No-knock warrant"Family of woman killed in botched drug raid to receive $4.9m"

This is a discussion on No-knock warrant"Family of woman killed in botched drug raid to receive $4.9m" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have read other posts here about how you all feel about no-knock warrants... http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16/....botched.raid/ The city of Atlanta will pay $4.9 million to the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: No-knock warrant"Family of woman killed in botched drug raid to receive $4.9m"

I have read other posts here about how you all feel about no-knock warrants...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16/....botched.raid/

The city of Atlanta will pay $4.9 million to the family of Kathryn Johnston, a 92-year-old woman killed in a botched November 2006 drug raid, Mayor Kasim Reed's office announced Monday.

Johnston was shot to death by narcotics officers conducting a "no-knock" warrant. Investigators later determined the raid was based on falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Well, the $4.9 mil won't help the old woman now. Maybe, just maybe if enough butt chewing / dismissals etc. happens they will avoid this happening again in the future.

So tragic...
    For God, Family and Country!

GM
    “ … the raid was based on falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home. … and Smith admitted to planting bags of marijuana in Johnston's home after her death.”; that was not good at all. I wonder how in the earth they could do something like that!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    “ … the raid was based on falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home. … and Smith admitted to planting bags of marijuana in Johnston's home after her death.”; that was not good at all. I wonder how in the earth they could do something like that!
    This is not helping the people's trust of cops! a few bad apples spoil the bunch!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Raids happen, mistakes happen...they cannot be justified, but to lie and cover up the mistakes is even worse. The city didn't pay enough.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The incident prompted a major overhaul of the Atlanta police drug unit, and three former police officers were sentenced to prison terms for a cover-up that ensued.
    This might be the best possible outcome of the incident. although I don't believe the prison sentences were long enough.

When you can't have complete faith in those sworn to protect and defend you, then the rotten elements are on a par with spies and traitors during wartime - and deserve the same punishment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

This wasn't a botched drug raid it was a murder & another really good reason not to let LEOs use No-Knock Warrants especially. Also assaults like this endanger good officers since the general public will start defending themselves out of FEAR against Good LEOs just trying to do their jobs. Yes I know if the General public defends their self the LEOs may kill them anyway but maybe not before they are also injured or worse. This is not good for either side (Yes there are Sides for this type of attack) & a terrible future Stereotype towards LEOs. Before anyone says this isn't common one innocent NO Knock Warrant Murder is One to Many IMO & if it was my family it would never under any circumstances be forgiven.

I also agree with others that the LEOs involved got off easier then a civilian would have & their punishment wasn't a punishment fitting the crime. Another good reason I have always said when a LEO crosses the thin blue line it should be mandatory that he or she be held to a higher standard.

Sorry if my opinion offends anyone but every-time I read a story of a Raid gone wrong it makes my blood boil.

Amazing, why weren't these scumbags convicted of a capitol crime? Maybe its different in Georgia but in most states if a death occurs as a result of a felony crime being committed the perps are guilty of capitol murder and executed. Isn't falsifying a police report a felony? If so these creeps need a rope around their stinking neck. They disgrace all the decent men & women who put their lives on the line daily to serve. 10, 6 and 5 years for capitol murder is an insult. Forget what the city paid these scumbags did not get anything close to what they have coming. One would hope that the convicts in prison will. May they each have to spend the rest of their hopefully short lives having to sit on a donut.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I agree, the city should've had to pay more, and the dirty cops should've received longer sentences.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Here's the part of the story that really got my blood boiling...

Prosecutors have said that officers regularly presented false information to obtain warrants and that they cut corners to make more time for lucrative side jobs providing additional security to businesses, often while on duty, and receiving cash payments.
    How many other convictions need to be tossed as they REGULARLY presented false information....so they could get to their LUCRATIVE SIDE JOBS...

This story sickens me......
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    This might be the best possible outcome of the incident. although I don't believe the prison sentences were long enough.
    BINGO

For Tesler who put the whole thing in motion when he falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home, in any case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    The story is almost beyond belief. IMO, the actions of these corrupt cops are worse than any drug dealer. According to this Cato Institute web site: Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America, there are about 40,000 such raids each year, most often to serve narcotics warrants.

These raids are a true travesty of justice forced upon the American people. Yeah, a no-knock raid may be OK if we suspect someone is hatching a terrorist plot. But to serve a narcotics warrant? No frigging way.

Glad to see the family won multi-millions. It should have been more, much more.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What retsupt99 said. The chief and everyone below him that was involved should be fired!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

This single indecent as horrible/inexcusable as it is, this shows just how corrupt this unit was (is this prevalent through the department)...

Prosecutors have said that officers regularly presented false information to obtain warrants and that they cut corners to make more time for lucrative side jobs providing additional security to businesses, often while on duty, and receiving cash payments.
    Sounds like a real life "The Shield" operation.

TOF
    It makes one wonder just how many LEO's carry a bag of dope so their bad busts and breakins can be validated.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links