Environmental Militant Takes Hostages at Discovery Channel - BAD

This is a discussion on Environmental Militant Takes Hostages at Discovery Channel - BAD within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-ente...ry?id=11535128 Sept. 1, 2010— A gunman, possibly carrying explosives and who police say is an enviornmental activist, has entered the headquarters of the Discovery Channel, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Environmental Militant Takes Hostages at Discovery Channel - BAD

Environmental Militant Takes Hostages at Discovery Channel - BAD

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-ente...ry?id=11535128

Sept. 1, 2010—

A gunman, possibly carrying explosives and who police say is an enviornmental activist, has entered the headquarters of the Discovery Channel, fired shots and taken hostages, according to police and witnesses in Silver Spring, Md.

Law enforcement identified the suspect as James Lee, 43, from Washington, D.C., who has for at least two years called for protests against the company and who was arrested and found guilty of disorderly conduct for a protest outside of Discovery's headquarters in 2008.

Employees at the building were told to take cover in locked offices and police have sent SWAT teams to the area to seal off nearby roads.The FBI and agents from ATF, including explosives experts, also rushed to the building.

Capt. Paul Starks said the suspect had what may be an explosive device strapped to his body. Starks said there "may be other potential devices" with the gunman.

The captain said, "His concern is with the Discovery corporation."

One witness, project manager Ari Fisher said he returned to the building at 1 p.m. following lunch and peered into the lobby before being told to flee from the building.

Fisher says he saw the gunman holding a security guard at his side with 12 hostages laying on the floor of the lobby.

"We couldn't see the weapon. We peered in and could make out his silhouette. We saw him holding a security guard at his side. There were other people on the floor, a dozen or so," Fisher told ABCNews.com from locked building across the street.

Others were trapped inside the suburban headquarters.

"Friends, I am in work closet with workers here. There is a shooter here at Discovery. I am ok," read a text from one Discovery employee.

Another employee said the Lee had taken a hostage. "The police are trying to get the situation under control!INSANE!" read the email to ABCNews.

Some employees were initially sent to higher floors and later evacuated, police said. Witnesses on the scene said another group of employees left the building around 1:44 p.m.

Hostage Drama at Discovery Headquarters
    The drama began when workers in the building got a bulletin from the building's security.

"We have reason to believe there is an armed gunman at One Discovery Place. All employees should seek protection in a locked office on their respective floors immediately," read an email sent to employees and read over the public address system.

"There's a guy with a gun in the lobby. Police are swarming in -- assault rifles and all," one producer told ABCNews.com via instant message.

Police said they received a call at 1 p.m. about a gunman in the lobby possibly carrying explosives.

The building has a daycare center, which witnesses say has been evacuated.

"Crazy to see the babies coming out of childcare center piled into rolling cribs into the McD's across the street, a safe zone," said a witness via email.

The building, which houses the offices of Discovery Channel and its sibling networks including Animal Planet, is located just outside Washington DC.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    They have employees that can take care of this......

Call Bear Grylls to take him out.....
    Then Call Mike Rowe to clean up the mess.....

NO but in all seriousness, this sucks! Here is another example of why workplaces should allow carry. I feel bad because if he does have a security guard hostage, there is no reason he/she should have been unarmed. Unarmed Security Guards are targets if they do not have a Gun.....
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Welcome to Montgomery County Maryland!
    I tried texting a friend hoping he was at work to get the latest, but he is at the dentist.
    If this guy truly cares about the environment all they need to do is tell him that they had to shut down Georgia avenue because of him and point out what that will mean during rush hour.
    Does he have any idea what his new carbon footprint is?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Is this an act of terror? If so, he must be a Muslim. (sarcasm)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You got here first. :)

Just another nutcase? I wonder how the VPC will spin this ????
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Just another nutcase? I wonder how the VPC will spin this ????
    They'll say it's a militia nut that bought evil black machine guns with "things that go up" in NY that really came from the evil fishing/hunting/terrorist supply shop in the rural VA moocow black market.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Does he have any idea what his new carbon footprint is?
    Probably not!
    But here is my carbon footprint!

actually mine would have a Glock 19 in it instead of a 92f/s.

I think I will change that to my avatar.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just got a text from a friend back there. Says BG is down.
    All I got was "we shot him". don't know if entry done or sniper or what.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

ya, I just heard the news, BG down, hostages are fine.................a good outcome
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Finally, a situation involving a psycho with a gun that ends well for everyone. Hostages safe and gunman dead.

Administrator
    He is no longer breathing and won't be spewing out any more greenhouse gas Carbon Dioxide.

Actually he was a California Left Wing Radical Environmental "Save The Planet" nut-case who was primarily concerned about overpopulation and filthy human babies becoming the future polluters of the planet and he hated human "breeders" of baby future polluters of the planet.
    He was partially influenced by the ALGORE movie....though that will never make the national news.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I figured you guys would be all over this. Do I consider him a terrorist? No. Do I think he was a crazy nut case? Yes.
    There is a difference. It seems he is a far left wing radical environmentalist who believes we must stop humans from inhabiting the planet.
    Did he have training, financial backing, co-conspirators? I don't think so. Did his mentor send him out to do "Mother Nature's" work? Nah. Did he have 50 E-mails to Al Gore? No. (but the movie did have a big effect on him. Maybe instead of al Qaeda, we have al-Goreda. Snark, snark)
    But here's the big difference. Will he be praised as a brave soldier in the environmental war by most in this country? Not a chance.
    Everyone I heard said, "I hope they put a cap in his ......".well, you know.
    I know Obama and Napolitano have banned the word "terrorist" when discussing muslim terrorists. Now, they will only discuss a "Man caused disaster." Get real. I was waiting for Bloomberg or some other hack to say, "It must be some Tea Party guy." like he did after the Times Square bomber made his failed attempt at killing thousands.
    Are people in the streets tonight praising this nutcase and hoping their kids grow up to be just like him? No. That's what makes this country great.

VIP Member
    Actually, QK, the article I just read (on Yahoo news) specifically referenced the shooter being influenced by An Inconvenient Truth. Guess we should ban former vice-presidents from making environmental documentaries...as of today, they've killed more people than any of my privately owned guns.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

GM
    At least it ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links