New murder defense: Caffeine Insanity

This is a discussion on New murder defense: Caffeine Insanity within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The “Twinkie Defense” did not work for Dan White now there is someone who claims caffeine made him do it. NEWPORT, Ky. (AP) — A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

The “Twinkie Defense” did not work for Dan White now there is someone who claims caffeine made him do it.

NEWPORT, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky man accused of strangling his wife is poised to claim excessive caffeine from sodas, energy drinks and diet pills left him so mentally unstable he couldn't have knowingly killed his wife, his lawyer has notified a court.
    http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...8-ccdd4aff58ce
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

LOL, i've heard this defense before!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    here is the Washington story they refer to:

http://www.krem.com/news/All-charges...-92914924.html

Noble claimed he suffered from "caffeine psychosis" at the time of the crash, causing him to drive and act erratically.
    Wednesday, a Whitman County judge dropped all charges against Noble by reason of insanity. The judge ruled Noble will not have to reside at a state mental institution, but will have to be committed to a community-based institution.
    I can't understand why they believed this poop!

If you get drunk and kill your wife or drunk drive then hit and run, do you get off easy because it was not your fault? "The alcohol impaired my judgment, it is not my fault!"
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

As I read this article online while sipping my 3rd cup of coffe this morning, I wonder where all the reasons why a person is not a common killer used for their defense will end.

My coffee consumption was not making me contemplate killing my wife either.

Whatever happend to personal accountability for actions taken?

Agreed that some chemical substances have a very bad effect on the emotions of humans, but please, caffeine?

Just more ammo for a lower class of lawyers to use to defend some POS who probably did exactly what they did while completely competent.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I do not care if it is caffeine, coke, meth or a mix of your prescriptions. if you did the crime, then you should do the time.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    As I read this article online while sipping my 3rd cup of coffe this morning, I wonder where all the reasons why a person is not a common killer used for their defense will end.

My coffee consumption was not making me contemplate killing my wife either.

Whatever happend to personal accountability for actions taken?

Agreed that some chemical substances have a very bad effect on the emotions of humans, but please, caffeine?

Just more ammo for a lower class of lawyers to use to defend some POS who probably did exactly what they did while completely competent.
    Actually I have personally seen folks so hopped up on "Energy" drinks that you would think they had been playing with pixie dust. That of course DOES NOT excuse the fact that he strangled his wife.

I once worked in a place that was a 24x7 shop and we were short staffed for a while and those of us left certainly weren't going to complain about cash from the OT hours. Problem is, you can only run a 24x7 shop on 4-5 people for so long without ill effects. We were all popping "energy" drinks and anything with caffeine and sugar all day long so we could keep going for 18-20 hours or more back to back every day. Sometimes we never even bothered to go home for days at a time.

I look back at those days now and think..."WTH were we thinking!". Most of us would go and drive home after said shifts. We were WORSE than Drunk drivers. The combination of sleep deprivation with oddly mixed stimulants throughout the days was a recipe for disaster.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Laughable is the fact that so many attempt to get such babble taken as a justification or a defense for predatory criminal behaviors.

Pitiful is the fact that so many judges and juries buy it.

Noble claimed he suffered from "caffeine psychosis" at the time of the crash, causing him to drive and act erratically.
    Peachy. He's still responsible for his actions, no matter what he had for breakfast.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I drink four litres of Cherry Pepsi a day and I haven't killed anyone lately or crashed my car.

If somebody consumed that much caffeine,I'm sure there are warnings on the Red Bull and other energy drinks about excess consumption,why is he any different than the guy taking prescription medicine that takes more than prescribed and then gets behind the wheel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    If someone acted differently under the influence of any drug/stimulant/whatever, aren't they the one who voluntarily took the substance anyway? How is he not liable for consuming said products that "affected his judgement"? Unless someone strapped them down,and forced drugs/etc into their system, their still 100% liable for taking the stuff. There is warning lables a-plenty on high caffeine content products.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Nice try by a desperate ambulance chaser. However if caffiene caused insanity, anyone drinking Coffee, Tea or Soda would probably go nuts. The country would look like a scene out of "28 Weeks Later".
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I look back at those days now and think..."WTH were we thinking!". Most of us would go and drive home after said shifts. We were WORSE than Drunk drivers. The combination of sleep deprivation with oddly mixed stimulants throughout the days was a recipe for disaster.
    I know what you mean. Once after one of those night shifts I stopped in the feed store before I went home. Somehow I managed to run over the cart corral that I had parked BESIDE. I honestly cannot explain how it happened. Another time after I got off work I tried to buy gas but couldn't figure out how to operate the pumps because I missed the blatent "prepay" sign.....
    Lack of sleep, even without drugs, is pretty bad!

Since most of the country lives on caffeine day-to-day without doing anything too crazy, I really don't see how you could convince the jury that the caffeine made him do it. At least I hope not.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I think it was Shakespear that said it best. "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers", well that might be a start. I wonder if we could successfully use that defense. Hopefully demonstrating absurdity by being absurd.

Caffeine is evil, it kills people. We should ban caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Caffeine is evil, it kills people. We should ban caffeine.
    As stupid as it obviously is, that essentially is the crux of the defense used by the idiot and his attorney. In 10,000 years, some wandering archeologist is going to stumble across court records indicating the some element of the nature of logical thought in the 21st Century on planet Earth. It simply won't be believed that sentient animals could be so mind-rendingly stupid as to think in that way. But it's the absolute, pitiful truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links