Is your car worth it? (58y/o Male stabbed to death)

This is a discussion on Is your car worth it? (58y/o Male stabbed to death) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What ever happened to SA? This man unfortunately didn't see what was coming. Your car is not worth it. http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct...p-/news-metro/ PINELLAS PARK - A 58-year-old ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your car worth it? (58y/o Male stabbed to death)

Is your car worth it? (58y/o Male stabbed to death)

What ever happened to SA? This man unfortunately didn't see what was coming. Your car is not worth it.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct...p-/news-metro/

PINELLAS PARK - A 58-year-old man was fatally stabbed by two men he caught breaking in to his car early this morning, police said.

The man, who has not been identified, looked out his second-story window in Building 2 at the Whetstone apartment complex, 8400 49th St. N., about 1:30 a.m. and saw the pair breaking into his white Toyota Camry, police said.

The man confronted the pair, who attacked him, stabbing him several times in the upper body and legs, police said.

The man managed to get back into his apartment and call 911. He gave police a description of his attackers. One was a young white man, 5 feet 10 inches tall, possibly with red hair, and wearing a black hooded t-shirt. The other was a young black man, 5 feet 6 inches tall, wearing a black T-shirt over a white T-shirt.

"We got two reports that he was wearing one (T-shirt) and took it off as he was fleeing the scene," police Lt. Paul Andrews said of one of the attackers. "We suspect they have blood evidence on the clothing as well."

Paramedics rushed the victim to a hospital, where he died at 4:35 a.m.

Police said they found five more vehicles in the apartment complex that had been burglarized, and the radios were stolen.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Pinellas Park Police Department or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS (8477).

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...p-car-burglars

Here's the kicker everyone,

It wasn't even his car, he didn't own one!

Police response time was around one minute from the initial 911 call.
    Last edited by schwaa; October 7th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Nothing in my car is worth my life
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

mrm
    Nothing in my car is worth my life either but they better be pretty sure something in there is worth theirs!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Nothing in my car is worth my life either but they better be pretty sure something in there is worth theirs!
    their freedom is worth their lives...they dont think about being caught...their focus is the short term take...

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    their freedom is worth their lives...they dont think about being caught...their focus is the short term take...
    Boy aint that the truth, around parts where I live there have been just a huge amounts of breakins but near as the police can tell it is mostly kids breaking into cars that are not locked, I hope this does not escalate into this type of scenario.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

This wouldn't be a problem - I'd grab a sword and gun on the way out the door and if the punks tried to stick me with a knife, I'd remove their limbs from their bodies. This guy should have armed himself with something - a baseball bat, a shotgun, but going out unarmed wasn't the right move.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    This wouldn't be a problem - I'd grab a sword and gun on the way out the door and if the punks tried to stick me with a knife, I'd remove their limbs from their bodies. This guy should have armed himself with something - a baseball bat, a shotgun, but going out unarmed wasn't the right move.
    +1

This is the sad truth. No way you approach a situation like this without something to defend yourself and wound the others. At least a baseball bat.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I'm sorry did you say a SWORD and a gun??? Why would you take both? If you have both wouldn't you just take the gun. How does that saying go, Don't bring a knife to a gun fight
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Ha suckers don’t have a car. And if I did it certainly wouldn’t be worth my life or anyone elses.

It does not matter what you are armed with! It is not worth it! Sure you have a gun, but who is to say the BG's breaking into your car don't either? Can you watch 4 hands at once, when its dark out, at 1:30AM after waking up from a deep sleep? There is nothing in my car worth my life. Response times for LE at 1:30am in this county is probably less than 4 minutes.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Whatever else can be said, it can be an absolutely deadly risk to face and challenge criminals in the act of doing their crimes. If you're going to demand to know what someone thinks they're doing destroying or stealing your things, you'd damned well better be prepared for the person to turn violently upon you with intent to kill. To go into such a situation with a pie-in-the-sky belief that a pair of criminals will simply run when confronted can be the least intelligent thing you do in this life, as this situation shows is entirely possible.

This is the sort of situation where a couple of "defenders" with shotguns is about what's required in order to ensure coming out on top, but anything less might well simply ensure that shooting is what it comes to. No telling whether one or both is armed. Texas has it right, that the risk is to patently deadly to warrant treating it as such, though many states simply won't "cover" a person's actions to anywhere near that (TX) degree.

I'm all for defending myself and my loved ones. And I'm all for defending my property, when appropriate. But there are times and places when the odds just don't add up, particularly when dealing with completely insured items such as the car and its contents. For myself, particularly if I'm the sole person dealing with the situation, this is one scenario where I'll be using 911 and staying inside to protect my family. Were I on the ranch/farm/whatever in the country, that might be something different, but then I certainly wouldn't be heading out alone with a pistol in the hopes of turning the disadvantages to my advantage through what would almost certainly require gunfire to accomplish.

For an apparently unarmed person who thought too highly of the criminals in his town, he's now dead for it. I hope he's happy now, "manly" act that it might be called by some. I hope by his own standards he'd view this as a "win," because there doesn't appear to be much evidence of a "victory" here, at least from my vantage point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Is it always the material things, or is it the principle, in that some people don't like being ripped off by others regardless of what they take?

I'm sorry did you say a SWORD and a gun??? Why would you take both?
    You ever have somebody come at you with a sword? 'Nuff said.

Also, per some remarks above, I'd like to point out that a person's vehicle isn't just some random possession, like a deck of playing cards or something. For many who only have one car, it's a vital means of securing a livelihood. It gets you to work, to the store to get groceries, it's essential for the routine tasks of daily existence. It may not be palatable to sit in your living room, calling the cops and watching some clowns vandalizing your ride.

Personally, I couldn't tolerate such a thing for 5 seconds.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm fortunate enough to live in a jurisdiction where deadly force can be used to defend property, so I would confront them bullets first.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Baseball bat my butt. A boomer backed by a Beretta, then play the slide song criminals are so familiar with.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links