What???????

What???????

This is a discussion on What??????? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...alatoires.html A lone gunshot briefly interrupted lunch Friday afternoon at Galatoire's restaurant in the French Quarter. Times-Picayune archive The gunshot, an accidental discharge, occurred when ...

Thread: What???????

What???????

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...alatoires.html
    A lone gunshot briefly interrupted lunch Friday afternoon at Galatoire's restaurant in the French Quarter.

Times-Picayune archive
    The gunshot, an accidental discharge, occurred when a handgun concealed in a woman's purse fell to the floor in the restaurant's foyer, according to a news release from the dining institution.

When the bag hit the floor, the hgun fired, sending a bullet into a nearby wall. No one was injured.
    Once the smoke cleared, the restaurant continued serving lunch.
    The New Orleans Police Department responded to the scene, according to the restaurant. Additional details were not immediately available.
    For years I have been under the impression that most moder handguns will not go off by just being dropped on the ground/floor. Even I have dropped (accidentally) my loaded 442 without incident.

What do you think about this story?
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    That is not good. I wonder how that happened.

VIP Member
    In a purse, I am inclined to believe it was not in any type of holster or separate compartment and something hit the trigger causing a negligent discharge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Lack of holster + Likely a garbage brand gun = Drop bang

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree. Possible 2 causes. Garbage brand gun and/or no holster and garbage pressing the trigger when dropped.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I think she fumbled with it as it fell out of the purse, and in a last ditch attempt, tried to catch it, thus pressing the trigger.

Most instances of guns "going off" when dropped are due to the user attempting to catch the gun. Never catch a falling gun... just let it drop. Guns are tough. Scratches are better than an ND. However, there are some guns out there which are not drop safe. I don't think most shotguns are, for example. I'm not sure about some of the common rifles, such as many AR-15s.

It is also quite possible it was a garbage gun.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There have been reports of the Taurus PT-145 drop firing. OTOH maybe it wasn't a 'modern' weapon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be. Just think what it would be like as everyone within a 1/4 mile "makes" you all at the same time. The part I liked here is that no one was hurt of course, and "Once the smoke cleared, the restaurant continued serving lunch."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be. Just think what it would be like as everyone within a 1/4 mile "makes" you all at the same time. The part I liked here is that no one was hurt of course, and "Once the smoke cleared, the restaurant continued serving lunch."
    um, I'll take the check, please...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Administrator
    That's exactly what can happen when a tube of CHAPSTICK is resting inside the trigger guard.

Just reminds you to always use a good holster

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In a purse, I am inclined to believe it was not in any type of holster or separate compartment and something hit the trigger causing a negligent discharge.
    Agreed
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

There are a lot of old revolvers that could do this still around. I own two myself, neither are "garbage" guns both are Rugers made in the 1950's. I myself would NOT carry either as a SD weapon, but I do shoot them fairly often.

Something caught in the trigger seems the probable cause. I wonder if she'll be charged with something.
    It would be hard to have your firearm discharge and strike the wall inside a restaurant and not have something filed against you...except if you're the chief of police.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links