8 shots? - Page 2

8 shots?

This is a discussion on 8 shots? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Janq Yet another excellent example of what _not_ to do as related to police arrival toward crime. * First and foremost wait ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yet another excellent example of what _not_ to do as related to police arrival toward crime.

* First and foremost wait for the police to contact you...Don't be running up on them especially in the dark.

* Don't be pointing and gesturing toward them. You may be able to hear and well understand yourself, but they may not and that leads to misunderstandings.

* Do not disobey/ignore direct police commands! Regardless of what you think in the immediate needs to be said/done by you. See Erik Scott @ Costco.

* When calling the cops toward a crime do give an _accurate_ description. There are Black folk all around the US of A....And at every street corner in LA. Duh!.
    Give an accurate and _full_ description such as estimated height & weight, build type, clothing, hair color AND style along with direction of travel last seen.
    Saying 'I saw a black man!' is just useless, outside of say Appalachia or Alaska where we Black's just don't tend at all to hang out.

Thank goodness nobody was harmed here.

- Janq
    Sounds like you should add: Don't be West African or from a foreign culture, because failure to be 'Murrican and understand city cultural memes and police expectations should be punished by being shot to death. Or at least missed a lot.

I don't care what it looked like, this trainee needs to not be a police officer. Ever. When citizens have to adapt their behavior to accommodate the Police, it is not longer America.

If the Managers actions were so threatening,then why didn't the FTO fire also,I'm gonna bet this guy just took his last ride in the drivers seat of a Police car
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have gotten into trouble early in my LE years for being a "cowboy" as the brass likes to call it. I have chased down badguys on foot while they were in cars. One time, I was chasing a drug dealer who jumped in a pickup truck, so as he was driving off, I jumped in the back of his truck, pulled my weapon, pointed at his head, thru the rear window and made him stop. We had driven about 2 blocks by the time he realized I was serious. But, even though I made the brass mad due to doing whatever it took to get my man, noone innocent was ever hurt or put in jeopardy. There was a time when all lawmen took pride in their marksmenship, and knew how to handle a gun. Saddly, those days seem to be over. Pistolcraft is not important anymore. I am no longer a "cowboy" by their standards, as I have mellowed and realize my mortality more. But I am now considered a "cowboy" because I always max out during qualifications. Some of my peers think I am a "gun nut". I said all of that to explain that there has been a dramatic shift in the method of law enforcement today. Most agencies put more emphasis on college degrees and public image than being the "dogs" that chase the wolves. I have a few years left before I hang it up, but from what I see everyday, law enforcement has become a weakened group of highly educated social workers, who do not know the people in the community they serve. It makes me sick when I go to the range and see officers struggle to qualify because they can't shoot. Many are given second and even third chances. It gets harder every year just to hang on. From where I stand, I see the armed citizen a much more effective deterrent to crime than the average community LE agency. Standards of proffeincy have dropped, physical standards drop, all influenced by the politics of the day. Sorry, rant over. Just got angry after reading post concerning total incompetence of deputy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Thank God the cop can't shoot. Time to leave the force.

Here is a report from the early 90's which examined the differences between civilian/police shootings;

Citizens show amazing accuracy and self-restraint with firearms
    Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606). (23) And readers of Newsweek learned in 1993 that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high." (24)

^^^I, for the life of me cannot remember where I got this information^^^

But it clearly shows, people shoot the right person way more often, simply because, usually its going down right now, and to US.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    am i the only one picturing a cartoon wall with the silhouette of a man outlined in bullet holes?...i cant imagine what was going through that managers mind when the bullets started coming his way but I'm sure a new pair of shorts were in order...

^^^His thoughts going through his head;^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I can't believe this is happening to me, this is the last time I call in a robbery in progress. I'll just shoot the s*# myself ".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Glockman10mm,

That because of all the lawyers around! They write laws that no one can understand ( that's how they like it )then become judges and enforce the laws. Plus everyone being "sue happy" ( again because of the lawyers ) we are frozen in our tracks ! I've always thought highly of LEO, but you guys have it tough now a days. ( lawyers again ) Glad to see your retiring soon. Good luck

forgot to add: I'm sure the officer was scared ****less !
    If he had hit the clerk 8 times we would be calling for his ass too !!! so damned if ya do, damned if ya don't !!!

Administrator
    Somebody was extremely lucky that somebody else couldn't hit what he wanted to hit.

It would appear that two somebodys were lucky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links