Welcome to Charleston: Two teens charged with murder

This is a discussion on Welcome to Charleston: Two teens charged with murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two teenagers were charged with murder Wednesday in Saturday's fatal shooting at the Bridgeview Village apartments, Charleston police said. The alleged shooter is a 17-year-old ...

Thread: Welcome to Charleston: Two teens charged with murder

Welcome to Charleston: Two teens charged with murder

Two teenagers were charged with murder Wednesday in Saturday's fatal shooting at the Bridgeview Village apartments, Charleston police said.

The alleged shooter is a 17-year-old Ladson woman, police said. Her co-defendant is an 18-year-old West Ashley man, who is on probation after having been convicted in April of robbing three people at the same apartment complex in June of 2009.

Cephus Mitchell

Vashty West

Vashty West, 17, of Columbia Drive, Ladson, and Cephus Dezmone Mitchell, 18, of Main Street, Charleston, each are charged with murder in the slaying of 28-year-old Jamar Gathers of North Charleston, said Charles Francis, public information officer for Charleston police.

Vashty also is charged with possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime. Investigators think she was the shooter, Francis said.

The two were being held in the Charleston County Detention Center awaiting a bond hearing scheduled for today.

Gathers was shot and killed about 4 p.m. in a breezeway at the housing project, which is on North Romney Street.

Francis said police are grateful to the residents who came forward with information about the case.

According to a records check with the State Law Enforcement Division, Mitchell, whose first name also is listed in some records as "Cephas," was arrested by Charleston police in June 2009 and charged with first- degree criminal sexual conduct, two counts of kidnapping, three counts of armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

Two women and a man were robbed by an armed man at the Bridgeview Village apartments about 3 a.m. on June 16, 2009. The women also were raped, according to police reports.

When Mitchell went to court in April, the charge had been reduced to one count of strong-arm robbery. He was convicted and given a suspended sentence and two years of probation. According to the state Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services, Mitchell is under active supervision.

Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said Mitchell's charges were reduced because the victims would not cooperate with the prosecution. The strong-arm robbery charge was negotiated as part of a plea bargain, she said.

"It is unfortunate, but you would not believe how many times we see that," Wilson said. "We're busting our cans to try to help these people and they don't want to help us."

Meanwhile, Bridgeview residents are upset about the violence erupting around them, said Fouche Sheppard, who has lived at the complex since 1974.

"I am so afraid for the children," Sheppard said. "I get goose bumps when I think of it, the time of day it happened."

She was referring to Saturday's fatal shooting, but it was not the first time this month that gunshots were fired in broad daylight at the complex.

At about 6:20 p.m. on Aug. 14, a resident of the complex reported hearing four shots fired at her apartment. Officers found two bullet holes in her bedroom wall and two in the ceiling above her bed. No one was injured and no suspects were found.
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...tment-killing/

2. Remove Ads

A 14-year-old boy told North Charleston police he gunned down a schoolmate in February because he was beaten up and robbed of a gold necklace with a Jesus pendant, according to court testimony Wednesday.

Investigators haven't verified that motive, but they have witnesses and other evidence tying young Derrell Green to the execution-style killing of 17-year-old Larry Maybank on Bonds Avenue, Detective Alan Kramitz testified.

His testimony came during a Family Court hearing to determine whether Green will be tried as an adult in Maybank's Feb. 5 slaying, as prosecutors are seeking. Green's lawyers want him tried as a juvenile in Family Court to keep him from facing the possibility of a long stretch in an adult prison.

Family Court Judge Judy McMahon found that prosecutors had sufficient probable cause to proceed with the murder case, but she has yet not ruled on moving it to adult court. The hearing continues today.

Green, now 15, is accused of shooting Maybank twice in the back with a stolen .38-caliber revolver after school let out at Daniel Jenkins Academy, which caters to students with discipline problems. Witnesses identified Green as the triggerman and told police the boy had shown off the gun on the way to school that morning, Kramitz testified.

Police arrested Green at his nearby home a short time later. They found him sitting with a friend on a living room couch watching television, Kramitz said. He initially denied any involvement in the killing and told police he didn't even know Maybank, he said.

Several hours later, Green gave a second statement to police in which he admitted to the shooting, Kramitz said. The boy told police he stole the loaded gun from his cousins while staying with them the previous summer near Ravenel. He stated that he retrieved the pistol from a hiding place under an abandoned house on Feb. 5, shot Maybank and then tossed the gun in a field as he ran from the scene, Kramitz said.

Green claimed that Maybank and other teens had "ganged" him a month earlier, punching and stomping him before stealing his gold chain, Kramitz said. Green never reported the attack to police or his parents, and investigators have not determined whether it even occurred, he said.

Police haven't found the murder weapon or the camouflage jacket Green was wearing the day of the shooting, Kramitz said. But in addition to eyewitnesses to the shooting, detectives uncovered video surveillance footage from the school that shows Green and some friends following Maybank and another teen down Bonds Avenue that afternoon, Kramitz said.

The tape shows one boy passing something to Green just before shots were fired and Green running from the area after the shooting, nearly getting hit by a car in the process, Kramitz said. The tape did not capture the shooting itself, he said.
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...ng-police-say/

Also, one of my favorite liquor stores got robbed at knife-point this weekend :(

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    This is awful. What is this world coming to?

