Violent crime drops even more.... ... .. ?? HUH?? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Violent crime drops even more.... ... .. ?? HUH?? (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since I thought that guns were bad and the fact that since BHO was elected and guns have boomed in sales since 2008 that crime ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Since I thought that guns were bad and the fact that since BHO was elected and guns have boomed in sales since 2008 that crime was going to be absolutely insane from all the extra guns in circulation.. according to our beloved journalist and gun policy experts.

I thought state and federal parks were going to be the wild wild west with shootouts galore.

I assumed that people carrying a firearm to a political rally was going to start WWIII. Look at the black guy in AZ who showed up with a slung AR. But wait ...

I AM SO CONFUSED>>>>>>> NOT really!

Read on ... and tell me where the FBI credits this report to the law abiding citizen whom purchased these guns, the states that have passed very pro carry laws, etc... GA, AZ, TN, FL, MT, etc...., and the fact that more members have been carrying publicly to political events, where legal of course, etc...

NO CREDIT. But I smell a hint of credit to policing agencies though. Not the Citizen who obeys the law and carries for protection in record numbers. The criminals only fear the cops? LOL

And too boot, the grand ole' STIMULUS PLAN dropped crime according to "Experts".

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/13/...iref=allsearch
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Apparently they haven't read, "More Guns, Less Crime".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I didn't think it was news worthy but if you want to wade through the stats, here they are. It looks like violent crime actually peaked in 2006.

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/september10/crime_091310.html

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member

Thumbs up GOOD -- NEW CRIME STATISTICS -- Crime Rates Continue to Fall

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/september10/crime_091310.html

During 2009, violent crime declined for the third year in a row, with an estimated 5.3 percent drop from 2008 figures. Property crime continued to fall as well—for a seventh straight year—with an estimated decrease of 4.6 percent. That’s according to our just-released report, Crime in the United States, 2009.
    These latest statistics come 80 years to the month after we took over the responsibility of compiling and publishing the nation’s crime data from the International Association of Chiefs of Police. The categories back in 1930 were almost identical to what we have today—murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, larceny-theft, burglary, and auto theft. (Arson came later.)

Some crime highlights from the 2009 report:
    • Each of the violent crime categories decreased from 2008—murder (7.3 percent), robbery (8.0 percent), aggravated assault (4.2 percent), and forcible rape (2.6 percent).
    • Each of the property crime categories also dropped from 2008—motor vehicle theft (17.1 percent), larceny-theft (4.0 percent), and burglary (1.3 percent).
    • Among the 1,318,398 violent crimes were 15,241 murders; 88,097 forcible rapes; 408,217 robberies; and 806,843 aggravated assaults.
    • Among the 9,320,971 property crimes were an estimated 2,199,125 burglaries; 6,327,230 larceny-thefts; 794,616 thefts of motor vehicles; and 58,871 arsons.
    • During 2009, the South accounted for 42.5 percent of all violent crime in the nation, followed by the West (22.9 percent), the Midwest (19.6 percent), and the Northeast (15.0 percent).
    • During 2009, 43.9 percent of all property crimes in the U.S. were recorded in the South, with 22.7 percent in the West, 20.8 percent in the Midwest, and 12.6 percent in the Northeast.
    Additional report highlights on criminals and victims:
    • In 2009, agencies nationwide made about 13.7 million arrests, excluding traffic violations. Of those arrests, an estimated 581,765 were for violent crimes.
    • Nearly 75 percent of all arrested persons in the nation during 2009 were male. Slightly more than 77 percent of all murder victims were also male.
    • Firearms were used in 67.1 percent of the nation’s murders, along with 42.6 percent of robberies and 20.9 percent of aggravated assaults. (Weapons data is not collected for forcible rapes.)
    • Collectively, victims of property crimes (excluding arson) lost an estimated $15.2 billion during 2009.
    Where do these numbers come from? From the 17,985 city, county, university and college, state, tribal, and federal agencies who participated in the Uniform Crime Reporting program in 2009.These agencies represent 96.3 percent of the nation’s population.
    The report also contains plenty of additional details, charts, and tables on crime during 2009, including more on offenses, criminals, victims, weapons used, geographic locations, etc. To find out about the crime picture in your state, go to our State Totals table.
    As always, a word of warning about drawing conclusions of the data by making direct comparisons between cities—valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction.
    And coming this fall—the 2009 Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted and Hate Crime Statistics reports, which will be posted on this website.
    Resources:
    - Press release
    -Crime in the United States, 2009
    - History of Crime in the United States
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

