Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun window and door struck, no one injured

This is a discussion on Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun window and door struck, no one injured within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by Delaware Online: Delaware crime: Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun Window and door struck, no one injured By TERRI SANGINITI • ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun window and door struck, no one injured

Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun window and door struck, no one injured

As reported by Delaware Online:
    Delaware crime: Seaford boy, 3, blasts firehouse with shotgun
    Window and door struck, no one injured

By TERRI SANGINITI • The News Journal • August 27, 2010

A 3-year-old Seaford boy grabbed a shotgun from a closet Wednesday, walked out on his porch and fired at a firehouse across the street, hitting a garage window and a roll-up door, police said.

Though no one required medical treatment, the boy suffered two minor cuts to his left index finger.

"He could have killed himself, anybody walking by and if anybody was in the firehouse, it could have killed them," said Seaford Police Capt. Gary Flood. "It's unbelievable."

The child's mother, 18-year-old Christy A. Smullen, was charged with reckless endangering and five other offenses while the boy was placed in his father's custody, said Lt. Richard Jamison, a police spokesman.

The shot was fired about 2:10 p.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of N. Cannon St. and struck the Seaford Volunteer Fire Company at 302 E. King St., which is on a corner across from the boy's home.

Officers were called after a firefighter reported the building was being fired on. They said the boy apparently took a .410-gauge shotgun and loaded it with several rounds of .38-caliber ammunition.

"This young child picked up the shotgun, shoved some bullets in it and was able to fire," said Ron Marvel, the fire company's spokesman. "When he did, one of the bullets went through the door and one went through the window."
    The full story can be found at http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...351/-1/RSS1205

- ProjectChildSafe.org
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Wow... Number one, someone needs to get in trouble for him being able to access firearms and ammunition.

Number two, he managed to get .38 rounds to fire in a .410???
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Mother = 18
    Child = 3

FAIL

The mother (18 yrs. old) has been charged as being negligent, I'd excised that part from the article just to focus on the meat.
    To the latter it's just a matter of fitting the round into the chamber (likely a break action shotgun) and from there it's hammer hitting the primer results.

At another thread here form several months ago multiple people didn't know that shotguns have a hammer and firing pin, just like rifles and handguns....As though they fire by way of magic (?).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yeah, I'd noticed the ages there. And I hadn't thought about a break-action .410, I was thinking pump. I guess it's because mine is a pump so that's what I'm used to.

Crazy, just a crazy situation.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Lots of "fail" in this story.

Paaiyan,

I'd thought of break action immediately because when I instruct a basic hunter ed. course we have a component/chapter that focuses on firearm mis-handling (which I typically am assigned to teach) and there we show how mis-loading of wrong ammo is pretty easy to do AND can result in the shell (or this case round) firing even as it might be wrong.
    I even go so far as to demo this directly using dummy shells, a 12 gauge gun (any action) and 16 gauge ammo....Along with a wooden dowel to remove the stuck in the breech will not extract shell after it's been loaded.
    Even still it could be a slide/pump action or even auto loading shotty too. Just takes the handler manually loading the chamber.

My demo usually catches folks attention.
    A grown man could easily mistake one for the other in hand (which is the intent of the lesson to not store ammo mixed), but also a child very likely wouldn't know any better as in a case like this.
    One of the reasons folk including the NRA advocate securing stored ammo too, as separate from ones arms.

- Janq

so she was pregnant at 14? ***?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    is that a big surprise today?

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    is that a big surprise today?
    Nope, not really.

And Janq, I got it now that I think about it. I just don't have any experience with break-breaches so it wasn't the first thing to pop into my head. Makes sense though.
    My blog

I don't know much about shotguns or rifles, but what stuck out to me was all the steps the lad took to pull this off. He found the gun, loaded the gun, carried it to the front porch, aimed, and fired. For 3 years old, he is smart and strong.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    so she was pregnant at 14? ***?
    Yep! There's a message in there somewhere, eh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can quit hunting for the hard to find 410 shells and use up all my old 38 special ammo.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I can quit hunting for the hard to find 410 shells and use up all my old 38 special ammo.
    With seriousness though, folks have been down converting their shotguns for generations.

http://store.dinaarms.com
    http://shotgunadapter.com/products.htm
    http://www.gaugemate.com

- Janq

Reducers for different weapons have for a long time been items of interest in the survival community, dating back to Mel Tappan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links