BAD/GOOD -- Shooter at Univ. of Texas on 9/28/10; fires, flees then kills self

This is a discussion on BAD/GOOD -- Shooter at Univ. of Texas on 9/28/10; fires, flees then kills self within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yet another "campus" shooting, yesterday 9/28/10. This time, a guy in a ski mask fires on folks then flees to the 6th floor of a ...

Thread: BAD/GOOD -- Shooter at Univ. of Texas on 9/28/10; fires, flees then kills self

Yet another "campus" shooting, yesterday 9/28/10. This time, a guy in a ski mask fires on folks then flees to the 6th floor of a building ... where he kills himself.

Article highlighting specifics about preparations many schools (including UT) are making: click.

Information about the (deceased) shooter, a sophomore math student: click.

Video (shaky) from people on campus 25mins after the shooting: YouTube.

Quote from Tooley's parents says he was ""an excellent student who wouldn't or couldn't hurt a fly": click.

Possible second suspect being sought: video.

On Tuesday morning, a UT student in a dark suit and ski mask opened fire with an assault rifle near a campus fountain before fleeing to the sixth floor of the university library and fatally shooting himself, police said.

No one else was injured, and at least one witness said the gunman could have shot any number of people but didn't. Authorities identified the gunman as 19-year-old Colton Tooley, a sophomore math major.
    As nearly always is the case, it seems the lack of casualties was strictly under the shooter's control and had nothing to do with any preparations the campus might have done.

While I suppose divulging of some details would be detrimental to the preparations, it would be interesting to know the response times (until the "texts/messages" were sent, until the actual lock-down, until the first armed staff were on-scene and tracking the shooter).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

lost the nerve and couldn't live with himself anymore?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Finally a shooter who did it the right way, only took out himself and no innocents.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Just good to hear that no one else was hurt besides the shooter. You know, the thing that annoys me the most about this whole thing is the first couple stories I saw. They gave passing mention to the "sniper" attack in 1966 and said police killed the shooter. What they neglected to mention was that his assault was basically brought to a halt long before he was killed by police, due to students retrieving hunting rifles from their vehicles and keeping his head down.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    lost the nerve and couldn't live with himself anymore?
    And he was only a sophomore math major! He didn't even get to the courses that really make you go insane.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    And he was only a sophomore math major! He didn't even get to the courses that really make you go insane.
    He didn't get to experience the joys of Differential Calculus you mean?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Just the beginning. I wasn't a math major, but I did take the engineering math core. Not something I'd like to repeat!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This is an unfortunate event, but I think that it will be the drop that will tip the glass in terms of allowing students in Texas to carry weapons on campus. If you think about it, most massive shootings that have happened around the World have been in "Gun Free Zones" such as schools, universities, hospitals, church and such. If you have a few honest civilians with concealed weapons I guarantee that the attackers would be taken down quickly and lives would be saved.

I read in a recent article about a gun-control advocate claiming that if guns were to be carried by students on campus that this would cause a very stressful environment in the classroom for faculty members since a student could pull a gun on a teacher during an argument and shoot him and others in the class. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Ummm, that has already happened without students being able to carry guns legally on campus so what makes you think that forbidding students to carry guns on campus would change this? Any person that is mentally unstable will take a gun ANYWHERE no matter what the legislation or campus policy is. What we need is for honest people to be able to stop them if necessary."

Some people just don't get it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Just good to hear that no one else was hurt besides the shooter. You know, the thing that annoys me the most about this whole thing is the first couple stories I saw. They gave passing mention to the "sniper" attack in 1966 and said police killed the shooter. What they neglected to mention was that his assault was basically brought to a halt long before he was killed by police, due to students retrieving hunting rifles from their vehicles and keeping his head down.
    Exactly! If you watch the videos on YouTube of the 1966 shooting at UT you can see that there are civilians shooting back at the sniper and the bullets ricocheting from the clock tower. If civilians didn't pull their hunting weapons out, the death toll would've been higher than sixteen fatal victims and over two dozen wounded. Yes, the police were the ones that shot him 6 times in the chest and once with a shotgun to the head to end his life but before that it was students that kept the sniper from shooting comfortably. Way to go!!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    If you think about it, most massive shootings that have happened around the World have been in "Gun Free Zones" such as schools, universities, hospitals, church and such. If you have a few honest civilians with concealed weapons I guarantee that the attackers would be taken down quickly and lives would be saved.

Some people just don't get it.
    It really is that simple. Criminals who "snap" and desire to commit their predations on innocents will do so, come Hell or high water. It doesn't matter a damn that various laws exist about firearms, knives, assault, robbery or murder. The ONLY thing that really matters when a violent criminal comes calling is this: the degree to which the intended victim is able to withstand the attack and survive until the cavalry arrives. That's it. And the average person with little-to-no effective H2H/unarmed combat skills simply cannot hope to stop the average violent encounter without proper tools in hand to do so. Many, many people don't get that.

Weapons <> crime.
    Criminals = crime.
    Weapons in the hands of upstanding citizens = a reasonable chance at surviving attack.

Pretty darned simple.

Don't believe it? If only we could run such tests as this, to prove the insanity we've crafted for ourselves. Toss a criminal armed with a pistol or knife into a room with an unarmed average person, and then see what's what. 10x10x10, what you'll have is a damaged innocent person and a victorious predator. Do the same test with the reality flipped, in which the intended victim is instead armed, then see what the reality is. Our streets all across the country are statistics in action, in which this reality is playing out every day. Armed people have an ability to withstand violent attack to a degree that simply doesn't exist without the tools to withstand attack. And what we've got is temporarily-elected putzes who forcibly disarm upstanding citizens through criminalization and a horrific legal system almost designed to ensnare innocents who dare defend themselves. It is that simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Just the beginning. I wasn't a math major, but I did take the engineering math core. Not something I'd like to repeat!
    I was an Engineering major, math minor
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sponsored Links