Why THIS Nana carrys concealed.

This is a discussion on Why THIS Nana carrys concealed. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is about the saddest thing I have read all day, but at least she saved the child. R.I.P. You did your job, Sharrel. Oklahoma ...

Thread: Why THIS Nana carrys concealed.

Why THIS Nana carrys concealed.

This is about the saddest thing I have read all day, but at least she saved the child. R.I.P. You did your job, Sharrel.

Oklahoma grandmother dies saving girl from kidnapper

A 63-year-old woman, Sharrel Blankenbaker, died saving her granddaughter from a kidnapper, who tried to grab the girl outside a gas station in Amarillo, Texas, on Tuesday. Blankenbaker stepped in front of her grandchildren and struggled with the man, who fatally shot her. From the Daily Oklahoman:

Angel Quezada, who witnessed the shooting and the struggle that led up to it, held Blankenbaker's hand and prayed for her as she lost consciousness. He said the woman's last words were about her grandchildren and protecting them from harm.

The gunman fled and, shortly after that, kidnapped an 11-year-old girl. Luckily, a deputy spotted the vehicle, and the girl jumped from the moving truck and into a ditch. Gary Don Carner, 58, fired at the deputy, who returned fire and killed him.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Sad. I feel for this womans family. But she did what she felt she had to do, and I hope the man who held her hand told her that her grandchild was safe. I'll not go into details, but my wife and I
    have a 7-year old daughter, and believe me if our daughter was threatened, my wife could become one serious Mama Bear. I've seen it- it's not pretty! And she's a school teacher.

I'll just add that the deputy took care of it.

Very sad :(. But at least she saved a life, and possibly more!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Good on the Deputy! Excellent shooting! You did the taxpayers of Oklahoma a great service!

Sadly, a phyrric victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Sadly, a phyrric victory.
    Not at all. I would prefer to go out surrounded by my family, but dying at the age of 63 having just successfully protected my granddaughter from a predator would still be a win in my book.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Very sad ending, but the grandchildren were made safe. Any of us would do the same thing, but if armed, perhaps only the dirtbag would be a "dead offender".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Heroic. Very sad she died, but good job, Grandma! Just infuriating when I think about child molesters, rapists, kidnappers. "Good shooting, Officer, sleep well."

Wow. That grandmother is a hero if you ask me. Good shooting by the deputy. And may the grandmother rest in peace knowing she died defending her family.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Not a Pyrrhic victory in any sense of the term. This was a victory, clean and straightforward. The Guardian laid down her life to defend the child. Had she failed, the child would have died far more slowly and in much more torment and agony. The Guardian would then suffer the guilt and anguish of having failed to protect for the rest of her life. So I score this as a win.

A double-win, once the deputy put the scum out of commission.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

A worthy way to die, trying to save a life. My condolences to the family. A used J-Frame can be the cheapest life insurance on the planet.

Links