No comments? Really? I'd heard the same thing, and I think it's wonderful news.
    Won't stop me from carrying, though.
    Many different theories exist for why the decrease... - most of them being hot topics on DC. I wonder where the true answer(s) lie.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

hooray!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Personally, I think it might be due to more and more people arming themselves and the chances of running into an armed victim has gone way up percentage wise!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Less crime, huh? I guess that's why my city just laid off 24 officers. Don't need 'em. Need the funding more for "landscaping maintenance."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

From the tone of the OP, it doesn't look like real analysis is being asked for here. The two main drivers of lowered crime are, if you're interested, changing demographics and the recession.

Some will tend to believe that a bad economy would lead to more crime, as people become increasingly desperate. Such thinking is incorrect. In a bad economy, the risk-benefit is skewed away from crime being profitable. This has long been recorded and verified. Demographics present us with a decreasing number of persons in the high-risk offender population. Add this up and we get lowering rates of dramatic crime.

The Obama stimulus measures are uniformly regarded as having staved off a Depression. They were not all that popular, but that doesn't matter. It isn't a beauty contest. End of the day: it worked. Had a full-blown Depression happened, crime would have increased, because the risk-benefit changes the other way. The way it works is that a slight reduction in economic activity reduces the payoff for criminal activity, whereas in a major Depression nobody cares anymore and commits crime because there's no other choice.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    From the tone of the OP, it doesn't look like real analysis is being asked for here. The two main drivers of lowered crime are, if you're interested, changing demographics and the recession.

Some will tend to believe that a bad economy would lead to more crime, as people become increasingly desperate. Such thinking is incorrect. In a bad economy, the risk-benefit is skewed away from crime being profitable. This has long been recorded and verified. Demographics present us with a decreasing number of persons in the high-risk offender population. Add this up and we get lowering rates of dramatic crime.

The Obama stimulus measures are uniformly regarded as having staved off a Depression. They were not all that popular, but that doesn't matter. It isn't a beauty contest. End of the day: it worked. Had a full-blown Depression happened, crime would have increased, because the risk-benefit changes the other way. The way it works is that a slight reduction in economic activity reduces the payoff for criminal activity, whereas in a major Depression nobody cares anymore and commits crime because there's no other choice.
    Yeah I was not asking. I was being sarcastic.

No offense to my below statement, but the reason I believe we have such trouble with gun politics and politicians and getting citizens to understand is extremely complex examples of reasons why ...

And your analysis although intelligently written is too intense however probably VERY true. What I was going for in my post, guns have been sold in record numbers, citizens in droves have gotten record amounts of concealed and other forms of carry permits, criminals know it, and the crime has dropped as a result.

Criminals have their own economy. They are in fear of getting shot i believe. Why else does crime rise when laws oppress legal ownership and carry?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Apparently they haven't read, "More Guns, Less Crime".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime
    I like your simple answer.... man if only we could convey in the 4 words you spoke of to populaces in ENGLISH maybe we could make a difference.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Personally, I think it might be due to more and more people arming themselves and the chances of running into an armed victim has gone way up percentage wise!
    I agree with that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm sure that's part of it. Other people have put forth some rational reasoning for other things being partial causes, too.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Administrator
    I dont buy it. Politics skew numbers one way or another all the time. Based on what I see dealing with crime and criminals, crime is rising. The difference is conviction, prosecution and solvability rates.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When one looks at the total numbers of each crime category, it tells/shows me just how many 'dirtbags' are roaming the land...WAY TOO MANY!
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links