Why I Live In TEXAS - Page 2

Why I Live In TEXAS

This is a discussion on Why I Live In TEXAS within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Me and the wife are so close to moving back... just waitin on a job call. Anyone heard of Carrizo Spings, Texas? I've been through ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I Live In TEXAS

Me and the wife are so close to moving back... just waitin on a job call. Anyone heard of Carrizo Spings, Texas? I've been through a few times and looks like we're gonna be livin there pretty soon.

Yep, I do love Texas justice and have attempted to implement a bit of it while serving in the fed system. What a mistake. Gotta give the bad guys a chance to say he's sorry before you enforce justice while workin for Uncle Sam. Otherwise you end up on the carpet before the man explaining why you feel that law enforcement requires physical enforcement. Anyway, enough venting.

Anyway, besides a good justice system... Amarillo has an awesome lil steak house....

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Ya'll ever pass by it.. ya gotta stop.

Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    Me and the wife are so close to moving back... just waitin on a job call. Anyone heard of Carrizo Spings, Texas? I've been through a few times and looks like we're gonna be livin there pretty soon.

Yep, I do love Texas justice and have attempted to implement a bit of it while serving in the fed system. What a mistake. Gotta give the bad guys a chance to say he's sorry before you enforce justice while workin for Uncle Sam. Otherwise you end up on the carpet before the man explaining why you feel that law enforcement requires physical enforcement. Anyway, enough venting.

Anyway, besides a good justice system... Amarillo has an awesome lil steak house....

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Ya'll ever pass by it.. ya gotta stop.

Cole
    Cole,

Come on over...we would love to have ya. Carrizo Springs is a great little town and you are ever so right about the Big Texan. I do business outside Amarillo and get to eat there quite often.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The Big Texan is nice....but there are many better steak houses around.

Cant beat Texas justice though.
    +1 for the Panhandle
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    why did it even go to a grand jury?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    the grand jury has to decide whether or not it was a justified self-defense shooting or if the person needs to be indicted for a criminal offense

...and yeah the big texan is nice, but you pay for the atmosphere rather than for better food, I prefer other steakhouses here too
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The BEST in Texas Steak

Quote Originally Posted by Cole
    Amarillo has an awesome lil steak house....

http://www.bigtexan.com/ Ya'll ever pass by it.. ya gotta stop. Cole
    We found a small chain of steak restaurants (just 3 in the whole state) called The Texas Land and Cattle Company....I think. Awesome surroundings and just the biggest and best seasoned steak (Porterhouse) I have EVER eaten! WOW!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    why did it even go to a grand jury?

AFS
    I think a district attorney's office prosecutor can make a charge without going to a grand jury. If the prosecutor doesn't have iron-clad evidence or thinks either making the charge or declining to do so would be a political gaffe, then he or she passes the buck to a grand jury.

That's exactly what happened here in the only case (of which I am aware) of a permit-holder involved in a self-defense shooting since Colorado went "shall-issue". The grand jury did not indict the shooter.
    Last edited by Anubis; July 15th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    Where you can still protect yourself, your family, and your property.
    And the Criminals can still be shot.

Jungle Work
    I like Texas too, but we can do that here in VA as well. Plus we can open carry if we want to, and we have full pre-emption.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

"I think a district attorney's office prosecutor can make a charge without going to a grand jury. If the prosecutor doesn't have iron-clad evidence or thinks either making the charge or declining to do so would be a political gaffe, then he or she passes the buck to a grand jury."

Thats absolutely correct. A grand jury indictment is only required in the Federal system on felony charges. In state courts, a prosecutor can file charges by "Information", a sheet of paper alleging charges signed by him. They can also elect not to file charges at all. Or, if the case is a political "Hot Potato", they can submit it to a Grand Jury for determination. So the question still remains. If this prosecutor is such a great guy why did he submit it to a Grand Jury at all? He could have elected to not file anything.

shooting4fun

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting4fun
    "I think a district attorney's office prosecutor can make a charge without going to a grand jury. If the prosecutor doesn't have iron-clad evidence or thinks either making the charge or declining to do so would be a political gaffe, then he or she passes the buck to a grand jury."

Thats absolutely correct. A grand jury indictment is only required in the Federal system on felony charges. In state courts, a prosecutor can file charges by "Information", a sheet of paper alleging charges signed by him. They can also elect not to file charges at all. Or, if the case is a political "Hot Potato", they can submit it to a Grand Jury for determination. So the question still remains. If this prosecutor is such a great guy why did he submit it to a Grand Jury at all? He could have elected to not file anything.

shooting4fun

That was my point. The poor shooter had to hire a lawyer and have his life turned upsidedown. This is a good DA??
    He should have just patted the shooter on the back and told him to go home, hug his wife and forget about the whole thing.
    This was a DA covering his butt.
    Here in Florida the LEO's hand you back your gun and tell you "good job" and off you go. That's assuming it was a "good" shoot.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Your statement
    A grand jury indictment is only required in the Federal system on felony charges
    is not accurate... At least not in the way most Texas Cities approach certain indictments.

I was a Grand Jury member here in Denton Co., and the DA is Required to present ALL FELONY Cases to the GJ, including those cases involving any shootings. They will also Always include cases that involve public figures and local officials (even on misdemeanor charges). They do so NOT AS A REQUIREMENT, but as a way to publically review cases that might involve any hint of (and to avoid) preferential treatment.

Texas Justice is Great!

Now, if we could just get OC pushed thru!

God Bless Texas!
    Last edited by TC-TX; July 17th, 2006 at 12:55 PM.
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Agreed AFS.

In MA where I currently reside we are not allowed to use lethal force in defense of property.
    Even if we were though I doubt I would do so considering all th baggage that comes with shooting someone even when it's completely legal, allowable and 'right'. I'll leave it to my insurance company to work out the details which is why I pay them coin as it is to that end. The costs of securing an attorney, being raked over the coals by justice, the community and/or the family of the person I shot (civil court) is just not worth any one of my cars nor even all three.
    I'd stay my behind in my house, call the cops and try to be the best witness I can be as they drive down the street in my ride. Yes I'd be pissed and feel like I lost something but either way theres going to be loss and I'd rather not lose my shirt.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links