Good Samaritan thwarts robbery attempt (with video)

Good Samaritan thwarts robbery attempt (with video)

This is a discussion on Good Samaritan thwarts robbery attempt (with video) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this on the news tonight and what cracked me up is that one of the news commentators stated that from how he is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Good Samaritan thwarts robbery attempt (with video)

I saw this on the news tonight and what cracked me up is that one of the news commentators stated that from how he is holding the gun it looks like he doesn't know how to use it. News commentators are such amazing people.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpps/news/stra...10-jgr_3576910

ST. FRANCIS, Wis. (AP) - A good Samaritan has thwarted a bank robbery in Wisconsin by jumping on an armed man.

The Associated Bank's surveillance video shows the man at a counter when the masked robber carrying a gun rushes to a teller at the bank in St. Francis at about 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I bet if that Samaritan brandished a weapon and even if he let the criminal run off he would been charged with some kind of felony.

I can almost bet my left leg on it.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

GM
    IMO the robber was not a very smart guy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I bet if that Samaritan brandished a weapon and even if he let the criminal run off he would been charged with some kind of felony.

I can almost bet my left leg on it.
    In Indiana? He'd get an award from the mayor.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always wonder about these situations. If I was in the Samaritan's situation and me being able to legally conceal carry, could I get into a legal battle if I executed this guy with a shot to the head instead of putting myself in harms way trying to wrestle the guy? To me it seems like anyone in a state where you can carry concealed should be able to take a guy out if you feel trained and able to do it. I'd just hate to go on the offensive and have a legal battle if it could be avoided even though I should be in the clear as he is obviously holding a firearm. I'd like to know from those carry and shoot often enough to know this would have been an easy head shot to drop this threat,how you'd feel about this type of situation.

In Tx we can come to the aid of a 3rd party(The Bank Teller) If the BG gets a round in the back of his head he shoulda picked a different career path
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unwise move by the GG.

BG is standing there with gun in hand leveled at a human being (!) at the other end of the barrel just inches away.
    GG comes up from behind with a very poorly attempted rear naked choke style grab, his right arm was totally wrong in placement which is why the result was GG being carried like a backpack.

But even if he had set up the hold correctly, the BG very likely had his finger on the trigger. It takes just a fist clench and five pounds of finger pressure to result in that gun going off...Putting a bullet into a human being (!) who otherwise would have very likely walked away clean.
    Folk thinking to rush in as a hero should take note of this. What would one say to the tellers husband, children and family members if that gun had gone off and resulted in his/her death or a lifetime of disfigurement and/or disability.

This is just bits of colored paper, that is wholly insured (!) by the bank.
    Not at all worth a human life. Either that of the GG, the teller...Nor even the BG (!).

If I were that teller I'd be IRATE and have told the well meaning but ineffectual GG exactly what I've stated above.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Agreed Janq. The natural human response to being attacked is to tense up. If his finger is on the trigger, that means the gun is likely to go off. Stupid move by the GG in this case.

However I'll say that given my weapon in this situation, I'd have a hard time not lining up a shot, calling out to get the gun off the teller and shooting. I understand it's just money and it's insured, but I think I'd have to intervene. I don't know exact stats on how many armed robbers kill people, but I can guarantee you it happens and I couldn't live with myself if I had the ability to act, didn't, and the teller got shot.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Paaiyan,

With purpose I did not speak to that angle of should one do something [else], or not.
    To my eye the view provided by this very brief and narrow focus cam clip is too little to call it toward what else might could be done.

I wouldn't try to imagine what I myself might do....Without more information about the situation, location, surroundings AND what lies to the side and rear of this guy as down range of where shots just might be fired [by others in this thread].

Frankly I do not at all care about money (!).

I know that sounds like crazy talk but it's the truth.
    It's just colored paper, bits of shaped metal and molded plastic to my eye and mind.
    There is no amount of money worth my life; To me and my kids.
    Especially not money of some other person or for that matter a well insured corporation (!).

Money is very easy to get, repair or replace.
    Human beings not so much.

Roughly an hour ago my wife and 4 yr.old son walked through the door from being out for their days adventures. I was in the kitchen making my lunch.
    I hugged my wife, kissed her on the cheek and picked my boy up to gave him a big double armed hug, then whispered in his ear that I loved him.
    His response; "I know Da-Da...You tell me that almost every day!", as he hugged me back and smiled.

