'Springfield man arrested in Amherst break-in' and ''Break-ins continue in Amherst'

'Springfield man arrested in Amherst break-in' and ''Break-ins continue in Amherst'

This is a discussion on 'Springfield man arrested in Amherst break-in' and ''Break-ins continue in Amherst' within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Preface: This is literally my current backyard. My inlaws and wife are from Amherst and I do a lot of work and travel there. I ...

Thread: 'Springfield man arrested in Amherst break-in' and ''Break-ins continue in Amherst'

Preface:
    This is literally my current backyard.
    My inlaws and wife are from Amherst and I do a lot of work and travel there.
    I was contacted by the APD last week to alert my own circles of this planned meeting. I know the current and past chiefs directly as well as the officers detailed in the first report.

The street detailed in the second report I also know directly and personally.

This is another small college town in the country where very many people regularly think no crime occurs and is not possible because well ehh it's Amherst!
    Not true. People very commonly leave their doors open & unlocked as well as their cars with wallets and purses in them at their home and as parked on the street too.
    To my view that makes no sense, but that's my city raised view.

Anywhere, anytime, anyplace.
    Contrary to the "nothing ever happens around here" view and statements folk commented to me when I first moved to this area.
    It's pretty safe all things being relative, but there is no such place as a crime and criminality free bubble.

~~~
    Break-ins continue in Amherst
    By NICK GRABBE and SCOTT MERZBACH
    Staff Writers

Monday, September 13, 2010

AMHERST — Three more break-ins have been reported by South Amherst residents, bringing the total to about 32 since the beginning of July.

The incidents prompted police to hold a community meeting Monday night at Crocker Farm School to advise residents on precautions to take. More than 200 people attended the meeting.

The most recent reports were of break-ins early Friday on Shays Street. In the first, an unlocked home was entered and a purse was stolen, while in the other a backpack was taken from an unlocked vehicle.

In the third incident, on Mount Holyoke Drive, a briefcase was stolen from the unlocked home.

Most of the home invasions have taken place late at night, and the burglar has entered houses mostly through unlocked doors and windows, said Officer William Laramee at Monday’s neighborhood meeting. Chief Scott Livingstone and nine officers attended.

None of the homeowners has had direct contact with the burglar, and no one has been hurt, Laramee said. Items stolen have included laptop computers, purses and cellphones, he said. Some purses have been found in yards with cash removed from them, he said...

The full story can be found at http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/09/14...ntinue-amherst
    Springfield man arrested in Amherst break-in
    By THE DAILY HAMPSHIRE GAZETTE
    Staff Writer

AMHERST - A man who police say broke into a Sunset Avenue home Wednesday night and stole several items was arrested a short time later on the University of Massachusetts campus

Michael Gibbs, 23, of Springfield, was arrested on Lincoln Avenue at 10:32 p.m. on charges of entering a dwelling at night to commit a felony, larceny from a building and providing a false name to police and on an outstanding warrant from Springfield District Court, police said.

Police Detective David Foster said police took a call from the resident of the home that a man had gotten inside the house and fled with several items.

University of Massachusetts police located Gibbs as a passenger in a vehicle stopped a short distance away and, using the description of the intruder provided, held him until Amherst police got to the scene.

Meanwhile, the driver of the vehicle was arrested by UMass police after officers determined there was a warrant for his arrest and a silver-and-black handgun, as well as 100 rounds of ammunition, were found in the trunk of the vehicle, said UMass Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archbald.

Samuel Alan O'Quinn, 23, of Springfield, was arrested on charges of carrying a dangerous weapon on school grounds, carrying a firearm without a license, receiving a firearm with a defaced serial number and possession of a firearm without an FID card and on an outstanding warrant, police said...

The full story can be found at http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/09/10...-amherst-break
    - Janq

Also in my local news:
    Worcester man in critical condition after bat fight in Amherst
    http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/09/14...-fight-amherst

Amherst police investigate gunshots at apartment complex fight; nobody injured in incident
    http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/09/15...lex-fight-nobo
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

When I read "Amherst" I stopped and read the entire article slowly and carefully.
    "Amherst" -- or at least an Amherst -- is not ten miles from where I write this: the grindstone capital of Ohio.
    Likewise, Springfield, Ohio, where my best friend taught youth firearms ... it's quite conceivable a crook from one part of the state was preying on another part of the state.
    I see I was mistaken: wrong state: but it still illustrates that evil can arrive at our door unannounced at any hour of the day or night.
    Thank you, Janq. Well posted, sir!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

SkyPilot,

As a bit of local flavor a couple who are associates of mine did a piece last year on the many locations of 'Amherst' in the US.
    They visited every Amherst town across our nation and found there are in fact sixteen Amherst's.

The town I speak of was named after, but not founded by, Lord Jeffrey Amherst....The guy from American history who came up with the idea of using biological warfare as against native peoples in the form of providing them Trojan Horse style blankets infested with smallpox.
    Colonial Germ Warfare
    by Harold B. Gill Jr.
    "Could it not be contrived to Send the Small Pox among those Disaffected Tribes of Indians? We must, on this occasion, Use Every Stratagem in our power to Reduce them." He ordered the extirpation of the Indians and said no prisoners should be taken. About a week later, he wrote to Bouquet: "You will Do well to try to Innoculate the Indians by means of Blanketts as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race."
    Source - http://www.history.org/foundation/jo...04/warfare.cfm
    Now in the center of town stands significantly private school Amherst College, along with Univ. of MA, Amherst a mile east (the heart of the MA state school program) as well as very new private school Hampshire College being to it's west...All three located within the Amherst, MA town footprint.

http://www.amherstma.gov

You can learn more about the study of all the Amherst towns here...
    Amherst Insider: 11 Amhersts down and five to go for the Tuthills
    By NOAH HOFFENBERG
    Published on August 07, 2009
    http://www.amherstbulletin.com/story/id/153373/
    Note: The Tuthills of Amherst, MA are friends of mine and my family.

Amherst, MA is a bit of a kooky college town that tends to dance to it's own beat.

While Springfield, I was there yesterday, is an easy 20 to 30m drive away depending on whether you take the highway or rural back roads.

Talking to my wife about this just moments ago (she grew up here first grade through UMass college) she noted that it seems times may have changed (!).
    She and many others here including those still living in the way long time ago past have not yet accepted that the Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry R.F.D. were canceled.

- Buck Rogers ; )
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links