Bad: Real estate agents killed UPDATED

This is a discussion on Bad: Real estate agents killed UPDATED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As with pizza delivery drivers all real estate agents should be armed. KENT, Ohio (AP) Two real estate agents were killed in vacant homes ...

Thread: Bad: Real estate agents killed UPDATED

VIP Member

Bad: Real estate agents killed UPDATED

As with pizza delivery drivers all real estate agents should be armed.

KENT, Ohio (AP) Two real estate agents were killed in vacant homes for sale and another was robbed all within a week, prompting frightened agents in northeast Ohio to cancel open houses and avoid meeting prospective buyers alone.
    http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...7-92bba03cbbf1

A few years ago we had an agent killed while showing a house, luckily the perpetrator was caught and is now a ward of the state.
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 24th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    As with pizza delivery drivers all real estate agents should be armed.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...7-92bba03cbbf1

A few years ago we had an agent killed while showing a house, luckily the perpetrator was caught and is now a ward of the state.
    maybe my dad should carry...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Absolutely!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Sheep will always get slaughtered but wolves will always limp home to lick their wounds and fight another fight.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Agreed msgt.

We had a thread here about just this several years ago.
    Rapes of real estate agents as well as attempted rapes, assaults and robbery are common for that industry as akin to pizza drivers a taxi operators...But interestingly they in specific rarely get notable press.

I mean seriously all one has to do is think about the normality of their profession.
    Sitting alone in large empty boxes with multiple rooms...With no one but a random stranger or three (criminals have worked in groups including having a female on board).
    As well they taxi around these same stranger people in their cars to disparate locations being alone on their own or even outnumbered 2 or more to 1.

Seriously for this profession carry, as _on body_ rather than in purses and briefcases, should be a no brainer...Just as it is for pizza drivers and taxi operators.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The man who unknowingly convinced me to carry all the time was a real estate broker. This guy was built like Danny DeVito, and surprised me when he pulled out a full-size 1911 from complete concealment to have me check out the trigger on his gun. He told me that in his job he ran into all sorts of people in all sorts of environments (he did commercial/industrial real estate as well as residential), and he just wasn't going to be unprepared.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That's a job I'd have to be carrying to do...lol.

Administrator
    Here is an update to this story;

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/2...another-robbed

Apparently another one was killed and another was robbed for a total of 3 victims.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I became a realtor I got my CHP. I will never do an open house without being armed! I avoid meeting unkown clients in homes until after I have met with them at my office. If someone is not willing to meet me at my office, then they must not be a serious buyer and all they are going to do is waste my time. There are way too many incidents of realtors being assaulted and I choose to not be a victim.

However, I don't let anyone know around me that I am carrying. I pocket carry an LCP because being found out could mean the loss of a commission, and get you a "scary" reputation as a "gun nut." You never know who will approve or disapprove of carrying a firearm. None of my clients have ever known nor do my co-workers. If they want to be sheep, best of luck to them. I however will not be a victim because I came unprepared.

CONCEALED means CONCEALED!
    Last edited by rammerjammer; September 24th, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional thought

:golf claps: ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have a relavent personal story to share. I'm a Realtor....and I'm armed...always.

Nothing bad happened, but it helped to put things into perspective for me. So for you other brokers out there....I've heard it too many times that one does not need to be armed in my little ski town. True...it's a relatively safe place, but you never know.

I had a scruffy looking guy walk into my office last winter accompanied by a younger 20 something fellow. They literally walked INTO my little office and essentially had me cornered. These guys looked like they had no business being together. You never judge a book by it's cover, the worst dressed guy on the mountain usually has the most money. So I proceed to chat with them. They wanted to see a VACANT condo in the next 5 minutes. Typically my clients will take a few hours to a few months before deciding which to go see. They just wanted to see something right now. So we located a nearby property with the features and price point AND is vacant, we go over there. They walk all over this condo asking me questions, 50% of which have nothing to do with the subject property or market conditions. I stayed near the door the entire time, unbuttoned my cardigan to be able to draw if needed. They've seen enough and we head back to my office.

Well.....to my surprise the guy wants to write and all cash offer. So as we are writing this contract and chit-chatting I find out that he had just picked his son up from a high dollar celebrity rehab center here in UT (was there for heroin addiction). Not only that but he shared that he (the father) is a recovering 23 year crack addict....not recovered for 23 yrs...addicted for 23 yrs. OH BOY! I don't want to judge him based on that ....but generally one might be a little leery of taking two addicts to a vacant luxury property on a whim. It really reinforced for me that you never know who your dealing with and one should be armed at all times. For me....this is a crazy set of circumstances given where I live and the type of clients who vacation here. I don't care where you live...anyone anytime anywhere.

Sorry to let you down if you were waiting for some sort of climax. BTW....he closed that deal with cash and has become one of my more unique clients. I really am glad he came in and certainly don't hold his past against him.

Realtors should all be armed.

There was recently a show, "I Shouldn't Be Alive" (I think that was it) that there was a woman realtor that something DID happen and she was pretty much left for dead. Every time I hear or watch a story like this I wonder, why? Why were they not packing? I'm sure it's either because they fear that they will lose their job if made, are against personal protection and are in denial, or they simply just don't think about it. I mean if you think about it, realtors are near the perfect target for these scumbags because they pick the location of the crime scene and they are usually alone. Looks like it's almost to the point that they can set up a sting in NW Ohio.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is an update to this story;

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/2...another-robbed

Apparently another one was killed and another was robbed for a total of 3 victims.
    And these two dirtbags kept it all in the family.
    Paul Brooks, 27, and Robert Brooks, 25, were charged with aggravated robbery. They were being held in the Mahoning County jail and scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, Hawkins said. It wasn't immediately clear whether they had an attorney.

They don't need an attorney, just two ropes...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links