Bad: Texas Church Shooting

This is a discussion on Bad: Texas Church Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If someone has already posted this, please disregard... Another shooting in a church. Shooting takes place in Texas Assemblies of God church Shooting takes place ...

Thread: Bad: Texas Church Shooting

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

Bad: Texas Church Shooting

If someone has already posted this, please disregard...

Another shooting in a church.

Shooting takes place in Texas Assemblies of God church

Shooting takes place in Texas AG church
    Mon, 27 Sep 2010 - 4:24 PM CST

Youth pastor Eddie Contreras was in the middle of preaching a sermon Friday night at Walnut Park Asamblea de Dios church in Garland, Texas, encouraging the high school and college and career students to be strong in their faith during times of despair.

That's when a gunman entered the church with his 2-year-old twin boys, yelling obscenities and degrading the faith of the members, accusing the group of being fake.

Josue Pablo, 20, screamed at Contreras and the 35 members for about five minutes while the youth pastor tried to calm him down.

Pablo then pulled out a gun and fired at Contreras, putting a bullet through his hand and piercing his cheek. When he waved his gun in the air a second time, the group members rushed around for cover. One of them called 911 from under a church pew.

Witnesses say Pablo then moved to the parking lot, waving the gun and shooting into the air several times. He screamed at onlookers, saying that he hated God and hated the church. As he walked away he asked, "So where is your God now?"

Church members pointed police to where Pablo was walking and he was later caught by the authorities. Officials say the handgun was recovered and Pablo was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Contreras underwent 8 hours of surgery on his cheek and neck Saturday and is stable. There is no word yet on the condition of his hand. "They are keeping him in ICU for a while longer," says Mauricio Elizondo, pastor at Walnut Park AG. "He looks great and is recovering pretty fast today he opened his eyes."

Elizondo was speaking at a leadership conference in Mexico over the weekend when a youth leader called him to inform him that his youth pastor was shot and lying on the floor of the church, wounded, and they were waiting for the ambulance.

While Contreras was being carried out of the church by paramedics, he kept asking if Pablo was okay," Elizondo says. "This speaks volumes of youth pastors who put their lives on the line every day to be a hero to our youth."

The shocked pastor canceled his itinerary for the conference and scheduled a flight home immediately.

Although the motive for the shooting was not determined, Elizondo believes it was inspired according to the Scriptures. "The faith of our church was under a spiritual attack," he says. "I believe we were attacked by the enemy because of what the church has been doing."

The church was started with just Elizondo and his family of four. Now, attendance is close to 2,000 members and growing, along with 100 small groups that meet in the city throughout the week.

Elizondo has been pastor of Walnut Park AG for the last nine years, while Contreras has been the youth pastor for six years.

"God has been so good ... blessing us with outreaches, missions, opening up churches, planting and just reaching our community," Elizondo says.

A unique aspect of the story is that Pablo's mother and sister are regular attendees of the church, according to Elizondo. His mother is a small group leader and his sister is active in youth group.

They attended service yesterday morning and members from the congregation surrounded them in prayer. Contreras' mother and Pablo's mother prayed together for reconciliation and forgiveness, and asked that the church be touched by the tragedy and resurrected with triumph.

As the lead pastor, Elizondo is stepping in and bringing the whole church together for services while Contreras recovers.

Part of Elizondo's plan for church restoration is to provide students with the support they need to deal with what happened. Last night during service, parents and pastors from other churches provided counseling for students at the altars.

"Students weren't very open at first, but then they broke down and started talking. Slowly but surely, they are getting out of it," Elizondo says.

He believes the community is counting on the church to keep their doors open during this time. Love, forgiveness and faith will play a key part in the healing process, not fear, Elizondo says.

"You never think something like this will happen at a church, inside a building that is sacred and spiritually nurtured," he says. "But we will get through this transition little by little and come out stronger than before. God has given us a wake-up call that times are changing."

Authors: Becca Dickson
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

Sad....yet inspirational how the church has come together with the shooters mother and sister.

Glad to hear the church is doing relatively well in the aftermath.

This is why I carry at church too...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

To answer Pablo's question, God is right here....

"A unique aspect of the story is that Pablo's mother and sister are regular attendees of the church, according to Elizondo. His mother is a small group leader and his sister is active in youth group.

They attended service yesterday morning and members from the congregation surrounded them in prayer. Contreras' mother and Pablo's mother prayed together for reconciliation and forgiveness, and asked that the church be touched by the tragedy and resurrected with triumph."

Having volunteered in youth ministry I have worked with some fantastic young men and some that were struggling greatly. i once had to call out a guy for flying gang colors at church when he came into out group. That was dicey. Luckily I had talked to him at length before this, and had gained enough respect that it went well. But it's a funny feeling being in Church and wondering if your getting ready to get into a brawl for calling a kid out. Youth ministry is not all playing guitar and hanging out with the "good" kids. I pray this guy recovers quickly.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Exackly the reason I carry in Church.

If he waned to see God in my Church, and started shooting our Pastor, I'd introduce him to him real quick!

I pray for this man, he's not that far from where I go to Worship.

I pray nothing like this ever happens in my Church. I really don't want to have to use my weapon in the House of My God.
    But, rather than see innocent people die over some nuts jobs anger. I will.

Like the Marine said to the Professor, "God was busy, so he sent me!"
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

The scary thing is that my girlfriend (who lives in Garland) said nothing bad ever happens in Garland. Maybe this incident will help her stop freaking out about me carrying.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

I hate this kind of thing. Especially here in Mississippi where carrying in church is prohibited by state law.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Carry in a FL church is not a problem.
    Start shooting in my church and yelling, "Where's your God now?" You will be meeting him real soon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Sad....yet inspirational how the church has come together with the shooters mother and sister.
    ^^^^^No doubt^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I was thinking!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Yup...just the reason why I carry at church!!!
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Makes the point that church security isn't just for Sunday morning.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links