Mexican Drug gang bullet strikes Texas University

This is a discussion on Mexican Drug gang bullet strikes Texas University within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Eyeing Mexican Drug Violence After Stray Bullet Hits University of Texas Building Published August 23, 2010 Authorities in Texas are investigating what they believe ...

Thread: Mexican Drug gang bullet strikes Texas University

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Mexican Drug gang bullet strikes Texas University

Police Eyeing Mexican Drug Violence After Stray Bullet Hits University of Texas Building

Published August 23, 2010

Authorities in Texas are investigating what they believe may be a case of Mexican drug violence spilling over the border after a stray bullet hit a University of Texas-El Paso campus building.
    Officials said they believe the bullet flew across the border during a gun battle in Juarez Saturday evening.

"On Saturday, about 5 o'clock p.m., our agents heard what appeared to be gunfire. Seconds later we did confirm that there was a gunfight that had just ensued on the south side between Mexican authorities and unknown subjects," Ramiro Cordero, spokesperson for U.S. Border Patrol in El Paso told Fox News.

University officials said the bullet made its way through a window and was found lodged in a door frame in Bell Hall.

Cordero said realistically there's nothing the border patrol or police can do about "a round making it north."

"There's no way to stop it, of course; bullets don't know borders, but we were able to prevent anyone from coming into the United States and causing anybody harm," he told Fox News.

The school's president, Dr. Diana Natalicio, said campus police are working with other enforcement officials and will take any needed security measures, KFoxTV.com reported.

Cordero said they're all doing a great job.

You're looking at the most ruthless city in the world just across the river from the second safest city in the nation," he said. "Call it an irony, call it whatever you need to call it. It's the job of all these agencies working together that have been able to get this prestige to the city."

Continued here . . . .
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Nope, no problem here.

VIP Member
    Indeed, they said it right. We are looking at an awful ruthless city right next to one of the nicest and safest.

The situation with stray bullets stinks, but thankfully so far no one has been harmed on our side, and there simply aren't good options for us. "Invade," "indiscriminate" return of fire, are not viable options. They are not. They sound good but someone better do the calculus for what it would cost to avenge one injury or one life lost on our side. How much in our soldier's live? How much in our now non-existent money? How much in innocent Mexican lives on the other side as well. That is part of the cost.

I suppose things could come to a point where bulldozers and army engineers could clear a "demilitarized zone," perhaps even with cooperation and approval from the government on the other side, but we aren't there yet.

And please, this is really a different issue from illegal migration. What would you expect Canada to do if fire from the bad areas of Detroit sometimes hit Windsor? (Get your maps out if you don't know what I'm talking of.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Indeed, they said it right. We are looking at an awful ruthless city right next to one of the nicest and safest.

The situation with stray bullets stinks, but thankfully so far no one has been harmed on our side, and there simply aren't good options for us. "Invade," "indiscriminate" return of fire, are not viable options. They are not. They sound good but someone better do the calculus for what it would cost to avenge one injury or one life lost on our side. How much in our soldier's live? How much in our now non-existent money? How much in innocent Mexican lives on the other side as well. That is part of the cost.

I suppose things could come to a point where bulldozers and army engineers could clear a "demilitarized zone," perhaps even with cooperation and approval from the government on the other side, but we aren't there yet.

And please, this is really a different issue from illegal migration. What would you expect Canada to do if fire from the bad areas of Detroit sometimes hit Windsor? (Get your maps out if you don't know what I'm talking of.)
    Did anybody say anything about illegals?

Sounds like you're starting to "whistle in the dark"

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    [B]
    The school's president, Dr. Diana Natalicio, said campus police are working with other enforcement officials and will take any needed security measures, KFoxTV.com reported.

Continued here . . . .
    Excuse me, Dr. Natalicio, but can you describe these "needed security measures" that you are taking that will prevent a bullet from striking your campus again?

VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Did anybody say anything about illegals?

Sounds like you're starting to "whistle in the dark"
    No, just trying to make sure folks respond to the "what are we going to do about stray bullets" without going off on the other subject. They really are different problems.

My main concern here is that inevitably folks think some sort of military solution is possible. As you and I have already discussed, 21,000 people peacefully go back and forth daily. So even though Juarez gets a really bad and well deserved wrap for the daily gun battles, apparently plenty of folks are just going about their normal everyday stuff.

There are bad areas in every big city. Remember the movie Ft Apache, The Bronx? Maybe you are well too young that came out a long time ago. The point being though that as rampant as the violence is in Juarez, plenty of normal activity goes on too. This fact makes a "violent" solution to an occasional stray bullet unworkable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Excuse me, Dr. Natalicio, but can you describe these "needed security measures" that you are taking that will prevent a bullet from striking your campus again?

He didn't say because there is nothing that can be done. For now, it is an intractable problem without a solution.

Not every problem in this world has either a solution or a simple solution.

No, just trying to make sure folks respond to the "what are we going to do about stray bullets" without going off on the other subject. They really are different problems.

My main concern here is that inevitably folks think some sort of military solution is possible. As you and I have already discussed, 21,000 people peacefully go back and forth daily. So even though Juarez gets a really bad and well deserved wrap for the daily gun battles, apparently plenty of folks are just going about their normal everyday stuff.

There are bad areas in every big city. Remember the movie Ft Apache, The Bronx? Maybe you are well too young that came out a long time ago. The point being though that as rampant as the violence is in Juarez, plenty of normal activity goes on too. This fact makes a "violent" solution to an occasional stray bullet unworkable.
    According to some of my relations on the "westside" of El Paso this happens a little more frequently than has been reported.

And thank you for the "too young". I saw that movie in the theater when it came out in about what 1981?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    According to some of my relations on the "westside" of El Paso this happens a little more frequently than has been reported.

And thank you for the "too young". I saw that movie in the theater when it came out in about what 1981?
    Sure you weren't wearing diapers? :)))

Sure you weren't wearing diapers? :)))
    I'm closer to wearing adult diapers then I care to think.

Links