TN pastor busted in DC with 2 guns, gets Congressional intervention

This is a discussion on TN pastor busted in DC with 2 guns, gets Congressional intervention within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News...e.php?ID=80252 Unaware that his Tennessee handgun carry permit was not valid in the District of Columbia, Duncan was surprised when police were called. He was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TN pastor busted in DC with 2 guns, gets Congressional intervention

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News...e.php?ID=80252

Unaware that his Tennessee handgun carry permit was not valid in the District of Columbia, Duncan was surprised when police were called. He was even more surprised by the belligerent attitude of the officer in charge. Surprise became shock when federal agents and a Special Weapons and Tactics team arrived. The street in front of the hotel was blocked off.
    I encourage you all to read the whole article.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Where has the common sense gone to in this Country? A Police Officer does have a little "wiggle room" in the decisions he makes. This supervisor apparently does not have the mental ability to make a good decision.

I'm glad I was an LEO a long time ago, before they took your ability to think away from you.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Common sense dictates for a person to not assume that their out of state gun carry permit would be valid in an area that is infamous and internationally known to be not only VERY gun unfriendly but also to not reciprocate with anyones carry permit/license.

This dude has the responsibility to learn the facts rather than assume that the rest of the US would be like and endorse how things might go in Tennessee (!).

Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity
    http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm
    [Note: It took me approx.: :05s to locate this information, which never in life have I looked up prior.]

Same works in reverse for those coming into TN as from other states, that actually do issue a carry permit.
    This guy has no grounds for complaint what so ever. He made a major error and caused his own problems. Worst his own daughter (LEO) AND his son in law (FLEO!) both of whom should know better did not think to consult with and advise him as prior to making the trip.
    Further in order to enter DC from any of the major highways there are HUGE signs saying that guns & ammo are not allowed in DC and that possession is a serious criminal offense punishable by a large fine and jail time. The signs are white with large bold lettering. They have been there for decades.

The rest is just a case of crime and punishment.
    Honestly, I agree with the officer in charge.

Had this dude been anyone else who was not a preacher, veteran and not had a FLEO son in law on site to smooth things over guess where they, me, you or anybody else would be...In jail, with a fine and no woe is me news story feature.
    Why should this man be treated any differently or special?

And yes, the DC Jail is _INFAMOUS_ for how bad and outright dangerous for inmates it's conditions are.
    Just ask any DC native, DC cop or a 'visitor' who has spent even just 12 hrs. in lockup. It's down right third world.

- Janq is a DC native born & raised who is not a preacher, veteran nor have a FLEO relative get out of trouble card...Nor do I have cop friends who are connected to DC congressmen that can with a few phone calls secure pro bono private top grade attorneys to come save me from consequences as related to the errors of my own illegal and unwise choices
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Pretty dumb - no, extremely dumb - to take the guns into DC. He's lucky he didn't go to jail for quite while.

I think DC's laws are redicilous, but that's no excuse for violating them.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Dumb, yes. The laws are what they are. And it's not exactly like it's a surprise that DC has no humor when it comes to firearms in the hands of anyone but LE.

But it does highlight the utter stupidity of clamping down on upstanding citizens ... how utterly pointless it all is. He's no threat, and yet the way the statutes are written, someone who simply has the goal of keeping his/her own family safe is treated like any real criminal who has actually harmed someone. It'll be interesting to see if he ends up with a clean record, or with a stuffed record that precludes his ever having a firearm again. Can't imagine that carrying a concealed pistol in DC is treated as anything less than a felony (though I might be incorrect).

Unless we get to the point where carrying firearms is no different than driving a car, folks who cross state lines will continue to be treated in this sort of manner, in spite of not being a threat to anyone.

NOTE: None of the above should be taken as suggestion that willful ignorance of the law has any excuse. Don't go there, as there's no "there" there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I agree with Matt. In reading the whole article, it says that the federal agents quickly determined that no threat existed and no federal laws were broken, so they left the scene. It was MPDC that arrested him for violating their gun laws.

I think everyone agrees that the gun laws in DC are beyond ridiculous. They are draconian. However, as a gun owner/carrier, you are responsible for knowing where you can and cannot legally carry your firearm. And we are not talking about an obscure law...somebody who did not know they could not carry at a place that seated more than "x" number of people or a place that sold more than "x" % of alcohol. We are talking about someone who carried in Washington, D.C. Saying you don't know your permit is not valid in D.C. is akin to saying you don't know that you can't carry aboard a commercial aircraft or in New York City.

If you are going to carry a firearm, you are responsible for being responsible. When you do something ignorant, you had better be willing to pay the penalty. Could the MPDC Officer let him go with a warning? Sure he could have. Would I have let him go with a warning? Yep, probably so. But the fact is, the man carried a firearm into a place where they are very well known to be prohibited, then he got caught. That is nobody's fault but his own. It is ridiculous that he was not released on his own recognizance immediately after being booked. When I was in D.C. I saw guys ROR'd after being arrested for violent crimes. It is not like they had to worry about this old guy fleeing the country to avoid prosecution.