To hell with money, and every other man made thing in this life.
    I'd rather be momentarily penniless; Alive able to hug my kids and tell them same things I did yesterday and will do tomorrow.

- Janq

P.S. -
    Like you I too would have a moral problem with not attempting to aid another dad/mom/son/daughter (that is how I see people, now) as from _imminent_ mortal danger.
    But that said the game is chess rather than checkers.
    It's not real world always simple math of A+B=C. Most often the math are equations including algebra, geometry and calculus.
    Margins of error with human life are narrow.
    With an event like this I don't know what I'd do...But I am very sure I would not do what this GG did, even as in the end it worked out for all involved without bodily harm.

Know though that I fully admit and am okay with the fact that I am not a tough guy.
    I'm not and have never been a punk. But I'm too old now with too much to lose and little to gain to be a tough guy, savior or a hero.
    I just wanna be left alone to live and let live, and I do same to others.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

First off, Janq is correct on all counts (man, I'm going to get soooooo tired of typing that every day!). The standard bank "stick-up" haul is about $2000. That isn't very much money to risk your own life for.

Like the man said, the bank is totally insured for that, and they probably pay more than that every month for the premium. To them, it's nothing.

You, the CCW permit holder, carry for defense of yourself, and your loved ones. In the most dire, extreme circumstances, you may opt to come to the aid of a third party. A dumb bank robbery isn't the scenario we train for. Provided that the robber doesn't start shooting people and threaten you directly, there's no need to "execute" the perp.

I'm going to "go large" here and say that anybody in this thread who is asking about lining up behind the guy and taking the headshot ought to go back to CHL class and pay close attention next time to the part where they talk about you not being LEO.

There's an old movie, maybe one of the Dirty Harry films, in which the BG tells the clerk to get on his knees and start sucking the end of the shotgun. In a situation like that, you may have just cause for the head-popping bit. But this video showed a typical, moron bank robbery in progress. Grabbing the guy could have caused him to shoot an innocent and it was a really stupid move.

So there's all that.

Now, for the fun part: What should the GG have done if he wanted to intervene? I'll offer one possibility, from a martial arts perspective. You come behind this clown, take a knee like a return receiver declaring the ball down, grab the perp by both ankles and then rip back and up for all you'll worth. His head will go down (hopefully meeting Senor Counter on the way) and he'll body slam to the floor. Stomp on the hand with the gun and take the piece away.

Advanced practioners might come up from behind, cup the guy's chin and twist it to the side away from the gun while grabbing the gun hand and pointing it down in a safe direction. Easy takedown from there.

Jumping on the guy's back and doing the bogus choke bit, that was just comical. The correct move would have been to back away and alert someone to sound the alarm.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

There is a reason that a significant percentage of banks do not even hit the alarm until the robber has left. The prefer not to have an in bank conflict even with LE as one of the participants.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx we can come to the aid of a 3rd party(The Bank Teller) If the BG gets a round in the back of his head he shoulda picked a different career path
    Same in GA. We have the legal authority to stop a felony in progress if we feel it is detrimental to innocent human life.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    I always wonder about these situations. If I was in the Samaritan's situation and me being able to legally conceal carry, could I get into a legal battle if I executed this guy with a shot to the head instead of putting myself in harms way trying to wrestle the guy? To me it seems like anyone in a state where you can carry concealed should be able to take a guy out if you feel trained and able to do it. I'd just hate to go on the offensive and have a legal battle if it could be avoided even though I should be in the clear as he is obviously holding a firearm. I'd like to know from those carry and shoot often enough to know this would have been an easy head shot to drop this threat,how you'd feel about this type of situation.
    Laws on justified use of deadly force vary from state to state. Even if you are the good guy and are eventually exonerated, odds are that you will spend a lot to defend yourself. I would not want to go up against 12 jurors in a gun-hating state. But if you saved your life or someone else's...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Shockwave, I like the thought of pulling his feets out from under him.... but I'm afraid the gun could also go off perhaps more dangerously than the second option you offer, which I am not trained to do. A flying tackle from the side might have been more effective for me, if I chose to participate... which I probably would not. But, if I did, my first priority would be to get the muzzle of his gun away from others.

It looks like he had his head wrapped ala The Invisible Man... hmmm?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I would pay money to see a BG get the leg tug dace plant action as Shockwave describes.
    That would be hilarious!

Just minus a gun in his hand or at least with no innocents as down range of him.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links