Camden County Student Faces Two Felony Charges Following Gun Arrest at School

Camden County Student Faces Two Felony Charges Following Gun Arrest at School

This is a discussion on Camden County Student Faces Two Felony Charges Following Gun Arrest at School within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, our school year is starting off intrestingly enough........... My two daughters are students there. My temper is boiling over what 'could've been'. Friends of ...

Thread: Camden County Student Faces Two Felony Charges Following Gun Arrest at School

Angry Camden County Student Faces Two Felony Charges Following Gun Arrest at School

Well, our school year is starting off intrestingly enough...........
    My two daughters are students there. My temper is boiling over what 'could've been'. Friends of my girls who know this individual stated that he lied about staying over at a relitives house. Can't wait to here the Paul Harvey version of this.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/money/...163264&catid=3

CAMDEN COUNTY, Ga. -- On the third day of school, a student has been arrested for having a gun with him.

A teacher saw 17-year-old Marcavious Williams this morning carrying something that looked suspicious under his shirt, according to Arthur VanBlarcum, director of student services.

The student was detained and it turns out he was carrying a loaded 9 mm handgun, which was confiscated.

"Bad decisions can have tragic results and although no physical injury resulted from this decision, a tragedy still exists," added Camden County Schools Superintendent Will Hardin. "This student's life will forever be impacted by an incident that could have easily been avoided."

The student said he didn't plan to use the gun and had no violent objective, but was carrying it because he was with a relative over the weekend and couldn't leave the gun there, and he rode the bus to school.

He was arrested, faces two felony charges, weapon on school grounds and terroristic threats, and a misdemeanor charge of possession of pistol by person under 18.

"Past history reveals that Camden County High School is a safe place for both students and staff," said Camden County High School Principal John Tucker. "School entrances and exits are monitored routinely for suspicious activity and behavior. Our staff takes the safety of our school campuses very seriously and this morning's seizure of a weapon is a testament to that fact. While the decision this student made is unfortunate and had the potential for tragic results, the attentiveness of the faculty member in not only noticing something suspicious but in taking action provides some degree of relief from the disappointment with this student's actions."

©2010 First Coast News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    I wonder why he brought it to school if he didn't have a viloent intent? Was he just trying to look like a bad ass trying to get a tough rep?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I wonder why he brought it to school if he didn't have a viloent intent? Was he just trying to look like a bad ass trying to get a tough rep?
    Same reason you do? To stay alive perhaps? I've seen plenty growing up in school with the same intent. They carried whatever they could get their hands on just to make sure they made it home from school in one piece. It wasn't violent intent, but rather survival instinct(ie rattlesnake concept). He's got fangs, and he'll rattle away to warn everyone to stay away and not bother him. Granted, these days you just never know, but the possibility exists. Hey...I'm just looking for a non-negative side here
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    I agree he could be afraid, but I think he would have said so when asked why he had it instead of the story he did tell.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Because he was more afraid of getting in trouble
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

GM
    Sure it is possible that he carried a gun because he was afraid, but IMO he most probably did it if not to hurt someone to try to look like a tough guy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Scared or not, If I can't carry even with my permit, he definitely isn't above the law as far as carrying. Its a sad state when on day 3 of the school year you are already kicked out and now have a felony record. I have a nephew who did the same stupid thing. He was much younger, but now that dumb mistake will follow him the rest of his life.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Probably some idiot kid who wanted to be a bad***, but there isn't enough information to say anything definitive since we don't know how long he had been on campus before he was discovered - I have yet to hear about a mass shooting at a school where the perpetrator attended classes before going on his rampage.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Links