Of course the best way to avoid any problems is to get rid of the ridiculous gun laws in places like Washington, D.C.; New York City; and Chicago. But, until that happens...know the law. And, if you choose to ignore it, be prepared to pay the price.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

His Son is a FLEO his daughter is a LEO and neither one of them felt the need to have him make sure his permit was valid,Regardless of how victimised he feels,Ignorance of the law is no excuse,CHL holders are supposed to do due diligence not only on what states accept your license,but what restrictions that state has
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    DC=District of Communism.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    District of Criminals....
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    And we have the power to change that.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    I agree with Jang.

I have no sympathy for a person who should know right from wrong but who feels he is special and above the law.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Common sense dictates for a person to not assume that their out of state gun carry permit would be valid in an area that is infamous and internationally known to be not only VERY gun unfriendly but also to not reciprocate with anyones carry permit/license.

This dude has the responsibility to learn the facts rather than assume that the rest of the US would be like and endorse how things might go in Tennessee (!).

Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity
    http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm
    [Note: It took me approx.: :05s to locate this information, which never in life have I looked up prior.]

Same works in reverse for those coming into TN as from other states, that actually do issue a carry permit.
    This guy has no grounds for complaint what so ever. He made a major error and caused his own problems. Worst his own daughter (LEO) AND his son in law (FLEO!) both of whom should know better did not think to consult with and advise him as prior to making the trip.
    Further in order to enter DC from any of the major highways there are HUGE signs saying that guns & ammo are not allowed in DC and that possession is a serious criminal offense punishable by a large fine and jail time. The signs are white with large bold lettering. They have been there for decades.

The rest is just a case of crime and punishment.
    Honestly, I agree with the officer in charge.

Had this dude been anyone else who was not a preacher, veteran and not had a FLEO son in law on site to smooth things over guess where they, me, you or anybody else would be...In jail, with a fine and no woe is me news story feature.
    Why should this man be treated any differently or special?

- Janq is a DC native born & raised who is not a preacher, veteran nor have a FLEO relative get out of trouble card...Nor do I have cop friends who are connected to DC congressmen that can with a few phone calls secure pro bono private top grade attorneys to come save me from consequences as related to the errors of my own illegal and unwise choices
    I'm also a DC native. Born in DC and raised in PG County and if this had been me I would still be in jail. As I read the article I became angered because this man was given special treatment.

Why he thinks he deserves special treatment is beyond me. I could care less that he is a preacher or not a threat. He broke a law that would send 99% of us to jail without a second thought but yet he walks free and he has the nerve to ask for his record to be expunged.

This man disgusts me and it has nothing to do with him being a preacher and me being an atheist. It has to do with him breaking the law and asking for special treatment. That is what disgusts me.

Agreed WWBP1. One thousand percent.

I too would still be in jail AND the feds would have stepped on me as well rather than wave me off as ehh 'not a terrorist'.

I have one relative and several friends who all have gun charges stemming out of DC that are and have been on their records for life.
    They carried 'weapons' on their person and/or in their vehicle for the exact same reason as this dude had stated. For personal protection,having not committed any violent crime nor intended to do so upon being caught (i.e. not caught out doing drive-bys, mugging people or robbing liquor stores).

Results for them though? Wholly different, and they didn't get a home town feature news article either.

Seriously this is ridiculous.
    The guy broke a major law, in a major way (!). Not one but two guns. Guns not properly secured but rather stowed under car seats (Not even the NRA supports that manner of storage nor pseudo 'carry'!). He does all this while blatantly breaking not only DC law but who knows how many state laws as along his drive from TN up to DC (!).
    Oh, and of all things he parks his car in a federal parking structure where again there are always _signs_ that state as much followed by additional signs stating no firearms are allowed...And yet he (and his should well know better family of LEOs too!) has a beef with how other people responded to and treated him...As being a multiple degree law breaker?!

This dude should thank his lucky stars he's gotten off as light as he did.
    Talk about attitude and taking responsibility for ones actions.

I bet if I were to drive to TN on my MA permit and keep guns in my vehicle and/or on my person and show up at his church to be caught red handed as armed, he'd be preaching to a whole different choir.

Again the officer in this case was right AND he did the right thing.
    I bet he was thinking same as us too. Who does this fool think he is and foolin'?

Very many other DC resident (!) citizens who also are not 'terrorists' have been caught up for same.
    This dude is just a visitor. Since when does being a visitor entitle one to break laws and be obliged get out of jail free cards.

Overview of firearm and weapon offenses in Washington, D.C.
    [Which is not TN and does not nor ever has reciprocated with DC]
    http://koehlerlaw.net/drug-offense/weapons/

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's a shame that the charges are being dropped. Had that been me, I'd still be under the jail.

So, if I'm a preacher with connections I can get the charges dismissed and have top lawyers representing me.

And if not, we're just "had".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links