Newspaper story

This is a discussion on Newspaper story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Basically telling people they need to get licensed and learn how and when to use a firearm,the Firearms Instructor needs a wakeup call,Guns don't kill ...

Thread: Newspaper story

Newspaper story

Basically telling people they need to get licensed and learn how and when to use a firearm,the Firearms Instructor needs a wakeup call,Guns don't kill people and a class on Concealed handgun laws isn't gonna drill safe weapons handling into somebody in one day.
    http://www.themonitor.com/articles/d...d-mcallen.html
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I didn't take it that way.
    “Unless you receive the proper training, don’t buy a gun because guns kill people.”
    With the rest of the article taken in context, I don't think he means it in the same was as the Brady Bunch.

“If you are going buy a gun, take the time to learn how to use it and when not to use it,” he said. “You have to be prepared for things because we do not live in a nice place anymore.”
    He's certainly realistic about this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

“Unless you receive the proper training, don’t buy a gun because guns kill people.”
    With the rest of the article taken in context, I don't think he means it in the same was as the Brady Bunch.
    I totally agree. He takes a lot of flak for that in the comments to the article, but give the man some credit - he's an instructor, and his job is to get people certified for CCW. He knows the expression "guns don't kill people..." by heart. You are right, retsup, his meaning is more nuanced: he's saying "untrained fools who don't know what they're doing kill themselves or others by mistake."

Remember that other article posted here earlier in the week? The senior citizen who accidentally shot his wife during a HD practice drill? That's what the guy was talking about.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

It is significantly more beneficial statistically to have a gun regardless of training. Even zero training.

Of course gun + training is best. But people do surprisingly well just waving the thing around.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

In any context I think the "guns kill people" was a bad choice. Unless you are ready to make a long argument about using it to protect yourself from a BG intent on killing you. It's well quoted by both sides of the argument. It would have been nice to have him make a better point about gun safety. Keep in mind that it could have been taken out of a larger context too. I know, it's hard to believe the media would do such a thing.

The rest of it is OK. He's an instructor so of course he pushed taking the class. I've recommended the class in NC to folks who don't intend to CC but want to OC. Because it's a good place to be instructed on the gun laws and use of deadly force law for NC. Plus you get some range time to boot.
    Last edited by chiefjason; September 6th, 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links