Another day, another home invasion horror story ):

This is a discussion on Another day, another home invasion horror story ): within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Early this morning a Phoenix family awoke to find an armed intruder breaking into their home. The pregnant wife was shot in the head by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another day, another home invasion horror story ):

Early this morning a Phoenix family awoke to find an armed intruder breaking into their home. The pregnant wife was shot in the head by the scumbag. Currently she's in critical condition.

It's events like this that make me want to move back to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Stay armed and stay safe.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...shot-abrk.html

OK. So this is a Strategy and Tactics problem. What went wrong and how could the defenders have succeeded in this situation?

Their tragedy is our chance to learn.

First thought is that calling 911 and summoning police was probably the needed move. Clearing the house is usually a strategic error that hands the advantage back to the intruder.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'm sure there's more to the story, but why in the blue hell would any man let a pregnant woman leave the bedroom first?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy72 View Post
    It's events like this that make me want to move back to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Stay armed and stay safe.
    There is no such place as "nowhere" any more. A "small town"? It doesn't even matter if you're 'out of town' any more. Heck......my grandparents were robbed out in the middle of nowhere at home 15 years ago (Cherry Valley, NY). You can't escape it. What's come to bear we either deal with, or we succumb to the presence of evil. There is no escape.

Several problems with this; also no mention of if the homeowner was armed.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    There is no such place as "nowhere" any more. A "small town"? It doesn't even matter if you're 'out of town' any more. Heck......my grandparents were robbed out in the middle of nowhere at home 15 years ago (Cherry Valley, NY). You can't escape it. What's come to bear we either deal with, or we succumb to the presence of evil. There is no escape.
    RamRod has the gift of encouragement. : )

This is a sad story. This home definitely needed to be armed and trained...including how to call 911.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You're right, scumbags are anywhere and everywhere ... kinda like roaches. There's a whole generation of people raised to care only about satisfying their cravings, they don't care about community, they don't care about people ... they only care about getting what they want and will step on anyone to fill that need. It's sad and maybe I'm nostalgic for an America that never existed ...

Point is that if a roach shows up and tries that crap at my place an 80 lb dog and .40 S&W will show them how to act in my America !

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    OK. So this is a Strategy and Tactics problem. What went wrong and how could the defenders have succeeded in this situation?

Their tragedy is our chance to learn.

First thought is that calling 911 and summoning police was probably the needed move. Clearing the house is usually a strategic error that hands the advantage back to the intruder.
    The phone ... if you were to ask my what the most important tools I have at my disposal for self-preservation I wouldn't have thought to say "the phone". I used to have one at my bedside but recently I dropped the landline and rely solely on my cell. At night that cell phone is in the next room charging. I'm going to move the charging station to my bedside.

Call police, hunker down with family, and wait until the police tell you it is safe to come out. They KNEW for a fact the guy was armed (he already shot at the man), but they ASSUMED he left. Critical difference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Get a dog. Use your phone. Get a gun, learn to use it. So sad! My heart aches for that family. The brazenness of someone breaking in by throwing a brick through the window of an occupied home! No consideration to women and children in the home. Lots of things left out of this story, but, as written, it's horrible. How can ANYONE read something like this and think that our safety and security should be left up to the police? This family is lucky that only the mother was shot. Good thing the intruder didn't come looking and shooting for them. I hope he gets caught. Better yet, I hope his lifestyle catches up to him and he gets what's coming to him.

True that there is nowhere left. My family and I recently moved to a small town in Tn. Small by my standards as I grew up in NJ & NYC. We got ourselves a little 4 bdr/ 2.5 ba ranch style with 3/4 of an acre. We've been here just over 1 month. Our house has had 2 attempted break-ins already...for whatever reason I have a feeling that it's going to continue.

The town is poor with many meth heads and pill addicted cons, thieves and crooks. I believe a person or persons local to us has seen our out of state license and has assumed we are easy targets. Mistake. The first "prowler" is in jail. The second got away. I have my G19 on the back of the couch as I type this. I don't intend on myself or anyone in my family being victims.

Stay armed and stay safe everyone.

Live isolated, invest in Claymores and long distance warning devices...
    Hardly possible today...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

why the hell did the man let HER leave first?!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Crappy.

