Right under our noses!!!

This is a discussion on Right under our noses!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight my wife, one of our adult daughters and I were eating dinner at our local favorite Chinese restaurant. It's a small location with 5 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right under our noses!!!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Right under our noses!!!

Tonight my wife, one of our adult daughters and I were eating dinner at our local favorite Chinese restaurant. It's a small location with 5 booths and 2 tables. They do a lot of carry-out and tonight we were the only ones dining-in. While we were there a number of folks came in and picked up carry-out orders, but because where we were sitting we could not see everyone that came in unless they stepped back from the counter or sat down at one of the booths while waiting. Everyone that I saw appeared to be just local folks like us here in our community of 45,000.

As we were leaving my daughter wanted a gumball and asked the owner for a solid quarter for her 2 dimes and nickle. The owner reached for her tip jar to get a quarter and hesitated...the tip jar was gone! At this point I was standing in front of the counter and confirmed seeing it there when I paid for our our meal some 45 minutes earlier. She asked the 2 employees if they moved it and they replied, no. She said that jar has sat on the counter for 5 years with no incident and that it probably had $30-40 in loose change.

I was shocked that someone had casually walked in picked up a plastic jar full of change and carried it off while we were sitting in there.

I'm just glad that's all it was and not a hold-up job.
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Times are getting tough all over.

Thank goodness no one was hurt and no violence was done.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Nothing amazes me anymore,crooks will try to steal stuff that's bolted down anymore
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thats messed up! It goes to show you it can happen anywhere and anytime. Times are hard so keep your eyes peeled.

Man, that is just messed up and wrong. What thieves won't do these days.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I was at a local, small pizza shop recently and the owner said that he's had the tip jar stolen a couple of times and he's considering ways to bolt it down. The last time he saw (but could not catch) the thief, who was a kid.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Somewhere a year or two ago, maybe at a Starbucks, some younger guy came in and stole the tip jar. An older gentleman saw him steal it, followed him outside and tried to stop the young man's car. Young man ran over the older gentleman, killing him.

All over a tip jar.

Over the years, I have known a few restaurant owners who made sure to keep the "tip" jar relatively low on cash, so that they'd be less likely to tempt a criminal. But, you never know.

With the increased anonymity, rough economic times and general lack of moral training with people in our culture, I imagine that there are a lot of people around who would steal a jar of ~$40 that was "just sitting there," or take the five $20 bills sitting on the ATM machine because the prior customer forgot to take the cash, or even reach over the counter into the till. Little surprises me, anymore.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nothing in our society surprises me anymore.
    If it's within reach, someone will take it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Fiancee's family's restaurant has had their tip jar snatched a couple times as well
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Same thing happened in Albuquerque, NM, except the clerk put up a fight and was killed for her tip jar.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

How about a slot in the counter top going into a container secured under the counter?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    How about a slot in the counter top going into a container secured under the counter?
    That's what one restaurant I go to does, and what I suggested to the pizza shop I mentioned above. I think it's a great idea.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    The site of the tip jag is what gets people to tip. I would have a screw thru the jar into the counter.

Yeah people don't remember to tip unless they see the jar with some dollars in it. They could have the jar bolted down and cut it so the back end opens, just secure a simple latch on the top towards the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links