Pastor/business owner killed by LE while investigating suspicious vehicle

This is a discussion on Pastor/business owner killed by LE while investigating suspicious vehicle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pastor/(plant) nursery owner killed by police while investigating suspicious car. Spokane Police spokesperson Officer Jennifer DeRuwe says the officer was parked in the Plant Farm ...

Thread: Pastor/business owner killed by LE while investigating suspicious vehicle

Pastor/business owner killed by LE while investigating suspicious vehicle

Pastor/(plant) nursery owner killed by police while investigating suspicious car.

Spokane Police spokesperson Officer Jennifer DeRuwe says the officer was parked in the Plant Farm parking lot in an unmarked patrol car watching for criminal activity when Creach approached the officer. According to Creach's son Alan his father armed himself before going into the parking lot because he thought he heard a burglar.

“At some point there was a confrontation between [Creach] and the police officer and the officer fired his duty weapon,” DeRuwe said.
    http://www.kxly.com/spokanenews/24766530/detail.html

All kinds of things wrong with this scenario. Mr. Creach should have called LE and just watched. Terrible situation for all.

More news: http://www.kxly.com/news/24809658/detail.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

I too think he should have stayed inside and called the police. Why couldn't the police notify the business owner to the fact that they were concerned about crimininal activity in the area and would place in an officer in the lot in an unmarked vehicle? This would have possibly given the owner a peace of mind when he heard the noises.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Its been all over local tv. Here's a bunch more on it.

http://www.krem.com/results?search=s...earchbutton=Go

Tragic.
    Unfortunately that is a risk we all take if we choose to confront the unknown.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Was the officer also in plainsclothes?

No, in uniform. Apparently on orders from the officer to drop his gun the decedant, instead placed it in his waistband, behind his back and things went downhill from there. Brings to mind a recent thread.

Just on tv. Released dispatch tapes show the officer called for medical assistance for the victim immediately after the incident. This had been a point of contention on the part of the decedent's family.

Let's not blame the victim for investigating what he thought was a burglar and went armed. An unmarked car and plain clothes LEO has to remember, he's armed..... but appears like anyone else on the street .... so he can be seen as a 'threat' to a law-abiding citizen. The LEO has to use some due diligence there.

What I find questionable is, did the officer identify himself and show his badge at any time ? Due to the timing, it's unlikely he did. He was confronted as a potential burglar, and a potential threat to the man's family and himself.......

I guess my question is, did he take the approach with the owner that he was armed and a threat, when he was not likely to be a threat if the officer had ID'd himself as being the police .... appropriately.

My bet, officer made the mistake by taking the gun as a personal threat and pulled his gun in response, and instead of ID'ing himself was telling the owner to put his gun down.... Owner thinks it's him against BG with gun. How could the owner know he was NOT a BG ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

According to reports, the officer was in uniform.

ETA: In fact, IIRC, he drew his baton and struck the decedent prior to firing.

It sounds to me like the decedent is more to blame than the Officer.

The Officer is in uniform, lawfully in a place he is allowed to be, and in the performance of his duties. It's tragic but dead is dead and this has, from what little I've seen, all the ear-marks of a good shoot. "Drop It" doesn't mean think about it, dawdle over the conundrum, or vacillate on the solution. It means drop whatever the bleep you have in your hands at that moment.

As the decedent discovered, to do otherwise can end up with someone becoming dead.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No, in uniform. Apparently on orders from the officer to drop his gun the decedant, instead placed it in his waistband, behind his back and things went downhill from there. Brings to mind a recent thread.
    Should have followed orders. was it a Nighthawk Custom or something?! just drop the gun....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Links