He lives in AZ too and could have shot the intruder with an Uzi FA and the cops would have said meh .... self defense no charges pressed.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    why the hell did the man let HER leave first?!
    That literally was the first question to come to my own mind. ^^

Agreed with Shockwave and others that this is an item we all could learn from as by proxy, so that we can do better.
    I have a few comments...

I too am very much not a fan of clearing ones own house, except when and if it calls for doing so as to locate _children_ and other family members who are human beings to secure their welfare (pet animals can take care of themself, or be easily replaced).
    Same applys toward house fires. You do not and would not think to rush into or through ones homw that is on fire, _EXCEPT_ as to when the welfare of a human being unable to care for themself is in _real_ immediate jeopardy.
    Clearing ones own house, leave that to the cops with their cop dogs. Rather exit you home by what ever means available...IMMEDIATELY.

Second item and we have discussed this here at DC.com very many times; Telephone in the bedroom.
    Specifically a cell phone because as reported everywhere including here BGs are now days more often cutting exterior phone service lines prior to entering so as to disable home alarm systems.
    Some folk including myself use internet service (cable) to support part if not all of their outbound phone servicing. This works though only if your servicing does not run over a phone line AND that the BG doesn't cut/disable that line too.

Which brings us to cellular.
    I have been a big fan for keeping my cell phone at my bedside. I am primary on the call list toward the security company for a building that a group I manage in my private life owns. I get calls constantly of intrusion alerts and/or temperature issues.
    95% of the time when I'm asleep my cell is laying beside me on the night stand. Problem is though that 5% of the time, like last night, I forget to grab it.
    Then there are the times when I forget to plug the phone in to the charger and yep it runs very low on power (red batt alert) or even completely dies during the night. Out of commission.

Seeing this story today reminds me personally that I should go buy a cheap TracFone type _pre-paid_ phone from WalMart/Target/BestBuy/Costco (lowest cost with near zero features but to dial out) and keep that in it's charger in the closet near/with my secured HD purposed shotgun and ammo. And not use it ever for anything but in case of immediate emergency, to dial 911.
    I will do this today if not tomorrow!

Net10 Prepaid Cellular Phone, LG 300G
    300 minutes @ $29.99
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00399898000P

Another item to learn from this, how to escape from ones own home!
    Yes these people _might_, but not assuredly, have better survived had one or even both of them had access to arms of sort within their home and specifically their bedroom as for immediate defense. Or they both might have been shot and neutralized leaving the children at the mercy of the threat(s). This has happened and been posted in reports here, too.
    Further what if the threat had not been a BG but rather fire?! How could they have escaped with no phone at immediate hand (my assumption) and huddled inside of a room?

Easy. By means of a tool I have been suggesting to friends, family and past rental tenants of mine for two decades...

Two-Story Fire Escape Ladder
    $35.97 @ WalMart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Aler...ReviewTitleBar

I have a three-story length model because my last two houses at the highest window point to either ground or a patio below were that high up.
    Buy one, stow it in an area such as your bedroom closet where you can get to it very easily and _quickly_ (When in need you will be fighting a clock!) and most of all practice with it prior to learn how to set it up in your window and even do a fire drill going out the side of your house with it.
    In the event the weather outside is cold (the ladder is made of metal) toss in several pairs of cheap but insulative gloves to the storage box for use. Or in a pinch use a pair of socks worn on your hands socket puppet style.
    I keep this at my current house in a storage room directly behind my MBR right next to the large size commercial type ABC fire extinguisher I keep there. A second fire extinguisher that is residential type is kept in my bedroom next to my night stand in a wall corner. An escape tool as well as if re-purposed a defensive weapon.

These are items I thought I'd share that may have allowed this family to better survive.
    As well it should be assumed to make no assumptions when a threat has entered ones home. Just because you no longer hear persons moving around doesn't mean they are no longer there.
    As to why the mom, who was pregnant!, went out the door at all muchless first will remain a mystery.
    I would not have done so, but then I'd have done a lot very differently too. Others mileage may and does vary.

Very sad and unfortunate that this family is now ruined for the reminder of their life and that of their childrens lives (future grandchildren who will have no grandmother) thanks to a single incident.
    As well you can bet that the surviving family,their family members, friends, neighbors and co-workers as well as school chums will largely become and vote anti-gun as a result.
    Terrible all the way around.

- Janq aka 'Safety Sam' as my wife for ages has been referring to me
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links