BAD: neighbors argue, one goes home & comes back with a gun, one dead

This is a discussion on BAD: neighbors argue, one goes home & comes back with a gun, one dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep...co/news-metro/ Sad story, 41 year old father dead. News is still sketchy, but the shooter has not been arrested pending further investigation. Sheriff cites possible ...

Thread: BAD: neighbors argue, one goes home & comes back with a gun, one dead

BAD: neighbors argue, one goes home & comes back with a gun, one dead

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep...co/news-metro/

Sad story, 41 year old father dead. News is still sketchy, but the shooter has not been arrested pending further investigation. Sheriff cites possible "stand your ground" case... which sounds unlikely, since the shooter had to go home and retrieve the weapon.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here is an update to the story, checked several others and none mention the shooter going home to retrieve a weapon.

snipped
    According to deputies, 41-year-old David James was playing basketball at the park with his 8-year-old daughter.

Meanwhile a few teenagers were skateboarding nearby. Investigators say at some point a neighbor came out of his house and engaged in a verbal altercation with the teens.

Officials say James went over to see what was happening and defended the teens.

A short time later, the neighbor pulled out a gun and the two men tussled over the weapon. In the midst of their altercation, James was shot and killed right before his daughter's eyes, according to deputies.
    http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...fatal-shooting
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That is aweful that his daughter had to witness that. That is something she will always carry with her. I hope they press charges on the shooter. To me it doesn't at all sound like a stand your ground (castle doctrine) incident. It does not sound to me like the Suspects life was in danger to warrant deadly force. Unless they left out some information, he shot the victim over an argument. Sounds like manslaughter to me.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Very unfortunate, and unnecessary.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sad. While the event may be trivial, it pays to remember that the cost of intervention may not.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Here is an update to the story, checked several others and none mention the shooter going home to retrieve a weapon.

snipped

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...fatal-shooting
    The local news (I'm in FL this week) said the guy went home to get the gun.
    May or may not be true, but that's what the news said...

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sad. While the event may be trivial, it pays to remember that the cost of intervention may not.
    Agreed, very much.

I'd planned to post today along similar lines an event that occurred to me yesterday as I was at a local to me school playground with my kids.
    A secondary father rolled up in such a manner that was inappropriate and unlawful on multiple levels.

In the end I made the choice to leave (drive away) and from the opposite end of the school parking lot I called the cops and reported dude.
    Why? Because in my minds eye and crystal ball I could and did very easily see same result occurring for me as did occur for this dad here.

As noted recently by another member here, there is a saying; "Is this the hill I want to die on."

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ther reverse is also true. "Is this something I want to kill someone over", me.

Very much agreed, too, Guantes.

- Janq

Keep your nose out of other people's arguments.
    This is a cruel world and to die over a skateboarding incident seem pretty useless to me.
    This victim had many other choices, but I'm sure his ego got the best of him...very sad.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The articles don't provide enough details on what was said, what was replied, whether there were threats, whether there was any move by anyone to harm somebody, or ultimately why the gun was pulled. About all they're reporting at this point is that there was an altercation, a gun was pulled, and the one guy got shot after a tussle over the gun. Hard to claim real culpability with that little information.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Updated: snipped from tbo.com

At 3:45 pm Sunday, James and his daughter were playing basketball when a 14-year-old asked if he could skateboard, according to an HCSO media release.

According to the release;
    Dooley saw James give permission and came out of his house armed with a firearm and told the teen he was not allowed to skateboard there.

James pointed out that there were no signs prohibiting skateboarding.
    Dooley then left his driveway, walked across Partridge Point Trail and approached James.

As Dooley walked over to him, James stepped off the edge of the basketball court and confronted him in the grass.
    Dooley showed James the handle of the firearm in his waistband and kept insisting that skateboarding was not allowed.

When Dooley realized that James was not going to tell the teen to stop skateboarding, he cursed at James and started walking away.

James called out to Dooley, asking why he was showing his gun.
    Dooley turned around, pointed the gun at James, who lunged forward to grab the weapon.

The two men struggled over the firearm, the fell to the ground and the gun went off, striking James once in the chest.

Dooley was charged with one count of manslaughter, one count of improper exhibition of a firearm and one count of openly carrying a firearm.

Glad to see the moron with the gun is being charged. Hopeully he has a VERY long time in prison to thi.k about brandishing then pulling a gun on someone in a non-life threatening situation. A man is dead because he had to play tough guy and try to keep a kid from skateboarding on a public basketball court.

Clearly he was one of the dirtbags in society that should have never had a firearm. Would be nice for karma to find him in lockup.

Links