Officer shoots two dogs on a leash

This is a discussion on Officer shoots two dogs on a leash within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ST. PETERSBURG | The owners of two dogs shot by a police officer Sunday night say the animals should not have been killed. Chris Clark, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer shoots two dogs on a leash

Officer shoots two dogs on a leash

ST. PETERSBURG | The owners of two dogs shot by a police officer Sunday night say the animals should not have been killed.

Chris Clark, 44, said he was walking his Rottweiler, Quincy, and his landlord's Chesapeake Bay retriever, Missy, about 10 p.m.

He was in the 4600 block of Sixth Avenue North when he noticed a golden retriever being walked behind him without a leash.

He said he decided to speed up to put some distance between his leashed dogs and the retriever. That's when he noticed Officer Slobodan Juric walking toward him.

Juric was in the area responding to a complaint about a suspicious person, according to police reports.

Clark said Juric was yelling, trying to find two kids who were allegedly casing cars.

"He was real Joe Macho," Clark said of Juric.

Then Clark heard Missy and the unleashed dog growling at each other. By the time he turned to look, Quincy's leash had wrapped around him. He fell and the dogs started fighting.

Clark said he was grabbing his dogs' collars, trying to pull them away, when Juric yelled "mad dog" and pointed the gun at Missy.

Clark said the gun was 3 inches from his ear when Juric fired one shot into the dog.

Then the officer pointed the gun at Quincy and fired another round, Clark said. Then two more into Missy.

Clark said he was in shock and started yelling at the officer, who still had his gun out.

"What the hell did you do that for?" Clark said he yelled.

"You curse at me one more time and I'm going to arrest you," Clark remembers Juric saying.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...ere-on-Leashes
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

This is just insane. I don't get it.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

If it happened as reported, I hope to see that cop fired. Too many "tough guys" out there with badges that need to be looking for new jobs.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Either things are not exactly as described or that agency has some serious personnel issues. Based on what I read there I am a little suspicious of the statement. What makes me curious is the bit about the officer who is looking for kids casing cars (a time for stealth maybe?) being described as yelling. A third party statement would sure be nice on this one. Either the dogs' owner is lying or the officer involved is dumb as a box of rocks. At this point I don't think we have enough info to decide one way or the other.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I agree re not enough information for a judgement, which is common with the brevity of news accounts. The cop was new, with a little over a year on; was some type of newspaper photographer befor that.

On last nights local news they said the officer was employed for the past 18 months and has two violations prior to this incident. One was an auto accident with a patrol car (that apparently he caused during a chase) and the other was leaving drugs on the seat of his patrol car after a drug bust.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I can buy the entire story because of a semi-related incident that happened to me a few years back. The end result was my hiring an attorney and fighting it all the way until the officer was "removed from duty". He now works in a warehouse driving a forklift. Got what he deserved. Police arrived at our apt. complex on a call that had absolutely nothing to do with me or my family and clearly mistook me for the BG.....even though I'm covered in tattoo's I was standing there with my pregnant wife and oldest daughter talking to another couple that were friends of ours. Nothing out of he ordinary. Cop runs up to us taser drawn points directly at my wife (who just happened to be angled between the cop and myself) and orders me to the ground. I take my wife by the arm and move her behind me and tell super cop not to aim his taser at my wife, she's 8 months pregnant. I then ask him what the problem is. All the while other neighbors are yelling the direction the actual BG ran in. You immediately see the "Oh crap, I screwed up" look on his face. He looks down at me still holding my wifes wrist....holsters his taser...yanks out his cuffs...yells "domestic violence!" at the top of his lungs and tries to jump on me and push me to the ground lol (I can laugh about this now...wasnt funny at the time).

This relates directly to the cop yelling "mad dog!" ...apparently overreacting....severely.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think Slobodan needs to be educated on the difference between an angry dog and a mad dog.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Some people should not be police officers.

I had to put my beloved doberman down over the weekend after ten faithful years of companionship. I can not imagin losing two dogs at the same time in such a violent manner. I have been in law-enforcement since 1968 and the things I hear of officers doing in regards to dealing with dogs were unheard of up until the last decade or so. I was attacked by a doberman back in the 1970's when I entered his fenced yard legally on police business. I struck him once with my nightstick, broke his jaw and that ended the attack. The dog was taken to a vet for treatment and survived. There were no charges placed on the owner because I believed the dog was just protecting his property. I am a firm believer that the firearm has it's place in law-enforcement but it seems like there are far to many officers using it in situations where there are other alternatives that are non-lethal when dealing with large breed dogs being dogs. The incident in Maryland at the dog park is a prime example, and this incident if occurring as described by the dogs owner is another.
    Last edited by Old School; September 14th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't care what kind of badge you carry....if you shoot my dog Dusti when she is at my home or under my control (on a leash or in my truck is sufficient per animal control laws) there WILL be hell to pay.

How come the officer didn't shoot the OFF LEASH dog???
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

How come the officer didn't shoot the OFF LEASH dog???
    Lets see, he shoots the Rott and the Chesapeake Bay retriever, both dark colored dogs, and lets the blond colored dog go free.
    Where is Rev Wright when ya need him.

Michael

I was curious about the same thing, it says he shot the two leashed and not the unleashed so heres my question why not shoot the unleashed one only. For all he knows the guy who was walking was walking his two leashed dogs and a wild dog attacked them. so common sense would of been the unleashed dog since the two leashed would be classified as "domesticated" wouldnt it?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    common sense would of been the unleashed dog since the two leashed would be classified as "domesticated" wouldnt it?
    That is one thing the Officer Does not have, If the story is correct
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    I can buy the entire story because of a semi-related incident that happened to me a few years back. The end result was my hiring an attorney and fighting it all the way until the officer was "removed from duty". He now works in a warehouse driving a forklift. Got what he deserved. Police arrived at our apt. complex on a call that had absolutely nothing to do with me or my family and clearly mistook me for the BG.....even though I'm covered in tattoo's I was standing there with my pregnant wife and oldest daughter talking to another couple that were friends of ours. Nothing out of he ordinary. Cop runs up to us taser drawn points directly at my wife (who just happened to be angled between the cop and myself) and orders me to the ground. I take my wife by the arm and move her behind me and tell super cop not to aim his taser at my wife, she's 8 months pregnant. I then ask him what the problem is. All the while other neighbors are yelling the direction the actual BG ran in. You immediately see the "Oh crap, I screwed up" look on his face. He looks down at me still holding my wifes wrist....holsters his taser...yanks out his cuffs...yells "domestic violence!" at the top of his lungs and tries to jump on me and push me to the ground lol (I can laugh about this now...wasnt funny at the time).

This relates directly to the cop yelling "mad dog!" ...apparently overreacting....severely.
    Question form my law school roommate not me. “how much did you and your lawyer scalp them for?”.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links