Boy shot, police say gun was stolen

This is a discussion on Boy shot, police say gun was stolen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lock your guns up that aren't being carried/kept on your body or in hand. Not just as toward potential of children who may live with ...

Thread: Boy shot, police say gun was stolen

Lock your guns up that aren't being carried/kept on your body or in hand.

Not just as toward potential of children who may live with you or come to visit, but also as when you leave your home (and everyone does that!) potential toward burglary only to have some moron steal your gun (loaded!) and then run down the street to wind up doing your neighbor....Being me or any of us here, and our kids!

Updated: Tuesday, 31 Aug 2010, 1:44 PM CDT
    Published : Monday, 30 Aug 2010, 12:39 PM CDT

* Renee Dials
    * Photojournalist: Guy Turnbow

PRICHARD, Alabama (WALA) - Prichard police say an accidental shooting has been linked to a crime in Mobile.

The call to 911 around 8 p.m. Saturday was for a possible home invasion in Prichard.

When police got to the 300 block of Fairport Drive, they found a 12-year-old and his 15-year-old cousin home alone. One of them had been shot.

"He had what appeared to be a small hole on the left side of his face, as well as blood," city spokesperson Latoya Veal said.

Veal said the boys told police they didn't know the shooter.

"That a subject had came through the back door of the residence and had shot the 12-year-old the left side of his face," Veal said.

But when detectives found the shell casing in a different area of the house than the boys had said the shooting happened, they knew they weren't dealing with a home invasion.

Then came the confession.

"It was determined that it was an accidental shooting and that the other 12-year-old had shot his 12-year-old cousin in the face," explained Veal.

The injured 12-year-old was taken to the hospital with a non life-threatening injury. He was treated and released the same night.

But police made another startling discovery when they ran a check on the 9 millimeter automatic handgun confiscated from the juveniles.

"We can tell you that it was a handgun, and the handgun was stolen," Veal said.

The weapon was stolen from someone in Mobile in September of 2006. Now, police want to know how it ended up in the hands of the two.

Police say once they get some answers, charges may be filed in the case.

The full story can be found at http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/loca...ith-stolen-gun
    This stuff really pisses me off, as it should not be happening and is pretty darn easy to prevent!

Every gun/hunting related class or course I teach I bring with me a box of Project Childsafe cable locks and I distribute them first to parents upon giving them a request/speech to act like they care rather than act as a moron.

- Janq

P.S. - Yes if the two kids had been taught gun safety then _maybe_ one might not have shot the other. MAYBE.
    Still though at the end of the day a kid got shot by a stolen gun with a magazine and ammo in it...That I'd bet dollars to donuts was kept loaded in some easy to locate drawer at some other persons house as rather than having been stored securely.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

So what pisses you off? The fact that someone stole a firearm from a law abiding citizen who reported it? Do you know if the weapon was locked up or not? What were the circumstances of the theft? Was it in a locked home or room? A locked safe? Was it left out? Pretty easy to prevent huh? Do you have 24/7 armed security guarding your weapons? Because crime happens every day, gun safes are stolen all the time. Doors are kicked in, alarms are defeated, windows broken, places ransacked..... even gun shops get burglarized. You can't bet angry at it, it will eat you away inside.

Sponsored Links