Elderly woman shoots 12 year old in self defense (Merged)

This is a discussion on Elderly woman shoots 12 year old in self defense (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://cbs2chicago.com/local/elderly...2.1936778.html No charges to be filed...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elderly woman shoots 12 year old in self defense (Merged)

I feel sorry for the parents but if the boy was terrorizing the area. It is as much the parents fault as anyone for not controlling their child. I hope the elderly woman bounces back from a scary situation.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Well, that's what you get for bullying an elder woman who is armed and not afraid to use it. Grandma 1 - Punk Kid 0!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Tough situation. I hope the old lady comes back from this as well.

Yep I agree, the parents get their fair share of blame, control your kid and he won't get shot for acting like a fool.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

IMHO this is a tough call, even as going by the senior citizens statements 100% as reported.

As to the boys statement to family that he was just walking by _"on the street"_, my first thought then is how did this woman hit him at all?
    She's aged and with that comes inaccuracy.
    Her home even if it were fronting right up to the sidewalk/street would still be roughly 15' speaking to norms away and she if even standing directly in the window amid broken glass or at her open door would have to make a distant shot and hit on the first attempt at that...All the while being aged in the physical (muscle tremors and poorer than 20/20 vision).

I'm disinclined to believe the story of the child. It's not impossible, but is least probable.
    Still though shooting a person (age is of no regard here) I'm not convinced that was the right never mind best choice.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    IMHO this is a tough call, even as going by the senior citizens statements 100% as reported.

As to the boys statement to family that he was just walking by _"on the street"_, my first thought then is how did this woman hit him at all?
    She's aged and with that comes inaccuracy.
    Her home even if it were fronting right up to the sidewalk/street would still be roughly 15' speaking to norms away and she if even standing directly in the window amid broken glass or at her open door would have to make a distant shot and hit on the first attempt at that...All the while being aged in the physical (muscle tremors and poorer than 20/20 vision).

I'm disinclined to believe the story of the child. It's not impossible, but is least probable.
    Still though shooting a person (age is of no regard here) I'm not convinced that was the right never mind best choice.

- Janq
    Hmmm. It sort of boils down to whom the police choose to believe. I can see it both ways. Not sure this was true SD. If the boys are known little terrors in the neighborhood she should have been able to identify them to the police for the rock throwing.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Sounds like he is a punk and the parents are in denial.

Somebody should be charged as an adult – If the kid isn’t, the parents should be charged for the vandalism.
    Neither parents or kid are getting any sympathy from me.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I wish it had a happy ending. Something tells me that the little punks and their friends will be visiting her.

Sounds like his parents didn't give a rat's *** where he is, or what he does with his time. They are partly to blame here as far as I see it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Not enough details. Was she on the other side of the window? When she went to look was he or his buddy ready to throw again? Are the neighbors to believed in regards to boy's prior actions? Why haven't the police been involved prior?

Right now he is an angel, or a little thug that almost got what he deserved.

P.S. I forgot, call 911 and be a good witness.

Nothing happy about this one
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Yep I agree, the parents get their fair share of blame, control your kid and he won't get shot for acting like a fool.
    What parents?

His grandmother:
    "He and his friend were walking down the street, and they saw a window broken at a woman's house, and as they passed by, they said she came out shooting," said the boy's grandmother, Donna Virges.
    Who the hell lets a twelve year old child roam the streets at 11:00 PM in inner city Chicago?

This little hoodlum needs to be in DSS custody for protection from his neglectful grandmother!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hmmm. It sort of boils down to whom the police choose to believe. I can see it both ways. Not sure this was true SD. If the boys are known little terrors in the neighborhood she should have been able to identify them to the police for the rock throwing.
    Right or wrong, when the LEO's don't do anything but take him down town then release him. And the justice system does not convince them that their anti social behavior will cost them dearly. Sooner or later someone will take the law into their own hands. Sounds like it was just a matter of who and when. Reading the article, they were know and regularly reported/picked up for this stuff. Play big boy games win big boy prizes. Or like I used to tell the kids I worked with, "You want to act like a man, expect to get treated like one."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links