7 year old shoots, kills self-- no charges to be filed - Page 2

7 year old shoots, kills self-- no charges to be filed

This is a discussion on 7 year old shoots, kills self-- no charges to be filed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe this child was taught the dangers of guns. This can raise the curiosity level in small children. There should never be firearms accessible when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 year old shoots, kills self-- no charges to be filed

Maybe this child was taught the dangers of guns. This can raise the curiosity level in small children. There should never be firearms accessible when children are around. Kids certainly should be educated about gun safety however, kids will be kids. These people should have had them properly locked. If you have a seven year old and you have loaded, unlocked guns around the house you are an IDIOT. You shouldn't have guns OR children as you clearly don't understand the value of either one.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Maybe this child was taught the dangers of guns. This can raise the curiosity level in small children. There should never be firearms accessible when children are around. Kids certainly should be educated about gun safety however, kids will be kids. These people should have had them properly locked. If you have a seven year old and you have loaded, unlocked guns around the house you are an IDIOT. You shouldn't have guns OR children as you clearly don't understand the value of either one.
    I'm sorry, but it's far more likely to be the other way around. Children who have received "Eddie Eagle" or similar safety instruction have an extremely good track record of taking appropriate action when they find an unattended firearm. Loaded firearms found in public places (discarded by a criminal) have been the cause of accidents in the past as well as guns found in the homes of friends and neighbors. I would rather teach my kids to leave the gun alone and come find me or another adult than withhold instruction on the dangers of firearms in hopes of avoiding arousing their curiosity. You sound like that 20/20 hatchet job of Eddie Eagle where the journalists claimed much the same.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's far more likely to be the other way around. Children who have received "Eddie Eagle" or similar safety instruction have an extremely good track record of taking appropriate action when they find an unattended firearm. Loaded firearms found in public places (discarded by a criminal) have been the cause of accidents in the past as well as guns found in the homes of friends and neighbors. I would rather teach my kids to leave the gun alone and come find me or another adult than withhold instruction on the dangers of firearms in hopes of avoiding arousing their curiosity. You sound like that 20/20 hatchet job of Eddie Eagle where the journalists claimed much the same.

Ryan
    So you don't agree with me and you think it's OK to leave loaded guns around the house with small children ?

In case you miss it, I did say kids should be educated on gun safety BUT kids are by nature curious little buggers. I would never educate them and THEN leave a loaded gun "in hopes of avoiding arousing their curiousity"

Hope is not a plan. I would never, ever take that chance. What about friends that come over who haven't had the "special training" ?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    So you don't agree with me and you think it's OK to leave loaded guns around the house with small children?
    Of course not, but I strongly object to the idea that educating children about firearms is going to make them more curious about them and therefore more likely to access and injure themselves with a firearm (which is the implication of the first sentence of the post I originally replied to). All of our children (down to the six and a half year old twins - I know, I should be ashamed of myself for neglecting the education of our three year old) have been exposed to firearms and have had the opportunity to handle them with close supervision while ensuring that Cooper's four rules are observed. None of them have any interest anymore unless we're planning a range trip, but all of our firearms are secured anyway and the children have been taught how to deal with a found firearm.

I refuse to assume that one of my children could never find an untended, loaded firearm under circumstances that are outside of my control. A gang-banger being chased by the cops might ditch a gun in some shrubs while being chased through my yard; a criminal might do the same thing at a local park; one of my kids friends might somehow gain possession of a gun and want to play show and tell; one of my kids friends' parents might leave a loaded firearm lying around etc.

Finally, I am not infallible and neither is my wife. I have screwed up in ways that make me wonder how or why I am still alive. I'm getting better as I get older, but I still screw up plenty - though not as catastrophically as in my youth. There has to be a news story every week about some child losing their life to a parent's negligence - unsupervised child near a pool; run over in the driveway; forgot the kid was in a car seat on a hot summer day etc. The media gets a lot of play out of firearm fatalities, but these are actually rare in comparison to the other common preventable deaths and dead is dead.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links