Budget woes mean fewer officers and less training

This is a discussion on Budget woes mean fewer officers and less training within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To the mods: Did I post this correctly or Should I have posted just the link? More reasons why to carry. Budget woes mean fewer ...

Thread: Budget woes mean fewer officers and less training

To the mods: Did I post this correctly or Should I have posted just the link?

More reasons why to carry.

Survey finds 70 percent of agencies cut or eliminated training programs

WASHINGTON—Police departments around the country are facing major budget cuts, which often means fewer officers on the street. And, a new report has found that officers who do make it on to the street, may not be as well trained as in previous years.

A survey of 608 law enforcement agencies found that nearly 70 percent of police agencies cut back or eliminated training programs this year as part of local government budget reductions, according to the Police Executive Research Forum, a Washington-based think tank. The report found that cuts included a wide range of programs, from ethics and basic legal training to instruction on the proper use of force, according to an article in USA Today.

However, less training was a better option than fewer officers, Tulsa’s Police Chief Chuck Jordan told the publication. He said his department's entire in-service training program was shuttered for a year, beginning in June 2009. "We needed to keep people on the street and saw the cuts to training as a bridge to better times," said Jordan.

The impact of such cuts may not be readily apparent, but authors of the report say it could create serious problems in the near future. "When you pull away the support beams of a building, it doesn't fall down immediately," said Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, in the article. "But eventually, it's going to have an impact."

The importance of good FTO's will only increase.

VIP Member
    The academy teaches you only the basics of how it should be done. The street and your FTO show you the real world.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Cool

My department has increased it's FTO program by 4 weeks and we are now doing firearms training and qualification once a year instead of twice. On that note we have not had to eliminate any posistions and can hire to replace retirements and resignations.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Sponsored Links