Sucker Punched to death - Page 2

Sucker Punched to death

This is a discussion on Sucker Punched to death within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can see where some actions that result in death should be punished to a lesser degree, but this isn't one of them. It is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sucker Punched to death

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I can see where some actions that result in death should be punished to a lesser degree, but this isn't one of them. It is no excuse to think a punch to the head is not potentially lethal.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The funny thing is that if the man punched had not been knocked out but lets say only stunned, had recovered and was able to thereafter defend himself....He would be the one looking at a _murder_ charge if he had gotten the better of the initial attacker and done same, as in actual defense of himself but perceptual being by 'witnesses' to have been thought to be a part of or even an instigator among the crowd.

Punching him _back_ in the face to such a degree that he himself (initial attacker) might fall to the ground hit his head and go brain dead.

Or say he'd been one among our fraternity armed with a tool of self defense such as an edged weapon or a firearm, and said person responded with force as a manner of defense. See the incident that occurred this past summer in Philadelphia where that guy shot at and hit a guy who had punched him as they all were walking down a sidewalk after having left a club.
    The city wanted that mans head because he shot a guy...A guy who had instigated and engaged the guy first (!) toward a fight.

In a scenario like this it is difficult to win regardless, and easy to lose....Unless you think on the fly in the immediate using your mental crystal ball of real world potentiality, and immediately act to remove & distance yourself from such incidents as rather than stand among them being an 'observer' as well as potential component.

Self defense is not just about defending ones self from issue/strife as in the immediate.
    It is inclusive to and about making choices, active choices, toward your well being as thinking forward toward how a situation might devolve and from there what is the best route to minimize if not prevent fecal matter from getting all over you _if_ and once it does hit the fan. In the financial world as well as our world of gunfu this is often referred to by the term; 'Positioning'.

No blame at all to the victim here, although his own active actions as an integral component do stand to teach us all a lesson by proxy.

- Janq

"If you are going to drag me into the abyss, it will be for a situation and or cause that I determine is worthy." - BikerRN
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Just to add. The establishment where this happened isn't a gun and knife club type bar. Think more along the lines of a sports bar/ Hooters. Which just goes to prove "anytime anywhere".

+ .45 ^^

Anytime, anywhere, anyone...Any day including Sunday. : |

- http://Real.Life.com/StuffOccurs
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree with Janq about the inherent difficulties in defending yourself in a fistfight. While the victim in this case had no opportunity to defend himself, others might have the option in the future. This is why grown men should not fight. This is also why I think using deadly force to defend yourself against an (unprovoked) attack should be justified, even if the assailant is armed with nothing more than God gave him. There are some big, strong, scary, well-trained fighters out there. Why should I be forced to fight on equal footing with them if they decide to attack me in the street? It's quite possible they could beat me to death with nothing but their fists.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I agree with Janq about the inherent difficulties in defending yourself in a fistfight. While the victim in this case had no opportunity to defend himself, others might have the option in the future. This is why grown men should not fight. This is also why I think using deadly force to defend yourself against an (unprovoked) attack should be justified, even if the assailant is armed with nothing more than God gave him. There are some big, strong, scary, well-trained fighters out there. Why should I be forced to fight on equal footing with them if they decide to attack me in the street? It's quite possible they could beat me to death with nothing but their fists.
    Might take a while to search for articles on this - but I think we'd be surprised at just how often someone has been killed by just fists/hands alone.
    For God, Family and Country!

I agree, at a minimum the little freak should've got the first degree charge instead of the second, and he should have to do all 20 years of it too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

IMO, he should be looking at murder charges. 2 years is getting off way too easy.

This is why SA is important. Always be aware of your surroundings and what is going on in them.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Might take a while to search for articles on this - but I think we'd be surprised at just how often someone has been killed by just fists/hands alone.
    As I'd noted this happens a a lot.

The last story of same was posted here on August 5th.
    It took me less than 5s to find it.

BAD- A loving gesture leads to a killing
    August 5th, 2010 08:47 PM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-to-a-killing

More of same are all over YouTube people being punched/sucker punched and knocked out only to fall at odd angles into and onto hard objects. : (
    Honestly I see this sort of item in a news report seemingly every month.

In my own region a guy this past winter (local firefighter) was killed same way, punched in the face at the top of an outdoor stairway upon leaving a night club...Only to be KOd on his feet and fall all the way to the bottom of the stairway and suffer massive head injuries. He went into a coma for a few days and then brain dead.
    It was a major news event here as they sought his killer. They found him a few days to a week later. Involuntary manslaughter.

Folk gotta be careful and always consider that one punch is all that it can take for any man regardless of size, build or whatever to be knocked into permanent blackness (coma) if not made to be dead.

- Janq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links