Good-Pompano Beach, FL road rage shooting

This is a discussion on Good-Pompano Beach, FL road rage shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looks like he is going to walk away without charges. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,3034184.story...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good-Pompano Beach, FL road rage shooting

Good-Pompano Beach, FL road rage shooting

Looks like he is going to walk away without charges.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,3034184.story

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Moral of this story - don't try to enter someone else's occupied vehicle in Florida.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Notice how the reporter took the side of aggressor? The writer also showed his disdain for the law by mentioning the NRA. Sometimes I think the media is biased against us.

"That Murdock was allowed to go home after the fatal shooting left many who knew Lavoie dumbfounded."

They should have been dumbfounded that Lavoie was the attacker and would try to enter someone's car with the intent of doing bodily harm, but he won't be able to do that anymore.
    I guess he's not as tough as he thought he was...I have no problem with what Murdock did to defend against such a threat.
    Thankfully, FL has the laws to protect potential victims.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    Notice how the reporter took the side of aggressor? The writer also showed his disdain for the law by mentioning the NRA. Sometimes I think the media is biased against us.
    Tht was not a reporter but the PIO for the sheriff's office. Her function is to report to the public the facts of the investigation not to inject her personal views.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    The attitude of some in authority scares me, (in bold)
    Taken from article:
    Prosecutors everywhere have rallied against the "Stand Your Ground" law, saying it might be misinterpreted by citizens who think they have the right to use deadly force, and that it could be manipulated by those with itchy trigger fingers.

William Cervone, president of Florida's Prosecuting Attorneys Association, said the law often leaves people settling cases on the streets instead of in a courtroom. Also, he said, it provides a shooter the opportunity to make up a story without the victim's side of what happened.

"In general, it has the potential of leaving victims and their survivors without their day in court," said Cervone. "The last person standing has the ability to say the magic words 'I was in fear' and walk away without a jury being able to decide."

I could see their side , but only in the case of being in a dark alley and its just you and the perp.

In this case, witnesses most likely corroborated the shooters story, (dumbell reaching, and acting in a threatening manner), I just cannot buy into their bleeting heart liberal mentality.

Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The DA's and others don't like Stand Your Ground because - as they say - they can't tell who the good guy is. Normally, the bad person shoots the good person, 8 minutes later the cops show up, and the "good person" is readily identifiable by the maroon streaks near the body.

However, when the good guy survives ... that really throws off their investigative powers. Your survival poses a problem to them. And, they speak against this problem as often as they can.

The criminal and leftist DA's have this in common: neither care if I live or die. The criminal thinks what I have rightfully belongs to him and state thinks what I have belongs to them also. Both publicly express disappointment if I survive an attack, both feel it's not the norm and it's not right.

It just goes to show ... if you don't care about your own safety, nobody else will either.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Tht was not a reporter but the PIO for the sheriff's office. Her function is to report to the public the facts of the investigation not to inject her personal views.
    I saw nothing attributed to a PIO, other than that their investigation determined that it was self defense and that the case would be forwarded to the prosecutors office.

Sounds to me like a good shoot. I suppose the "reporter" might think he should have waited until the attacker beat him almost to death before attempting to defend himself.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Too bad representatives of the media aren't victims of crime. I think they would start reporting from a whole different perspective. IMO anytime someone forcibly enters your vehicle it's the same as if they forcibly entered your home. Just last night on Dateline there was a story of an individual who was accosted in a carjacking. He didn't have a gun and was later found shot dead in an abandoned house.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

That story was so unbelievably against the victim that it was ridiculous. Just dripping with anti-self defense sentiment.

good. One invader dead.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

On the downside, Murdock has to live with the knowledge that he killed an unarmed man. Lavoie doesn't look that intimidating in the photo and I think one should have sufficient physical skills to be able to manage a guy like that.

Anyway, Murdock could have locked his car door. If Lavoie started banging on the window, he could have been shown the firearm as a clear warning. My sense here is that this was a legally permissible shoot, but not a wise one. It was technically within the law (although there may still be charges), but I wouldn't call it a "righteous shoot."

This was a "sad shoot." Nobody should lose their life over a driving dispute. That's such a stupid and senseless thing to have a life culminate in. Y'all can do what you want, but I personally train hard so that I can manage physical confrontations with appropriateness of force. Some clown wants to charge up to my car, I reserve the right to get out and kick his booty, or swing my door out at the right moment and thwack him, or just drive away.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

What if there had been no witnesses to the event other than the girl friend of Lavoie? She would have sided with Lavoie and Murdock would now be sitting in jail awaiting trial for murder. Even tho Lavoie wasn't armed with anything but a cigarette lighter, Murdock may not have known this. They did not say what kind of cigarette lighter it was. If it was a zippo and he just caught a gleam of light off of it, he could have thought it was a gun or knife. Murdock may not have been able to just drive off.

The perp (Lavoie) approached Murdock's vehicle with intent on doing him physical harm. Regardless of his size (even small men can dish out a good A** whooping), Murdock said he just came from his doctor and was not feeling well. He may not have had the strength to defend himself physically against Lavoie.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

"Reached on his cell phone Thursday, Murdock, who lives in West Palm Beach, would say only that he had just left his doctor's office and he wasn't feeling well."

I think the statement could be taken either way. That he had just left his doctor's office on the day of the encounter, or he just left his doctor's office on the day (Thursday) that he was contacted. It is definitely not clear as to its meaning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links