local Sheriff gets it

This is a discussion on Another Local Sheriff gets it within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_...ws_left_column STUART, Va. ó Desperate times often call for desperate measures, and thatís apparently the case in Ararat, where residents wanting to arm themselves against ...

Thread: Another Local Sheriff gets it

VIP Member

Thumbs up Another Local Sheriff gets it

http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_...ws_left_column

STUART, Va. ó Desperate times often call for desperate measures, and thatís apparently the case in Ararat, where residents wanting to arm themselves against burglars have the full support of their sheriff.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

GM
    We need more people like that Sheriff
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good! Teach those criminals a lesson. their job should be hazardous to their health!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

He would always have my vote!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice, but the only support I need from the Sheriff is after the shooting. On second thought, I'll trade that Sheriff for a supportive Commonwealth's Attorney.

I see this is in the Mount Airy (Mayberry) news. Obviously it's not Sheriff Taylor.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

"The sheriff responded to this concern by stating that “any citizen has the right to protect themselves by whatever means necessary if he or she has a reasonable belief that their life or personal safety is in imminent danger.”

He added, “If you are protecting yourself against an intruder, I will support you.”"

Now that's what I am talking about!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I like that sheriff, we need more like him
    NRA Member

Pretty sad that it's deemed a "desperate" measure, RKBA. It's the normal and assumed condition of the free citizens in the several free states. Too bad it has become seen as a "desperate" measure, in some quarters.

Though, it is good to see law enforcement types realizing the sanity and simple good sense of having potential victims being armed versus unarmed, as it directly relates to the survival rate of people in desperate and violent situations, to the demands placed upon law enforcement, to crime rates, etc. Kudos to the sheriff for recognizing the good in good sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Pretty sad that it's deemed a "desperate" measure, RKBA. It's the normal and assumed condition of the free citizens in the several free states. Too bad it has become seen as a "desperate" measure, in some quarters.
    i had conversation with someone who refered to it as "despirate measures". basically someone accused me of being a murderer because i choose to own/carry a gun to protect myself. so i asked, "if someone was attacking you, and you knew your life was in serious danger.. what would you do" and her answer was, "i'd fight back.. but if i'm going to die, that means god chose that time for me to die." i even explained, the fact that we have choices, options, a brain to think and make decisions for ourself, means god doesn't determine EVERY aspect of your life, to include how and when you're going to die. and i asked "you wouldn't try and give yourself the upper hand.. the best chance possible?" "no, murder is wrong, regardless. i would fend off the attacker but i wouldn't kill him." so if you knew you were going to die unless you killed the attacker, you'd let yourself die.. your family, if they were in danger, they were GOING to die, unless you killed the attacker.." "i guess, if despirate times called for despirate measures" i even explained that the law allowed it. and nothing in religious teachings that i came across said it was against any religion to defend yourself. still, she thought it was a despirate measure. she kept saying "it seems despirate to kill someone in self defense" some people are really agasinst killing, even to save their own or their family's life. it makes no sense, i know. i can sort of understand it... i guess. not really. but you can see how some people would think its despirate. i think these people really think there is good in someone whos is hell bent on killing someone and you can change their mind by being nice. ignorance? stupidity? you choose.

While there may be cases that involve ignorance or stupidity, I don't think that is always the case. Some people just do not have the mental makeup to take another human life, regardless of the cause or justification.

Looks like the residents of that County voted pretty responsibly and got a good 'un in office.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    i had conversation with someone who refered to it as "despirate measures". basically someone accused me of being a murderer because i choose to own/carry a gun to protect myself. so i asked, "if someone was attacking you, and you knew your life was in serious danger.. what would you do" and her answer was, "i'd fight back.. but if i'm going to die, that means god chose that time for me to die." i even explained, the fact that we have choices, options, a brain to think and make decisions for ourself, means god doesn't determine EVERY aspect of your life, to include how and when you're going to die. and i asked "you wouldn't try and give yourself the upper hand.. the best chance possible?" "no, murder is wrong, regardless. i would fend off the attacker but i wouldn't kill him." so if you knew you were going to die unless you killed the attacker, you'd let yourself die.. your family, if they were in danger, they were GOING to die, unless you killed the attacker.." "i guess, if despirate times called for despirate measures" i even explained that the law allowed it. and nothing in religious teachings that i came across said it was against any religion to defend yourself. still, she thought it was a despirate measure. she kept saying "it seems despirate to kill someone in self defense" some people are really agasinst killing, even to save their own or their family's life. it makes no sense, i know. i can sort of understand it... i guess. not really. but you can see how some people would think its despirate. i think these people really think there is good in someone whos is hell bent on killing someone and you can change their mind by being nice. ignorance? stupidity? you choose.
    If this subject should ever come up again with that person, I think I'd mention David and Goliath to her since she places a high value on other's lives due to her religion. That slingshot of that time would make a very nice comparision to a modern day firearm today I would think.

But personally, I think she's mentally deficient and her mindset should be wiped from the gene pool. Even the lowliest form of single cell life places a high importance on self preservation.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Links