Close One for a Couple of Kids

This is a discussion on Close One for a Couple of Kids within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I helped my son move this weekend and was driving his black pickup with a load. It had turned dark a few minutes earlier and ...

Thread: Close One for a Couple of Kids

Close One for a Couple of Kids

I helped my son move this weekend and was driving his black pickup with a load. It had turned dark a few minutes earlier and only the last gasp of light backlit the road. I came around a little curve in the road when all of a sudden I saw two black silhouettes about 3' tall that contrasted and put on the binders.

My lights were still to the left coming around the curve when I saw them run onto the road. Another 5 minutes and I would not have been able to see them until my headlights covered them and been too late. As soon as they saw my headlights they turned around and ran back as I was about stopped.

They were neighborhood kids that ran after a ball. My lights covered the area and I just sat there blocking traffic until the dad ran out and got the ball and waved a thanks. I'm glad I was taking it easy and the kids turned around when they saw my headlights. I'll also venture they got a talkin to by dad.

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad you were driving at an appropriate speed! So many people fly through neighborhoods, oblivious to the danger they are putting other people in. I'm glad you were thinking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I came around a little curve in the road when all of a sudden I saw two black silhouettes about 3' tall that contrasted and put on the binders.
    That's about the worst age. At "3 ft tall," they simply don't have the capacity to judge just how quickly a car can run them down. Good on ya, for seeing them. In the failing light, it can be a tough thing to do. You could just as easily have failed to distinguish them in the backlight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That woulda been really bad,anytime I'm driving down a residential street with parked cars that make it hard to see,I'm scanning for shoes or feet legs shadows anything that could spell kid that might walk out without looking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That's always one of my worst fears. I have a tendency to be a lead-footed banshee out on the highway, but I take my good old time cruising through neighborhoods, many times well below the posted limit. I'd hate to plow over a munchkin that wasn't paying attention and chased after a ball into the street.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Must be the season. Two days ago I’m about to back out from a grocery store parking slot. I hesitate as a man in a truck pulls along side. He exits with his three-footer’. The father walks ahead leaving his son to suddenly change direction and begins to walk towards the right rear of my vehicle as I was just starting to slowly ease out. I stopped immediately as the dad motions to me like’ Oops! Had the mother been in tow, I’m sure she would have coldcocked her husband right then and there. I have to say it left me with some pretty clear nasal passages.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links