Marines Doing what Marines where meant to do!

This is a discussion on Marines Doing what Marines where meant to do! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The German owned vessel Magellan Star was the latest ship to be seized in the Gulf of Aden yesterday. At about 5 a.m. local time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marines Doing what Marines where meant to do!

Senior Moderator

Marines Doing what Marines where meant to do!

The German owned vessel Magellan Star was the latest ship to be seized in the Gulf of Aden yesterday. At about 5 a.m. local time this morning, 24 marines boarded the ship. The US Navy says that nine pirates were captured. Not a shot was fired. None of the ships' crew or the marines were hurt in the assault.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...57&sc=fb&cc=fp
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Just read this! Good job that all went well
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Wonder if they will bring the pirates will be brought back to the US?

Wonder if the judge will agree that this was piracy?

See: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/17...arges-somalis/
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    SEMPER FI ! DO OR DIE.

Good job guys. Since the ship was not of US registry would the US have jurisdiction? I am actually asking I cause I dont know.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

One thing that was left out of all the reports was that 9 pairs of clean pants had to be brought in...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Wonder if they will bring the pirates will be brought back to the US?

Wonder if the judge will agree that this was piracy?

See: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/17...arges-somalis/
    recently they've been bringing pirates to be tried at a neutral 3rd country such as Kenya...recently some pirates brought to the US got 25 Years. Personally I prefer the sentence dealt out by the Navy Seal Snipers earlier this year
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    recently they've been bringing pirates to be tried at a neutral 3rd country such as Kenya...recently some pirates brought to the US got 25 Years. Personally I prefer the sentence dealt out by the Navy Seal Snipers earlier this year
    Plus One for me on the Navy Seals method....
    For God, Family and Country!

Something tells me that even if these criminals are holding the crew hostage,once a platoon of marines board the ship the message would be very clear,surrender and live,any hostages get hurt or killed and everyone of you will have to swim back to somalia in your clothes and all your ammo securely tied to you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM
    Good job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I wonder how the marines got aboard without taking fire.
    Once they capture a ship, these pirates usually have lookouts posted to keep this from happening.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    That is interesting considering we never trained marines for this type of environment. We usually used Sailors for this task like SWCC or SEALs. Usually SWCC did all the boardings or the ship assigned fleet sailors with specialized training.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

That was the Marines!? I thought it was the Navy Seals.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    That is interesting considering we never trained marines for this type of environment. We usually used Sailors for this task like SWCC or SEALs. Usually SWCC did all the boardings or the ship assigned fleet sailors with specialized training.
    What! The Marines wrote the book on these types of ops. People dont seem to understand that the services share schools and training for their own special ops groups. When I served in Marine Recon, we went to 3 weeks of jump school in Fort Benning which is an Army School, Scout Sniper at Geiger which is a Marine school, Naval gunfire school in the Great Lakes which is Navy, and Scuba School by the Navy. Also, I missed Sere which I think is an Airforce school. While at these schools, there were Rangers, Seals, Green Berets, and Air Force Para Jumpers in attendance. There are Marines on every naval vessel serving their Sea Duty Billets providing security. Traditional Marine duties were to protect naval ships from pirates, back in the late 1700s up thru the 1800s. Long ago when the Navy specialized in deep sea diving, the Marines were specialized in air, land, sea. But during the last 20 years or so the Navy has gotten alot of attention for its Special Warfare Sea-Air-Land, or Seal teams. It is getting to the point that all of the Special Op Capable units are almost interchangable. Which is good, but it kind of sucks for tradition of each service.

Well done!
    A few good men CAN get the job done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nicely done, Devildogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links