How Can They Not Reach A Decision?

This is a discussion on How Can They Not Reach A Decision? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...7265915110.txt So the murder case against one of the Petit family muderers is in the hand of the jurors today and they failed to reach ...

Thread: How Can They Not Reach A Decision?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

How Can They Not Reach A Decision?

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...7265915110.txt

So the murder case against one of the Petit family muderers is in the hand of the jurors today and they failed to reach a decision and will continue tomorrow. I can't imagine they will need a lot of time to reach a verdict.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

There is a great variety of folks that juries are picked from and they have like sixteen counts to decide on.

Many times it is just that one that the others have to convince.

If I were on that jury, I'd be ready to vote about five minutes after we got back into the jury room.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As I understand it it looks like they are trying to figure out which BG did what to arrive at the proper verdict. That could take some time. Part of what they are deciding is who, if anyone, gets the needle.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Guilty on 16 of 17 counts

The jury found Hayes not guilty on a first degree arson charge.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member

Thumbs up

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

SNIP
    Of those, six are crimes that make him eligible for the death penalty. The same jury that sat during the three-week trial is now to begin a penalty phase to determine whether Mr. Hayes, 47, is to be sentenced to death. The trial is to continue on Oct. 18 with the penalty phase, which could last a month.
    SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    The jury found Hayes not guilty on a first degree arson charge
    Yah, I saw on the news last night that the jury asked the judge if pouring the gasoline constituted arson. The judge said 'no'. I guess that charge gets saved for the dirtbag that lit the match?

Grrrrrr.....

I think that due to the enormous publicity surrounding this trial, the jury had to make a good show of it. Also, given that they had 17 counts to consider individually, I'm not surprised the deliberations went into a second day. The biggest debate was probably over the arson charge, the only "not guilty" verdict.

A buncha years ago I testified in a murder trial in Litchfield County (CT). Although I was unfortunately a defense witness, I stayed in close touch with the State Trooper who was in charge of the case. He said the jury didn't even sit down before they arrived at a guilty verdict, but they stayed in the jury room for 45 minutes to make it look good!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yah, I saw on the news last night that the jury asked the judge if pouring the gasoline constituted arson. The judge said 'no'. I guess that charge gets saved for the dirtbag that lit the match?

Grrrrrr.....
    So assisting directly with the crime of arson does not constitute arson? Well, I guess i'll go plant a bomb somewhere, as long as someone else pulls the trigger I am not responsible for blowing up anything!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

It's the lawyers.... They put the "spin" on the facts... They learn how to distort the evidence and confuse the "ordinary" jurors ! There should be ONE question:

Did A cause the death of B... really pretty simple

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    So if its legal to use deadly force to stop arson, if the guy is pouring gas around your house with you in it and you stop the threat via your firearm your not justified? Even if he isn't the one going to light the match?

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    So if its legal to use deadly force to stop arson, if the guy is pouring gas around your house with you in it and you stop the threat via your firearm your not justified? Even if he isn't the one going to light the match?
    In Connecticut, you are indeed justified in using deadly force to stop an arsonist about to burn your house.

In the Petit case under discussion in this thread, that was NOT the situation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am definitely glad the jury came back relatively quickly with the verdict, and I don't see it as a big deal that he was not convicted on the arson charge. About the only that chaps my backside is how long this scumbag will be sitting on death row before getting the needle. Dr. Petit deserves closure sooner than that.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I were on that jury, I'd be ready to vote about five minutes after we got back into the jury room.
    ^^^^^What ret said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This knuckledragger would be swingin' by sundown if it was up to me.

What a dreg of humanity.

We need to have a real life Judge Dred, for just these inhumane animals , who prey on, and infiltrate society.

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links