Phony search warrant used in home invasion

This is a discussion on Phony search warrant used in home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not US, but this is taking impersonating an LEO to a new level. The suspects demanded to search a home on Coral Shores Landing N.E. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phony search warrant used in home invasion

VIP Member

Not US, but this is taking impersonating an LEO to a new level.

The suspects demanded to search a home on Coral Shores Landing N.E. for hidden money, showing the occupants some government ID as well as a badge resembling one carried by law enforcement.
    Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...#ixzz0x9hZYg1H
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

3D
    I don't open the door.

quote from article:
    "The public should carefully check the ID of someone claiming to be a law enforcement officer or call 911 to have it confirmed, advised police."
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not US, but this is taking impersonating an LEO to a new level.

I agree with you. Hopefully they will find them very soon, because I believe that if those guys were able do something like that they are able to do whatever.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If the police show up at my door I meet them on the porch W/ the door closed behind me. If they are not uniformed I request a uniformed officer in a marked car. And I decline all requests to search. IOW this wouldn't have happened at my house.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    I don't open the door.

quote from article:
    "The public should carefully check the ID of someone claiming to be a law enforcement officer or call 911 to have it confirmed, advised police."
    Having been arrested before, I can tell you that cops will make you put the phone down. They don't want you talking on the phone, even if you're calling 911 to validate their ids.

This does not work in the real world.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Having been arrested before, I can tell you that cops will make you put the phone down. They don't want you talking on the phone, even if you're calling 911 to validate their ids.

This does not work in the real world.
    Yes it does, at least in Co Springs it is official policy. If you have any doubt they want you to call in and have said so publically several times

Down here a lot of home invasions are usually stash houses for drugs,so when you got a buncha guys in fake uniforms coming thru the door like a swat team,you either give up or shoot it out,if you guess right and they are thugs you still have to deal with the drug charges etc.,guess wrong and kill a cop and your getting the death penalty,I don't have any reason why my house would be targeted for a search warrant,therefore I will open fire on anybody entering my home uninvited.
    PS my doors are always locked so nobody is just gonna accidently walk in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    These are tough scenarios because the victim has no clear way to know what the h is going on.

I once had a guy at my door claiming to be a Federal Agent and flashing fancy ID. I thought he was bogus and ran him off. Found out later he was the real deal. Happily no harm done though we almost had it out at the door.

How many people have the chance to "call it in and verify" when a SWAT team is serving a warrant? The courts have given the police as little as 20 seconds to wait prior to "dynamic entry." Anyone who shoots at a SWAT team (or any other LEO serving a warrant) is going to 1) Get killed very quickly 2) Go to jail for a very long time if #1 doesn't happen. If there were no such things as dynamic entry raids, then of course, you would have to time to call it in and you would also know that anyone kicking in your door is most definitely not LE. But, since they do exist, and they don't seem to be going away anytime soon, then all I can say is good luck if something like this ever happens to you.

I don't open the door to people I don't know. If somebody wants to legally search my house they are welcome to it. But if somebody wants to storm my house without notifying me first, they'll be met with a shotgun. If they're stupid cops who got the wrong address, then we'll both be dead.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Yes it does, at least in Co Springs it is official policy. If you have any doubt they want you to call in and have said so publically several times
    Try it. They will make you put the phone down. Guaranteed.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I think if you let the LEO know that you are on the phone with 911 to verify them, they will believe you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Depending on area, I wouldn't bet on it, or that they care.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Try it. They will make you put the phone down. Guaranteed.
    Is this based on experience? according to the OP we're not talking about a No Knock Warrant we're talking about a plain clothes cop that knocks on your door and asks to execute a search warrant

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Is this based on experience? according to the OP we're not talking about a No Knock Warrant we're talking about a plain clothes cop that knocks on your door and asks to execute a search warrant
    Not trying to be a smart aleck, but does that happen? I truly don't know. Do individual plain clothes cops knock on doors to execute a search warrant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links