For everyone who thinks small towns are safe

This is a discussion on For everyone who thinks small towns are safe within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened in the town that I work in over the weekend. It is a real small town with a population of about 2,500. http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...oswell-slaying ...

Thread: For everyone who thinks small towns are safe

This happened in the town that I work in over the weekend. It is a real small town with a population of about 2,500.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...oswell-slaying

The rest of the story that I've heard from "unofficial" sources is the 15 year gets fake ID, meets girl at bar and goes back to her house. 15 year old wants more than a kiss goodnight, she kicks him out, he comes back, forces entry and kills her. He calls his mom for a ride says he was in a fight, mom gets suspicious of all the blood and call cops. Not sure of the extent of the injuries but it was an obvious fatality since EMS was never dispatched to the location.

It's just a screwed up story all the way around
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

2. Remove Ads

Safety is a relative thing. While nowhere is absolutely safe, some places are safer than others. The last murder in the town was fifteen years prior. I would say that it makes the town considerably safer than some other places.

I always hate to hear of things like this.

So how many you figure really think that at this day in age? Small towns are a magnet for problems just like a lone house on the highway in the middle of the night. Where there used to be peace and solace, now peace cannot be found. No place on this earth is hidden from evil and the intent. You simply can't get far enough away. There is nothing safe. Those whom think they are safe are way behind the times. Hopefully some will wake up before they are behind more than just the times. No matter where you live, don't come out on the short end of the stick. You can't rely on statistics.....especially since they were generated in the past. You can't rely on your 'town', it's history, nor it's image to save you from harm. You depend on yourself these days....otherwise, you're like prey walking through the desert in tiger territory.
    I pray to God that everyone will know this before it's too late.

3D
    Another really tragic loss . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Safety is a relative thing. While nowhere is absolutely safe, some places are safer than others. . . . . .
    +1 Agree . . further, it is not only a relative thing but also a transient thing. Because the waters are still does not mean there are no crocodiles!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Because the waters are still does not mean there are no crocodiles!
    Funny you should mention that. This is stuck over my reloading bench.
    Attached Images

3D
    Appreciate the pic. 'proverb' reminds me to stay aware__things are seldom what they seem to be___ and predators and 'dings' are everywhere.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Because the waters are still does not mean there are no crocodiles!
    Very good analogy.

I will memorize this for future use.

Thanks!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

GM
    I used to live in a small town, about 5000 people, and let me say that going out nighttime was very dangerous.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I work EMS in this town and the surrounding area and it's not a safe as most people think. Fortunately, I guess, most of the violence is family members/acquaintances going at it or criminal on criminal, very little "random" violence where people don't know their attacker or didn't have it coming.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    I work EMS in this town and the surrounding area and it's not a safe as most people think. Fortunately, I guess, most of the violence is family members/acquaintances going at it or criminal on criminal, very little "random" violence where people don't know their attacker or didn't have it coming.
    Whe have some of that, but I think it is less dangerous to the public than random crime/violence. For one thing, most of it either happens in puke joints or private residences. Given a choice between the two, I'll take the former.

Such a sad state of affairs. No matter how serene or seemingly safe you are, there is danger around every corner. be safe out there.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Links