GM
    Not good at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I worked with some tough kids from the lowcountry. Charleston, N Charleston, W Ashley, Summerville, Beaufort. We got a lot of troubled kids from that area. Not sure what it is. They all seemed to be gang affiliated or close to it. And all this was 9 yrs ago. I can't imagine it's gotten any better.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    This is awful. What is this world coming to?
    Some of our nation's youth lack morals. Where should we point the finger? Our public schools, or us as parents? Sometimes the cold, hard facts take us by surprise. Thing is....we should have been expecting them all along since we did little when it was most important. What is the world coming to? What we've let it become. Just the facts.

I'd just like to throw a comment in here before all our out-of-state neighbors run for their lives . Charleston is a beautiful Antebellum style city with a million things to do and see in the downtown area. It's walking friendly (except the darn cobbles!) and has some of the most interesting museums and definitely some of the best restaurants in the world. Stay in the "Tourist-y" areas and you should be just fine, even through twilight. That said, going outside the immediate downtown tourist district is probably not a good idea during the day, and is a sure no-no after dark. Unemployment and drug use has cost this area dearly, and there is a tremendous gang problem. Law enforcement is holding the line downtown, but not doing as well outside the tourist area. Much like Savannah, if you go looking for trouble you're sure to find it, but if you would like spending a few days in another era, Charleston is a great place to try. Just my perspective as a fan of the Lowcountry; YMMV.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

"She's a goooooddddd girl."
    "He's a gooooooddddd boy."

"They were planning on college and wanted to be rap stars.
    He (she) fell in with bad companions."

There, does that cover it?

us as parents?
    No, not us as parents. You didn't have anything to do with it. That parent (wanna' bet there is just one?) let the kid run wild and lived a life of living off someone else. (freeloader)

When will we learn?

I just read a story today where a 14 yr. old GIRL shot two robbery victims because they laughed at her when she pulled a gun on them. Killed one, other wounded. Let's hope she didn't have a kid yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Some of our nation's youth lack morals. Where should we point the finger? Our public schools, or us as parents? Sometimes the cold, hard facts take us by surprise. Thing is....we should have been expecting them all along since we did little when it was most important. What is the world coming to? What we've let it become. Just the facts.

My wife & I parented our 3 just fine ... it's the rest of ya'll the F*%$ed up! There ... I bet that raised some gander ... GOOD! The sad truth is that a home with a married father & mother from beginning to end is a rarity these days ... that my friends, is the root of our problems. When the new norm continues to be divorced single parents, or Johnny with 2 mommys, Sally with 2 daddys, the welfare / food stamp teen mom that gets more money for each one she can pop out (then to hell with each one of them after they're here), or the gangsta guy that only wants to get willie wonka wet & splits when the wench is late, the cycle will only perpetuate. Sorry to be blunt & raw, but that's the way it is, & someone has to say it. Insanity / Stupidity is continuing to do that same things the same way & expecting different results ... DUUUUUUH! The direction we're headed, things won't get better anytime soon, if ever at all !!! The more social dependency that is created in this country, the worse it will become, & the longer & harder it will be to correct, if at all (ie. the more free hooters you keep giving to the babies, the more the babies will kick & scream when you try taking the free hooters away).
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Our public schools, or us as parents?
    My .02. Parents and schools used to discipline kids. Mostly parents. Then parents started to not like how the schools were "disciplining" their kids. Mostly corporal punishment I think. So we made most of them stop. Our schools still spank, thank goodness. But we forgot to give them a way to discipline the kids that was effective and simple enough for a school to do it. Then parents decided to "just be their kids friends" and let the school discipline them and be the bad guy. But we took the discipline out of school. So now what? Lets use expulsion as discipline! Great idea! Reward the kids for bad behavior by kicking them out of the school they did not want to be in. Then we all want to know why kids are hanging out on the street and not in school? Because they are being punished for being bad in school by being released into the streets to hang with their friends. Wait, what? That can't possibly work can it?

Show me a messed up kid, and with a very high accuracy rate, I'll show you a messed up parent. My job used to be trying to fix those messed up kids and parents in SC. Wow, the things I saw and heard. Over six years I can think of one or two cases where the parents seemed to be doing the right things and the kid was just going off the deep end. Mostly though it was a combination of kid and parent problems.

I can tell you this. If my kids get in serious trouble in school, school problems will be the least of their worries.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Two women and a man were robbed by an armed man at the Bridgeview Village apartments about 3 a.m. on June 16, 2009. The women also were raped, according to police reports.

When Mitchell went to court in April, the charge had been reduced to one count of strong-arm robbery. He was convicted and given a suspended sentence and two years of probation. According to the state Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services, Mitchell is under active supervision.

Here's a big part of the problem right here...probation when he should have been put in jail for decades?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kids are raised by the media more than ever before in history....... Parents cannot "hit" kids at all, teachers cannot even "scowl" at kids anymore..... kids don't even know how to socialize with each other since they are buried in their iGadgets 24/7/365 ...... its pathetic...... When I was a kid, we all talked and played at the bus stop. Now, look at kids. There will be 10 of them standing there, and not a single one talking to the other. They are all texting and IM'ing etc...etc.....

Facebook, Twitter..... these are now the platforms raising our kids...... I can't wait to see in another 10 years how screwed up we are....

Links